Where Are The Old Sitmar Ships Princess Bought?

MTJSR

Some of you may remember the Fairsea, Fairwind and Fairsky that Sitmar cruises sold to Princess. Does anyone know where these ships are and what name they sail under?

Both the Fairsea and Fairwind have met the breakers at Alang. Here is my post a week ago about Fairwind:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=5524928#post5524928

Fairsea met the breakers a few months ago as China Seas Discovery.

Fairsky was recently changed and I can't remember her new name.

Here are some more links on their history:

http://www.ssmaritime.com/sitmar2.htm

http://www.e-cruiseworld.com/pacsky01.htm

FairSky, later Sky Princess, is now known as Pacific Sky, sailing for P&O Australlia, but its sale to Pulmantour of Spain has been announced. I believe she is to transfer May 0f 2007 (or is it 2006?).

We sailed on Sky Princess on her last trip as a Princess ship, San Francisco to Sydney, 9-00, 27 nights, visitiing many WW2 battlegrounds. It was a wonderful trip.

While we are on the subject of older ships does anyone know whatever happened to the ships that sailed on the old Matson Lines out of S.F. and then sailed back and forth to Hawaii. Druke brought up the Sky Princess and that ship brought back good memories as we sailed on her in July of 2000 to Alaska. Loved that ship.

Marilyn

How sad to hear that the Fair Wind which was my first ship to cruise on when I was just 9 years old in 1986 has now left. I have compared every cruise ship to it since then and none have lived up to the memories. We had a room steward on the Diamond Princess last year who was previously was with Sitmar and we had a nice talk about the differences in cruising from Sitmar to Princess. The one good note was that a cruise actually costs less money per day now then it did 20 years ago :)

And don’t forget the other ships Princess got in the Sitmar purchase…Star Princess was being built as Fair Majesty and was re-christened when completed. She went to P&O for a stint as Aurora (I think was her name) and now sails as Ocean Village. Crown 1 and Regal Princess were both on paper at the time. Crown 1 is sailing as AIDA’Blu for a German line and Regal will be going to P&O Australia (in one of Princess’ most irresponsible fleet moves) to replace Pacific Sky/Sky Princess/Fairsky.

She went to P&O for a stint as Aurora (I think was her name) and now sails as Ocean Village.

She sailed as Arcadia.

We did a segment of her World Cruise in 1998 from Hong Kong to Sydney.One of the first ships to come out with an atrium.A delightful ship. We have a lot to thank Sitmar for.

I think it is irresponsible too.

They should be sending us Dawn Princess!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kiwi cruiser,

sorry to butt in on your thread but I wanted to tell you that my daughter just moved to Aukland. It sure is a long way from New Mexico but I hear it's beautiful.:) :(

The SS Independance is moored here in San Francisco (still in her hawaii colors) she was bought by NCL and they have not made up their minds what do do with her, she is just sitting here rusting.
Didn’t they buy United States too? I think their thought of buying both ships was to refurbish them and put them into exclusive US service. Given Norway – also an NCL ship – in on her way to the breakers, it doesn’t bode well for either United States or Independence.
I think it is irresponsible too.

They should be sending us Dawn Princess!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, we’ll keep Dawn Princess right here, thank you. Home porting her in San Francisco is brilliant and something Princess has done right. It makes one wonder who is running their fleet operations, however…untreated schizophrenia is an ugly thing. Besides, Dawn Princess was slated to take the place of Pacific Princess 2, not Sky Princess. Since it’s P&O Australia – one of the P&O/Princess brands, how about they just send you one of the new ships they are building for AIDA instead.

Hi Kiwi cruiser,

sorry to butt in on your thread but I wanted to tell you that my daughter just moved to Aukland. It sure is a long way from New Mexico but I hear it's beautiful.:) :(

Nice to hear,trust she likes it down here.We are in the middle of our summer at the moment,great weather these last few days.Cruise season is also under way.Just had visit's from Diamond Princess and Statendam,but we don't see as many cruise ships as you get up there.

My wife and I had our honeymoon cruise on the Sitmar Fairwind 20 years ago this spring. We had a wonderful 10 day cruise of the eastern caribbean. Service was fantastic, food was superb. My wife still talks how she has never had a cesear salad as good as the one on the ship. I knew she was soon sold to Princess. So sad to hear she was finally scrapped.

Our next cruise was on the Festivale. Looks like she was scrapped too. I guess that means my wife and I are getting old or we need to cruise again. Raising kids have kept us off the ships but we are planning our next one for this spring.

I sailed on the Fairsea to Mexico on my two first cruises in the 80's. It was great I think it was my best cruise ever maybe because it was my first. I also cruised the Independance around Hawaii. I loved it also. That was about 15 years ago. Reading about them they brought back really good memories.

Delores

Thanks for all the info. Seems we all have excellent stories to share about Sitmar. I was 14 when we sailed the Fairsea out of San Francisco to Alaska. I had the time of my life and to date that is the most memorable trip or experience I have ever had. The food was fantastic and the service white glove. I think I was the youngest on the trip so the staff kept me full of delicious pasteries. Loved the cream swans and chocolate covered custard pastry balls. For you old Matson line lovers, My grandfather was the purchasing agent for the cruise line and took trips on the Lurline and Matsonia (spelling?) all the time.

Our first two cruises were on the Fairwind in 1978/1979. I can truly say that the service and experience that we experienced on Sitmar have not been surpassed on any of the Princess cruises we have been on..

Archived