Menus have glaring errors

I was looking over the menus that people have posted. I noticed several glaring mistakes regarding menu items being listed as vegetarian or gluten free.

Snow crab salad is listed as vegetarian.

I saw several items listed as gluten free that from the description contain wheat. Items like pita bread and bread stuffing.

Then there are other items like fruit soups and salads that sound as if they should be vegetarian, but have no vegetarian symbol.

I guess my family of 4 vegetarians will be asking a million questions.

Plus, only one vegetarian entree choice. Really?

We were on the adventure of the seas over New Years with my vegetarian daughter and noticed these errors as well. We asked our waiters why the snow crab salad was listed as vegetarian and he said it was available as a vegetarian dish. Huh isn't it then just salad? our family chose not to eat in the dining room every night because the vegetarian menu was lacking. The old menus had many more choices. I remember one of the entrees was a Mexican dish that looked like chips and salsa

I thought it was pretty standard in restaurants that dishes with a (v) for vegetarian next to them meant that there was a vegetarian option available. Otherwise, I would think those dishes not having meat in them would be a pretty big giveaway that they are in fact vegetarian (therefore negating the need for them to be labelled as such). Same for meals listed with a (gf) next to them. It just means that a gluten free option is available...

I'm sure we'll figure it all out. Plus, I read that you can request special meals to be made for you. Which is good, because honestly the one vegetarian choice doesn't always sound the best.

I'm just a little surprised that there aren't more vegetarian entree choices. Being a vegetarian is pretty mainstream now.

I thought it was pretty standard in restaurants that dishes with a (v) for vegetarian next to them meant that there was a vegetarian option available. Otherwise, I would think those dishes not having meat in them would be a pretty big giveaway that they are in fact vegetarian (therefore negating the need for them to be labelled as such). Same for meals listed with a (gf) next to them. It just means that a gluten free option is available...

I understand what you are saying. Still experience has told me that people/staff don't have a good understanding of what items are vegetarian or gluten free.

At a bread store I asked an employee if they had any gluten free bread, and they told me it was all gluten free. They obviously didn't have a clue.

We've also been given food samples after explaining to the food rep that we don't eat animal products, only to find out that it contained something we choose not to eat, like anchovies.

I'll be sure to check with the staff on my trip, and I'm sure we'll figure it out. I wonder if the caesar salad is vegetarian, since the dressing traditionally contains anchovies. I guess I'll have to ask.

What percentage of the population is vegatarian?

I do know they will prepare special meals, we had a couple at our table a few years back that did jsut that, nightly.

In the US, approx 10% of the adult population, 22.8 million.

I understand what you are saying. Still experience has told me that people/staff don't have a good understanding of what items are vegetarian or gluten free.

At a bread store I asked an employee if they had any gluten free bread, and they told me it was all gluten free. They obviously didn't have a clue.

We've also been given food samples after explaining to the food rep that we don't eat animal products, only to find out that it contained something we choose not to eat, like anchovies.

I'll be sure to check with the staff on my trip, and I'm sure we'll figure it out. I wonder if the caesar salad is vegetarian, since the dressing traditionally contains anchovies. I guess I'll have to ask.

Part of the confusion is that there are many different types of vegetarians. Just because you won't eat something doesn't mean that the last vegetarian the waiter served wouldn't eat the same item.

Just ask questions. If the waiter can't help you, the head waiter will. If there is something specific you would like, ask. Many times, a chef will make it for you later in the week.

I'm sure we'll figure it all out. Plus, I read that you can request special meals to be made for you. Which is good, because honestly the one vegetarian choice doesn't always sound the best.

I'm just a little surprised that there aren't more vegetarian entree choices. Being a vegetarian is pretty mainstream now.

Are you vegetarian or vegan? The vegetarians I know are not as strict as the vegans I know.

My husband is a vegetarian (I'm an omnivore). He drives me crazy at restaurants because he will ask if something has meat in it.....and that's it. He (and other vegetarians) needs to remember to say "I'm a strict vegetarian" or vegan or something, because sometimes things that are not listed on the menu garnish or are added to things. The number of times he's had to send things back because they added bacon or worchestershire or whatever is silly, because 9 times out of 10, the waiter just didn't realize the reason he was asking if meat was in something was because he was a veggie.

Many of the items that are labelled GF are prepared specifically as such and served without the bread accompaniment for example or glutinous sauce. GF food is prepared in a dedicated kitchen so when requesting an item from the menu that is labelled GF you need to ask for the GF version. It's perfectly adequate and delicious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDh_cTOive8

I read that only 1 million adult Americans follow a strict veg diet (.05). That is eating no animal products at all.

The percentage goes up for those that aren't strict about it

You are correct. The just-released “Vegetarianism in America” study, published by Vegetarian Times (vegetariantimes.com), shows that 3.2 percent of U.S. adults, or 7.3 million people, follow a vegetarian-based diet. Approximately 0.5 percent, or 1 million, of those are vegans, who consume no animal products at all. In addition, 10 percent of U.S., adults, or 22.8 million people, say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.

I thought the (v) on rccl meant "vitality" not vegetarian

That is not true, particularly soups. Many vegetable soups are made with a meat stock and are not vegetarian.

That is not true, particularly soups. Many vegetable soups are made with a meat stock and are not vegetarian.

Yep, soups are always iffy. You have to check if they are made with veggie broth or chicken or beef broth. For instance, French onion soup is usually made with beef broth.

Also, although you might think all the desserts would be vegetarian. Sometimes you would be surprised to learn they are not. So, I'll just plan on double checking. Jello contains gelatin. Many pie crusts are made with lard, at least the store bought ones. So again, vegetarians would need to check on this.

Sometimes meat products are hidden in unexpected places.

What percentage of the population is vegatarian?

I do know they will prepare special meals, we had a couple at our table a few years back that did jsut that, nightly.

Wikipedia - which is NOT my idea of a "source", but I'm feeling lazy - says 6-7% of Americans and 7-11% of Britons self-describe as vegetarians.

With just 3.2% of Americans being vegetarians and another 10% "inclined" that way, the number of choices on the menu seems reasonable.

The just-released “Vegetarianism in America” study, published by Vegetarian Times (vegetariantimes.com), shows that 3.2 percent of U.S. adults, or 7.3 million people, follow a vegetarian-based diet. Approximately 0.5 percent, or 1 million, of those are vegans, who consume no animal products at all. In addition, 10 percent of U.S., adults, or 22.8 million people, say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.

Archived