Inside Cabins

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised on AQ in both inside & CAT D "bay window" rooms. We have enjoyed the cruises equally well. There was no doubt that the Bay Window was nice to watch the world go by, but the inside cabin kind of made us get out and around the boat more.

Not a big fan of the rooms that open up to the promenade, seems strange having people walking past you whenever you're out enjoying your area. There are private little balconies that we have never experienced.

We can cruise twice in an inside for about what a outside cabin costs.

If you ever get a chance to book Cabins 201 or 202 spend the money. You get a bay window room with this "kind of" private full sized balcony.

Good Luck we Love the American Queen

I've been in the least expensive rooms on board and rooms with "Commodore Service." In fact my next trip on the AMERICAN QUEEN will be in an inside room as that is all my traveling partner can afford. It shouldn't matter as to what type of room you will be in. Enjoy the trip and just be thankful that you are aboard America's only overnight paddlewheel steamboat!

I started steamboating in 1980 at age 16, and since then I've been on over 30 trips between the Delta Queen, Mississippi Queen and American Queen.

I've been on over 20 American queen cruises since 1996 with all sorts of rooms but lately I've only booked inside rooms mostly because of my budget but also in bad weather it's much nicer having an inside room. I also agree with a previous post, I don't like the rooms opening to the deck, early morning noise of the walkers is an issue for me. Others probably don't like me walking late night after closing down the engine room bar.

I like the bay window rooms but on a Fall upper Mississippi cruise, it got dark so early, we didn't see much. And in port, the room was often eye level to the town and I felt like a zoo animal in a cage. I of course left the drapes open at night, and was surprised the next morning to see the locals looking in. And in St. Paul, our room was street level at a major intersection. If our room had been on the river side, it would have been a totally different feel.

Just make sure if you pick the rooms 201/202, there is no smoking on the attached porch.

To me, the A rooms with the private verandas are the best of both worlds - outside space and interior hall.

The American Queen is amazing. My next cruise on her isn't until October, but I'm already counting the days.

Just to add our experience if it helps. We travelled the Mississippi from Memphis to New Orleans last November, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. When we booked, we didn't really fancy the rooms opening onto the deck and only insides were available within our price range.

However, a couple of days in, we discovered a vacant bay window room. It was right at the back and the occupants couldn't cope with the sternwheel noise at night, and so had been moved away. We therefore talked to the Purser and upgraded ourselves for a very reasonable sum.

Glad we did, a larger room and it was so nice to be able to relax on the bed and watch the world outside.