My Review of HMC vs GSC

Kova15

Last Spring Break we went on the Carnival Glory to Half Moon Cay. This Spring Break we booked NCL Epic to Great Stirrup Cay. We loved HMC. It has been our best port day yet. It was pure paradise which is why we were excited to try NCLs GSC. Here is a quick break down of my opinion on the different Private Islands:

We enjoyed HMC more than GSC. The sand on HMC is amazing and nothing compares to how soft it is. The view of the ship from the beach is enjoyable. The little slide area for the kids is a nice touch. Decent buffet is offered at HMC but it is nothing special.

On GSC the sand is nice but not nearly as soft. The beach is pretty rocky and we stubbed our toes quiet a few times. The ship is not anchored in a place where you can view it from the beach. Its kinda off to the side. The food is slightly better at GSC with the newly added Taco Bar. The clamshells were awkward at GSC. They were in sections and if you didnt get there on the first tender you would have no view of the water. only the backs of other clamshells.

In short, I would absolutely book another cruise that stops at HMC. I would actually seek out an itinerary that stops at HMC... However, I would not do the same for GSC. I enjoyed it, but it was not nearly as nice as HMC. Also, I would likely splurge on a Cabana if we went to HMC again. They looked nice, and I could justify the price, however I could not justify the price for one with NCL. It was like $200 more for the day. I hope this helps anyone looking for the differences between the two islands.

• 2 months later...

Same here!

We had actually rented a cabana for our 2nd trip to HMC last year even tho the price had increased to $279. Factoring in the 4 floats and the 4 sets of snorkeling equipment, I see that as saving about $120 for the 4 of us. The snacks, water and soda they also provided was also great. Padded loungers another bonus. The cabana itself only has 3 sides, but the air conditioner still provided some respite from the heat. We had Cabana #10 which I thought was ideal. When we go back again, if it is in the colder months, I may try to convince my husband that we "need" one of the villas with the hot tub :D!

Same here!

We had actually rented a cabana for our 2nd trip to HMC last year even tho the price had increased to $279. Factoring in the 4 floats and the 4 sets of snorkeling equipment, I see that as saving about $120 for the 4 of us. The snacks, water and soda they also provided was also great. Padded loungers another bonus. The cabana itself only has 3 sides, but the air conditioner still provided some respite from the heat. We had Cabana #10 which I thought was ideal. When we go back again, if it is in the colder months, I may try to convince my husband that we "need" one of the villas with the hot tub :D!

What type of snacks did they provide?? I was there a few times many years ago and things have changed! There was a trarp type curtain to let down to help keep a/c in! Also you had a cabana service guy!

What type of snacks did they provide?? I was there a few times many years ago and things have changed! There was a trarp type curtain to let down to help keep a/c in! Also you had a cabana service guy!

At HMC? We have been there 10 times, 8 in cabanas, and don't recall any "tarp curtain". Going back 10 years at least.

The snacks are described here regularly. There are even pictures. Chips salsa and Guacamole. Fruit and vegetable plate.

At HMC? We have been there 10 times, 8 in cabanas, and don't recall any "tarp curtain". Going back 10 years at least.

The snacks are described here regularly. There are even pictures. Chips salsa and Guacamole. Fruit and vegetable plate.

Yes it have been over 10 years and sounds like the snacks are the same. Tried posting a photo of the tarp curtain but it wont post :(

Yes, it was many many moons ago, here is a pic if you want to see it :)https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dr4ubICDF0EzrCde2

• 2 weeks later...