Formal attire

Stitchman

Just noticed on the social media sites we can't mention, that people in general seem to be disappointed that cruise lines seem to be getting too relaxed regarding formal nights/attire etc. I think it's a real shame really.

I am starting to feel like I'm "old hat" because I like to dress for dinner on cruise (in fact "any") holiday. Classy holiday, dress classy. I think the "too relaxed" approach has spoilt things a bit.

Thoughts please 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

Thoughts please 😀

Facebook? You can say Facebook.

My thoughts are that 20 years ago the MDR was the ultimate in onboard dining; no specialty dining (Maybe a couple of ships had Portofino's by then for a minimal upcharge) was available. You got white glove service. You were served by a team of waitstaff that were not rushing around like maniacs. You had between course palette cleansers. There was no MyTimeDining so things ran with less chaos. You got to enjoy watching ice carvings by the pool and then having a genuine midnight buffet. They still had chimes for dinner and the food served was comparable to what you have to pay extra for today.

When cruise lines decided the MDR experience and quality was only to be "mediocre" the whole idea behind formal night started to feel forced and like a ploy to sell photos. Bring back excellent food and service and I'll take the suit. But I don't see that happening on any mainstream line, and frankly, I think it is for the better.

I think it is fine to have a choice. In almost 25 years I have seen the tux and ball gowns evolve. A little sad, but you have to move forward with the times. I do think that anyone wishing to dress up should still be able to, and enjoy a "special time." I do think dress standards should be enforced, including no shorts at night in the MDR. For men I think long pants and a collared shirt should be the norm.

I feel this way because unfortunately many people now come to dinner straight from the beach. Workout clothes seem to be what a lot of folks consider "casual." Had the experience of nearby table mates playing basketball (adult men) and we saw them. They also came to dinner straight from the game - sweaty clothes included.

I just think people should make an effort to be clean and fairly well dressed. MDR is no place for work out clothes, baseball hats, flip flops, beach wear.

I think it is fine to have a choice. In almost 25 years I have seen the tux and ball gowns evolve. A little sad, but you have to move forward with the times. I do think that anyone wishing to dress up should still be able to, and enjoy a "special time." I do think dress standards should be enforced, including no shorts at night in the MDR. For men I think long pants and a collared shirt should be the norm.

I feel this way because unfortunately many people now come to dinner straight from the beach. Workout clothes seem to be what a lot of folks consider "casual." Had the experience of nearby table mates playing basketball (adult men) and we saw them. They also came to dinner straight from the game - sweaty clothes included.

I just think people should make an effort to be clean and fairly well dressed. MDR is no place for work out clothes, baseball hats, flip flops, beach wear.

Agreed. That's what puts me off really. I personally think it's damn rude turning up to dinner in shorts and a baseball cap. It's just a bit rude really. Even on NCL you can't go in the main dining room in shorts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For me, I detest packing all the stuff for formal night. On our Allure cruise this past week, there was a definite range on formal nights from tux/ evening gown to shorts/jeans. we did the first formal night and then did WJ ont he second. We were too lazy to get dressed and found that's WJ had pretty much everything MDR had each night. I found Chops service to be similar to MDR previous service.

Even on NCL you can't go in the main dining room in shorts.

Yes you can. Just got off the Escape and only Le Bistro and Bayamo require pants. All 3 MDR's allow shorts. I know on the smaller ships usually 1 MDR does not allow that.

It realistically represents what is going on for normal dress, IMHO.

+30 years ago, I saw jackets and ties to work when I was an intern. 25 years ago, I had to wear a tie to work. Then that changed to not require a tie. Then it changed to have casual Friday's. Now it's ok to wear jeans, polo shirts, and tennis shoes to work.

Going out has changed, too- one used to see tuxes at the really high end formal concerts. Don't see any of those anymore, AND you see people in far more casual clothing.

I like to dress up, as do my wife- so we do. I don't really care what people think about what I wear, nor do I worry about what others wear.

When we took our first cruise, we dressed to the nines for formal night. As we have cruised over the past 13 years, we have seen a steady decline in the use of formal wear to the point where I think I saw 3 Tuxes on the AOS on our cruise in Feb 2017. I have also changed in my views with regards to this over the 13 years. I dress for work every day and the last thing I feel like on a cruise in the caribbean heat is to put on a suit and tie.

This last cruise was the first time I have not taken a jacket with me or a tie. When I looked around, I was more in the majority than the minority. I even saw one "gentleman" wearing basketball shorts with a matching jersey, hat and running shoes. It was quite well coordinated but the staff in the dining room welcomed him as much as they welcomed the man in the suit behind him so I don't think they much care anymore either.

The idea of cruising being for the wealthy is gone now. There are lines that still cater to them, but the price reflects the experience and I am sure that "new money" still does not want to get dressed for dinner when on vacation if they are forced to do it all the time.

I understand people not liking others in basketball shorts or workout clothes, but to me it doesn't bother me. I did wear a suit on the first formal night on our cruise 2 weeks ago, but the 2nd formal, lost the coat and kept the tie. I may take one shirt/tie next year, but debating on that.

