Portland Maine Tours from Dock?

MsTabbyKats

Yes, plenty if taxis and tours incl trolley tour, duck boat, beer tours etc.

Consider taking a taxi to Portland Head Light (20 min). If you are going to Kennebunkport, go with a ship tour. Taxi will be very expensive.

The Old Port is right off the ship. Tons of great restaurants and shops. Lovely and very walkable. You will love my town.

When we were there, there were several 'volunteers' helping cruise passengers get acclimated to Portland. They answered any and all questions, steered people to the right buses, had maps and suggestions as to what to do and how to get there. There were also taxi's there that were offering to take passengers where they might like to go. Touring with them really isn't the thing to do as it would be very expensive.

Cheers

Len

Yes, plenty if taxis and tours incl trolley tour, duck boat, beer tours etc.

Consider taking a taxi to Portland Head Light (20 min). If you are going to Kennebunkport, go with a ship tour. Taxi will be very expensive.

The Old Port is right off the ship. Tons of great restaurants and shops. Lovely and very walkable. You will love my town.

We will be there on Sunday August 30th. Still haven't committed to anything. I am interested in seeing the Portland Head Light so I am glad to come across your advice about taking a taxi! Am thinking about renting bikes on Peakes Island or take the mail boat ferry tour. But does that operate on Sunday? Definitely want to have Lobster someplace too!

Edited by kahliasmom

We will be there on Sunday August 30th. Still haven't committed to anything. I am interested in seeing the Portland Head Light so I am glad to come across your advice about taking a taxi! Am thinking about renting bikes on Peakes Island or take the mail boat ferry tour. But does that operate on Sunday? Definitely want to have Lobster someplace too!

Easy 20 minutes ferry trip to Peaks. Terminal (Casco Bay Lines) is adjacent to the pier where you will dock. Regular schedule every day. Google it.

Mail Boat is fun but long ride,

When we were there, there were several 'volunteers' helping cruise passengers get acclimated to Portland. They answered any and all questions, steered people to the right buses, had maps and suggestions as to what to do and how to get there. There were also taxi's there that were offering to take passengers where they might like to go. Touring with them really isn't the thing to do as it would be very expensive.

Cheers

Len

Len, nice to see that you value our volunteer services. I am one of those volunteers. We are called Frontline and are part of the Visitors and Convention Bureau. We are at kiosks (right as you get off the ship) at both piers in Portland and can offer lots of free info and maps. Portland is very easy to walk around. Lots of taxis and tours right outside the gates and down Commercial Street. You will love my hometown!

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed our time in Portland very much. We have good friends who live in Gorham and we come up every year to visit. In fact just got back after spending a week in the lakes and mountain region (based in Stoneham). We did this so called 'Moose Loop' about 150 mile drive thru that area starting from from Bethel. Some of the most beautiful country we have seen in a long time.

Cheers

Len