Shuttle from ship to port gate at Civitavecchia

Educators2

Our ship docks at Civitavecchia on October 15. We are on the NCL Spirit. I am thinking about a cooking class in Civitavecchia that I read about in the Port section. I would have to meet the tour leader at the port gate.

How often do the shuttles run? Are they run by the ship or the Port Authority.

I am concerned that there are five ships in port and it might be hard to get a shuttle.

Anyone have experience with this? The class is in the morning.

Thanks so much.

Susan

The shuttles run almost constantly and there are dedicated ones for each ship. They leave the ship as soon as they are mostly full. It won't be any problem to catch a shuttle to the port gates, but be sure that you know where the new dropoff point is in relation to where you're going.

The new drop off point is not by the port gates. It is in a vehicle park in Via Turco which is a bit further out.

We intend doing our own thing in Civitavecchia, including a walk along the water front, a little shopping, meal in local restaurant. Are you able please to advise whether Via Turbo is within walking distance of the promenade and if not are we able to walk from the ship to the port gates and then continue onto the promenade.

We intend doing our own thing in Civitavecchia, including a walk along the water front, a little shopping, meal in local restaurant. Are you able please to advise whether Via Turbo is within walking distance of the promenade and if not are we able to walk from the ship to the port gates and then continue onto the promenade.

You will not be able to walk from the ship to the port gates but the place where the port bus drops you is only about half a mile from the centre of town and the start of the promenade.

As Bobal says, you can walk from Via Turco to the promenade, also to the market. It's walkable to the train station as well, but as it takes 10-15 minutes longer than it would do from the old port gates stop, so people taking the train to Rome might prefer to take a bus to the train station from Via Turco.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

We're arriving by train at the Civitavecchia station and I was planning on walking to the Fortress and then around the Fortress to the main gate. Does anyone know if we can catch a bus there to our ship?

Unclear. Since the main transit spot has been moved, I doubt the buses would stop at the old spot and take on more passengers, but you never know. You CAN take a bus from the train station to the drop off area for .80 euro, then the free port shuttle to your ship.

Otherwise you'd be walking close to a mile with your luggage to get to the shuttle pick up point.

We spent a couple of hours walking around Cevitavecchia on turnaround day. It was very relaxing and quiet. I am sure you can walk around town easily especially with no luggage to tag along. Have fun! Here are some pictures of our time there.

Thank you for the great pictures and captions. Just before you got to the market you have a picture that shows a stairway. Did you have to walk up all those stairs to get to the market area? I have a mobility scooter and I am wondering how I would get up those stairs to go to the market?

Wendy

Thank you for the great pictures and captions. Just before you got to the market you have a picture that shows a stairway. Did you have to walk up all those stairs to get to the market area? I have a mobility scooter and I am wondering how I would get up those stairs to go to the market?

Wendy

Hi, Wendy. Thank you for your kind words.

We were just wandering around town and that stairs (Via Duca degli Abruzzi) looked interesting so we just walked up. Plus, we smelled some delicious baking aroma at that corner so we checked the bakery out. I am sure you can use the other streets, like Via Risorgimento which is a block down to get to the market without dealing with the stairs. I was checking google map and I believe that market is at Piazza Regina Margherita. It is a covered parking lot type set up with vendors selling their wares there. The market is within the area of Via Cooperazione, Via Monte Grappa, Via delle Case Nuove, and Via Barberini. Hope this helps. Have a wonderful trip!

Hi, Wendy. Thank you for your kind words.

We were just wandering around town and that stairs (Via Duca degli Abruzzi) looked interesting so we just walked up. Plus, we smelled some delicious baking aroma at that corner so we checked the bakery out. I am sure you can use the other streets, like Via Risorgimento which is a block down to get to the market without dealing with the stairs. I was checking google map and I believe that market is at Piazza Regina Margherita. It is a covered parking lot type set up with vendors selling their wares there. The market is within the area of Via Cooperazione, Via Monte Grappa, Via delle Case Nuove, and Via Barberini. Hope this helps. Have a wonderful trip!

Thank you so much for the info. I feel much better now to go by scooter.