Quincy Market

Bens Gramma

The cheapest way is to walk :). It took us about 40 min. And if you take the Seaport Blvd route, as soon as you cross the bridge you will pass by James Hook & Co....which has the best lobster on earth.

Hank

On our last trip there, there was a shuttle bus that made the loop from pier to the market for a very low cost (I seem to remember something like $4, but could be wrong). Don't know whether it was run by the pier, the market or the cruise line, but maybe someone else knows. Or try Googling "shuttle Quincy Market" and see if anything pops up.

The cheapest way is to walk :). It took us about 40 min. And if you take the Seaport Blvd route, as soon as you cross the bridge you will pass by James Hook & Co....which has the best lobster on earth.

Hank

James Hook is great. But, Maine lobster is the greatest of all.

James Hook is great. But, Maine lobster is the greatest of all.

And where do you think James Hook & Co gets much of their lobster. What we like about this place is that their prices are very reasonable and they have a huge number of lobsters (in tanks) of all sizes. While not a restaurant (most of their business is take out and wholesale) they do have a few tables inside and picnic benches in the parking area (where we usually dine). When you go into James Hook you can choose just about any size of lobster (which will be pulled out the tank and cooked) or you could simply get a great lobster roll.

We will not get into the argument about Maine Lobster, Canadian Lobster, etc. Nearly all these lobsters are the same exact variety (Homarus Americanus) and they are found over a large area from Newfoundland all the way down to New Jersey. The main difference is in the size (age) and big lobster fans have their own opinion about which size is best. Personally, we like 1 1/2 - 2 pound sizes since they seem to be more tender. But I have a friend who swears that 2 1/2 - 3 pound has better taste. At James Hook you can get just about any size up to some really large guys that could feed several folks.

Hank

P.S. We love visiting Maine for the natural beauty of the state..not to mention the great lobster and lobster rolls.

Edited by Hlitner

Please do some more research, it has been a few years. Across the street from the terminal and to the left is a bus stop for the Silverline(?) buses. It will drive right into the subway station. You get a free transfer onto the subway which you can take to the heart of Boston. Ask the driver what train to take. You will come out by a visitor center so get a map. Follow the Freedom Trail and it is a short walk to Quincy Market. It is funny the things you remember but you needed exact change and it was an odd amount like $1.25 or $1.75 per person each way.

Hank

James Hook has great lobster rolls. At $16 for a good size roll, it's a great deal compared with the tourist traps in the city. Order inside and eat outside on the outdoor tables. I'm actually heading there tomorrow after work. This is only a small part of the Hook family business. For the most part, they ship lobsters all of the city and further. Of course the lobsters are driven in fresh from Maine daily. It's just more convenient to get them in Boston than it is to drive up 95 to Ogunquit.

Note to above post on price of T rides. I believe they start at $2.10 if you don't have the Charlie Card. If you have one, it's $1.60.

Enjoy the city. My hints for tourists. Avoid Quincy Market, but there is a Newbury Comics in a side market. Those stores are fun to go through for novelty items. See and do Swan Boats and Public Gardens & Boston Common. Mike's Pastries on Hanover Street is loved by tourists and locals alike. Modern across the street is a local favorite. The Harbor Walk from State Street to the North End is my favorite and I do it every morning for exercise.

Edited by hubofhockey