One day in Boston. Is this too much?

taffy12

I'm not actually visiting on a cruise, but I can think of no better people to ask for advice, so I hope you don't mind.

I’m going to have one day in Boston and I have some questions. First…is it cool to do Boston on a Sunday? I’m assuming that a big city like that will still be thriving during the weekends, but I just want to make sure I don’t miss out. Second…I’ll be staying an hour away, and visiting in mid-October when the days are shorter, so I know I won’t have that much time. Tell me if I’m biting off more than I can chew, and if so, what’s a must-do and what can be dropped:

I’m planning to do the hop-on, hop-off tour through Old Town Trolley (almost two hours start-to-finish), which includes a Boston Harbor cruise. I’d like to visit the new Boston Tea Party Museum, the Paul Revere House, and the Skywalk Observatory at Prudential Center. I want to spend some time at Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, and check out the Old Corner Bookstore.

So what do you think? Too much?

Edited by taffy12

First, realize that the Head of the Charles regatta is Oct 22-23 this year, so stay away from that weekend, as traffic and everything else will be nuts.

The harbor cruise is not included in the 2 hours to complete the trolley tour, while the ticket is included, the tour is additional time, and I'm not sure its worth it.

The great thing about Boston is that you can walk nearly everywhere. You could park near the Pru, and then walk to the Tea Part Museum (1.5 miles), then walk less than a mile to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall, and then into the North End for Paul Revere and the Old Corner Bookstore. The Freedom trail is only 2.5 miles long and takes you from the Common to Charlestown Navy Yard and the USS Constitution. Taking the HoHo may save some time, but you may end up taking a tour around areas you don't care about, so it could also waste some time. Be prepared to fall into the "wander" mode and spend way too much time (well worth it) at the various sites and in between.

• 6 months later...

Hi. I know this thread is a little dated. We will be in Boston Nov. 4 2017 on a cruise and will probably do the same thing. What I probably want to do is take the bus around, then get off as it comes around near Quincy Market (something like stop15) and head over there. There is supposed to be cruise ship loop which we can get at stop 1.

The question I have is eating at Quincy. I am looking for lobster roll (maybe 2 different spots), clam chowder, and maybe even a whole lobster lunch. I know Quincy market is a bit touristy and I usually avoid those spots but this is our first trip to Boston and less than 8 hours to do it.

Recommendations for which spots for these meals is appreciated.

Boston Chowda is probably your best bet for a standup lobster roll at Quincy Market. There are other options you will see if you walk from one end to the other (5 minute walk?) as well as sit down options. Clam chowder there, too.

• 2 weeks later...

In seaport district there are many good restaurants incl legal waterfront, great views and food. Great lobster roll at little place next to harpoon brewery *which is a fun free tour and beer hall).