For nights other than formal nights, I did wear *gasp* shorts in the dining room, but they were khaki shorts with a nice polo (basically what I wear to work). I try to not wear long pants unless I have to ever, as I get hot easily, and am then very uncomfortable. Right now, there are highs in the 40's and I am still wearing shorts to work.

In the end, I try to be respectful, but do not feel the need to buy new clothes and dress up on a vacation, but will try to be (semi) respectful.

I understand people not liking others in basketball shorts or workout clothes, but to me it doesn't bother me. I did wear a suit on the first formal night on our cruise 2 weeks ago, but the 2nd formal, lost the coat and kept the tie. I may take one shirt/tie next year, but debating on that.

For nights other than formal nights, I did wear *gasp* shorts in the dining room, but they were khaki shorts with a nice polo (basically what I wear to work). I try to not wear long pants unless I have to ever, as I get hot easily, and am then very uncomfortable. Right now, there are highs in the 40's and I am still wearing shorts to work.

In the end, I try to be respectful, but do not feel the need to buy new clothes and dress up on a vacation, but will try to be (semi) respectful.

Ironic, others not wanting to wear clothes on holiday that they wear for work.........but you're the complete opposite [emoji41]

I still enjoy dressing up to go to a fine dining restaurant. Unfortunately, the MDR no longer fits that description. I actually find it a bit silly that formal attire is suggested in the MDR and not in specialty restaurants (where dressing up is more appropriate). As long as cruise-lines continue to dumb-down the MDR experience, guests dress will follow.

I was definitely surprised on the holiday cruise this year when the table of 20-something year olds next to our table all showed up in shorts (even short short cutoff jean shorts) and tshirts for New Years Eve. I guess they don't enforce the dress code anymore. I really enjoy dressing up for dinner and it is getting to be now that I feel overdressed if I wear a long gown because most women seem to moving towards cocktail dresses. I know not everyone wants to dress up, but I feel that at the very least a pair of slacks and blouse for women and a button up shirt and slacks for men is not too much to expect.

I was definitely surprised on the holiday cruise this year when the table of 20-something year olds next to our table all showed up in shorts (even short short cutoff jean shorts) and tshirts for New Years Eve. I guess they don't enforce the dress code anymore. I really enjoy dressing up for dinner and it is getting to be now that I feel overdressed if I wear a long gown because most women seem to moving towards cocktail dresses. I know not everyone wants to dress up, but I feel that at the very least a pair of slacks and blouse for women and a button up shirt and slacks for men is not too much to expect.

I am not trying to nitpick, but while it may have been a dress code in the past, it is clearly stated that is it now a suggestion, there is no dress code.

It's just a shame because things aren't special anymore.

No one wants to make an effort.

As long as I and my lady look the cobblers next to these scruffy buggers, who cares I suppose. Cruise ships will be the new "Benidorm" at sea.

As long as I and my lady look the cobblers next to these scruffy buggers, who cares I suppose. Cruise ships will be the new "Benidorm" at sea.

I bolded the part I want to address. Even though I likely will not be in a floor length gown when you see me, I still make "an effort". I may look more casual than some, but I will have made the effort. A nice outfit that suits me and fits me, with curated accessories, hair done, make-up done.

I am a SAHM, I love dressing up on the ship! It's my only chance all year to wear a fancy dress and get all fancied up.

Stitchman your comment cracked me up but I think it needs subtitles for the non-English!

It follows the trend of the work place environment getting more casual with each generation. I haven't been on a cruise but I always love dressing up for events and holidays even though I dress business casual-business professional for work and outside of work.

It follows the trend of the work place environment getting more casual with each generation. I haven't been on a cruise but I always love dressing up for events and holidays even though I dress business casual-business professional for work and outside of work.

Haven't been on one yet you mean ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

I am a SAHM, I love dressing up on the ship! It's my only chance all year to wear a fancy dress and get all fancied up.

Stitchman your comment cracked me up but I think it needs subtitles for the non-English!

SAHM? I want to know if I am one, too. I do love dressing up aboard a ship.

I love to dress for dinner. I wear a gown for both formal nights. I wish Royal would at least keep a few ships formal. And not ones that are too far from me😉. My husband does not have a tux but does enjoy dressing up. He wears nice tailored suits to dinner. When we have our daughters with us they wear gowns on formal night and cocktail dresses on non formal nights. We all enjoy it! And i love seeing my husband in a suit. As far as packing I don't wear a cinderella type gown, no giant puffs. So they take up no more room in my luggage than a pair of pants and shirt would. I wear heels every night and jewelry so thats nothing extra there either.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

I am sure some like to "make an effort" by taking a bunch of extra clothes, accessories, shoes, etc and then spending time getting dolled up, but there are plenty of people that want to relax on vacation (I am one of them), and don't care about what others think of my outfit.

I am glad it is a little more relaxed on standard lines (not the high end cruises), and that people have the option. On our cruise last month, you would not probably have felt overdressed, because there was quite a gamut of people. I was in a shirt/tie (coat one of the days), some were in a polo, while others were in a full penquin suit with a top hat and cane.

This give people the option to do what makes their vacation special to them. On our next cruise (spring break with our kids), we will probably not even take dress up clothes and maybe do the windjammer for dinner on formal nights.