Trip insurance needed for beginner scuba dive?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:20 PM.
2 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
I always purchase trip insurance, but going to take an excursion for first scuba dive this time. I'm not getting certified. Do I really need to spend the money on the extra "extreme sports" option for a beginner's dive lesson? Thanks!
At 35,000 feet
8,966 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Since the term "trip insurance" can include and exclude so many different coverages, it is impossible to make any kind of informed answer without knowing a great deal more about the specifics of the policy.

Your best answer would come from actually reading the fine print. What does the base policy include and exclude and what does any additional coverage include/exclude. Then, once informed, YOU can make the value decision. Because what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. In fact, in most cases it flat out doesn't.

Read. Study. Evaluate. Decide. Kinda like the basic process for all life's decisions.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Government Certified Expert"

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan
Washington
5,614 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Most of these first dive experiences are fairly shallow. Where are you going to do it? For example, if it is in St. Thomas, your US medical insurance will cover you there.

I should mention that the first dive type experience they will ask if you have any hidden illnesses like high blood pressure or diabetes or whatever and if you do, they won't allow you to dive.
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
21,286 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
IIRC the Extreme Sports rider on Travel Guard is very cheap, $9? Definitely under $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1,591 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Your best solution is to talk to the trip insurance company your policy is with...ask THEM whether this type of activity requires the extreme sports rider.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Holland America Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer; March 2017
RCCL Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean; March 2016
Holland America Westerdam Eastern; March 2015
RCCL Freedom of the Seas Western; March 2014
Holland America Veendam Bermuda: May 2012
Carnival Pride Bahamas: August 2010
RCCL Freedom of the Seas Eastern: November 2008

Premier's Big Red Boat: September, 1989
Carnival Tropicale Mexican Riviera: July 1985

Melbourne, FL
7,781 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
DAN offers special 'divers insurance' and standard trip insurance!

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/trip/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Capt BJ

Costa (1982), Commodore, NCL, Windstar, Princess,
DCL, RCL, Viking River, Cunard (TA)
50+ cruises
USCG Captain, retired - 6 ships, 2 commands, 12 yrs @ sea
Shellback, Golden Dragon, Bering Sea winter vet
Tall ship sailor
2 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Thanks everyone. I looked at the "Exclusions" in the policys I was considering, & 2 of them did include dives less than 130 feet as long as with a dive master....I'm good to go! Checked out DAN and will definitely keep in mind for future. (Hopefully I will like diving enough to come back & get certified & need DAN in the future - after all, we did move to Florida, and my husband told me I needed to find a hobby!)