Ms Finnmarken 2/17

onesillyfag

We are taking our very first cruise on the Finnmarken journey south this Feb.

As we are new to this I would adore any advice, insider tips, or "can't miss this" on board or at any of our stops on the trip.

Thanks in advance and Happy Cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have a look at the other discussions, there have been many discussions with practical informations about Hurtigruten trips (excursions, life on board, what to wear and so on). If you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask them.

I have travelled on board MS Finnmarken last winter and found her a great ship, nice Art Deco interior design and I particularly enjoyed the front outside deck which was great for Northern Lights watching.

• 2 weeks later...

The electric current supplied in the power sockets on board Hurtigruten ships is the 220-volt AC standard, and requires a 2-pin continental-type plug.

Adapters or converters needed for US and UK plugs (and others non-European plugs)

Thanks for that, would you know what the hairdryer is like? Maybe you could ask the Mrs! Was it any good for thick hair or do I need to bring my own.

Blue skies, I found the hairdryer to be perfectly adequate as did my daughter (who also has thick hair!). Mind you, we weren't blow drying (blow out, I think, if you're American ?) but just drying the hair.

Have a great trip.

Ha ha! Love those americanisms! And could you tell me if you can drink the water from the tap or do we have to buy it all the time?

Lol yes. Almost sounds rude doesn't it?

The water from the taps is superb. They pour water for you from a jug at dinner, and at breakfast and lunch there is water at the buffet. There's really no need to purchase a water package although we had it as part of our cabin grade. It was only of some use to have a small water bottle (to re-fill etc) for daily activities such as walks or excursions. If you have the water package, they give you one bottle per person at dinner. We didn't take the wine/beer package because we didn't want to be drinking very much but alcohol is very expensive in Norway as is food. You will eat very well at meal times though.

Edited by LittleFish1976

Thanks for your suggestions, I wasn't going to take my swims but now I will! i did that on an Alaska cruise and remember it was the best feeling!

We are going with friends and we always like wine with dinner, we will be putting some thought into our drinking habits 😳