Men's Tuxedo Purchase Suggestions

Hello friends!

I have a question for you all. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Back in the 90's I was a Social Host on ships and enjoyed the use of a number of tuxedos provided to me by the lines for whom I worked. There was just something about putting a tuxedo on at night and going out and about on board.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first cruise as a passenger last year, but feel I would have enjoyed it more had I had better evening wear at my disposal. So, I am in search of a new tuxedo.

I am completely out of the loop as to what is currently considered in fashion, if men still wear cummerbunds, etc. So, I am reaching out to you all!

Sadly, I am not a rich man; I live on a college educator's salary. But, I can afford a yearly cruise and do want to be dressed more properly at night. Plus, my wife and I are looking at joining a local chamber choir, so, there will be need of a tuxedo there as well.

Please send your suggestions my way. Thank you!

I think a lot of it has to do with your own personal taste...the area of the country you're from etc in terms of what to wear with a tux. You can really just let your personality come out - if you so wish!

I've picked up tuxes over the years for my husband and sons, from the Brooks Brothers outlet and JosABank - at REALLY good prices. If you don't need one say - in 3 weeks - you can really just keep an eye on the sales, and get a great deal on some quality tuxedos.

I know people that have purchased tuxedos from tuxedo rental stores, and were really happy with them.

The men in our family prefer the vest to the cummerbund (and sometimes they don't wear either). I really have no idea if they've fallen out of fashion or not. You can talk to the folks at any formal wear store and they can usually tell you about the current styles/trends.

You can also just use google - tons of info online for this kind of stuff. Have fun shopping! :)

Men's Warehouse also has amazing deals on tuxes & tuxedo shirts. I think the traditional tux with shawl collar stands the test of time (never looks dated) & can be worn with vest, cummerbund or neither & always looks good. I'm on the hunt for a white (maybe cream) dinner jacket for DH for April right now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Black lapel, indochino and others will make you whatever you want.

http://www.blacktieguide.com has good info on classic styling.

Cummerbunds are still in use. I'm also shopping for my first to own rather than rent.

Lots of good options out there for tuxedo shirts. I like Ledbury shirts and will likely buy their tuxedo shirts when ready to pull that trigger. Proper Cloth has a lot of nice options too.

Seems like Men's Wearhouse or Nordstrom will set you up with a solid option at reasonable rates but may or may not have every feature you like.

In regards to style, the newer trim or slim fits are the way to go if you're of average to slim body shape. But I'd still recommend additional tailoring.

Cummerbunds are still in use, but personally I prefer the look of a vest. Vests also seem to stay in place better than cummerbunds. When the jacket comes off, I always see the back strap on cummerbunds sliding up a couple inches and instead of staying at the waistband.

• 2 weeks later...

DH has bought some very nice tuxedos at charity/thrift stores. The downside is that you can't be sure of finding the right one at the first visit. The upside (besides the price) is that you can try on different brands, styles and fits, to find what really suits you.

Lightweight pure wool looks best, and packs well.

Flat front trousers.

Self-tied bowtie and cufflinks are classic.

Happy hunting!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would also suggest that you check the sale rack of major department stores. My first dinner jacket was found at such a location at a truly reduced price. As a man who is difficult to fit, the jacket looked like it was tailor made for me. I was really surprised and pleased!

For an "inexpensive" tux, check JCPenney. I bought one a few years ago as a back-up tux to my main one for a very long cruise. It is a nice garment, but not the quality of Tux #1. Still it is worth the price. (And, besides, who is going to look into the jacket to see what the label says?)

Yes, vests and cummerbund are still worn and I have a few of each with matching ties. I am a person who becomes very warm, i.e. am very uncomfortable in that state, so heavily dressed. As a result, most recently, the vests and cummerbunds stay home. I have a lovely set of black onyx studs and cuff links to use with my formal shirts and they are perfectly appropriate as far as I am concerned.

If someone dares to think I am under-dressed, then stop looking at me!

For major league deals consider buying used on eBay or Poshmark or similar sites. I ended up buying a basic wool Jos A Bank for $20 with literally nothing wrong with it. I'm also eyeing a Zegna 15milmil15 tux that a guy has been trying to sell for months at $150 but I still haven't worn the first one yet.

• 4 months later...