Help - First Time Cruiser - cabin selection

Smasha28

I am a first time cruiser needing help with cabin selection.

We recently received news that my mother has terminal cancer. It has been her life's dream to cruise the Med. We want to take her on the Venice to Barcelona cruise Oct 7 on Nieuw Amsterdam.

I have no idea how to choose cabins. I've read a number of articles that provide great general information, but I need specific help. We only have one shot at this and unfortunately we are not a wealthy family so we need watch our budget.

I'm looking for 1-inside cabin for my wife and I and 1-balcony cabin for my mother.

Can someone please suggest cabin locations for us. The more specific the better.

Thank you

First, you might want to go through a reputable cruise travel agent. If you DIY, look at the deck plans on HAL's website for that ship and choose an inside and the cabin right across from it for the balcony cabin. I'd suggest mid ship and fairly close to elevator to avoid a lot of walking. Nice thing you are doing for your mom :)

You will love the itinerary you've chosen.

Edited by Donder1

Look at the deck plans. You want to choose cabins that have cabins on the decks above and below them for the quietest location. The middle third of the ship will get the least motion, although there is not that much motion in the Med most of the time. Cabins towards the front 2/3's of the ship have the least vibration - you can feel vibration in the back third of most ships when coming into port - usually very early in the morning, which may awaken you if you are a light sleeper like me. For this reason, although the view from an aft cabin can be spectacular, I avoid them. Cabins at the very front can have noise from dropping anchor - usually later in the morning and not that big of a deal, although it can be alarming the first time you hear it. I would try to get cabins in the middle third of the ship that are just a little ways down from the forward elevators (2 - 5 doors) or a little ways up from the aft elevators (2 - 5 doors) for the sake of convenience.

Hope that helps.