What documentation needed to take great nephews on cruise?

I am planning to take my great nephews (ages 8 and 10) on a 3 day RCI cruise at end of school year. I know that I will need some type of documentation from my nieces to do this. One niece has remarried, so different last names. The other niece has full custody. Any help with what type permission/documentation I will need will be greatly appreciated. I am a true follower of cruise critic, (don't log in often, but read board almost every day) and I know the answer is out there.

I am planning to take my great nephews (ages 8 and 10) on a 3 day RCI cruise at end of school year. I know that I will need some type of documentation from my nieces to do this. One niece has remarried, so different last names. The other niece has full custody. Any help with what type permission/documentation I will need will be greatly appreciated. I am a true follower of cruise critic, (don't log in often, but read board almost every day) and I know the answer is out there.

You will need their proof of citizenship and a notorized letter from at least one parent, I normally get one from both, giving you permission to take them on the cruise, to authorize medical care, and to sign waivers for any activities. It should specify the name of the ship, itinery, sailing dates etc, and state the relationship of the person signing the letter to the minors

You will need to go to a Notery person. You will require the permission of both parents in the one case and the other will just require the one. You must have the full itinery with you so they can include where you are going and when. If you are flying you will need that too. You also need to have medical permission. There are forms available that will aid you with this. I suggest that everyone get passport now so that it is easier for identification (last names).

This is what I use

To Whom It May Concern:

I, -----------, Father, do hereby give permission for -----------------, to take my daughter, whose date of birth is -------------------, on a cruise aboard Royal Caribbean International’s Monarch of the Seas. The cruise departs Port Canaveral Florida on ------------------ and returns to Port Canaveral on ----------------.

The cruise is scheduled to visit, Coco Cay, Bahamas and Nassau Bahamas, but I understand and agree that the cruise line may make changes to the itinerary as needed.

I further give permission for-------------------- to sign any waivers that may be needed for ------------------------ to utilize any shipboard or shore activities and for them to authorize any medical treatment that -------------------------may require while in their care

--------------------

STATE OF FLORIDA

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _____, 2010, by

COUNTY OF BREVARD

Who is Personally Known ______ OR Produced Identification _______

Type of Identification Produced_______________________________________________

Signature of Notary Public

We are going thru same thing right now. This is what RCL sent to me for us taking our nephew in March.

Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of any minor child traveling with them must bring an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. This notarized letter must authorize these adults to 1) take the child on the specific cruise vacation, 2) sign legal documentation/waivers allowing the child to participate in any activities requiring them (i.e. rock climbing, Flowrider®, bungee trampoline, inline skating or ice skating) and 3) supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that may need to be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a legal guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of guardianship with respect to the child.

Additionally, traveling adults are required to present either the child's valid passport and necessary visas or the child's birth certificate (the original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). For minors 16 and 17 years of age on a United States closed-loop sailing, a form of photo identification issued by a government agency, such as a public school identification card or a driver's license, will also be required along with the birth certificate. Kindly note, it is the guests’ responsibility to identify and to obtain the necessary travel documentation before commencing their cruise vacation. As documentation requirements are subject to change, please refer to the “Before You Board” section of our website (http://www.royalcaribbean.com) for the most current documentation information.

You also have to be VERY specific with activities when you compose your letter to be notarized...

1. Permission to ice skate, climb rock wall, participate in youth/teen activities, accompany you ( Name)for any shore excursions, ride zip line ( Oasis, Allure), FLowrider...all of these..

Sometimes you can "pre-register" online for these activities but you still need the notary if anyone questions that you have guardianship during the cruise.

2. Also be sure to add that you are responsible for any medical intervention if needed...

3. Of course, ..passport/BC...

4. Permission to fly ( add exact flights, and departure/arrival airports)

I have taken my son's very good friend with us on several cruises...Not a family member..but the notarized letter must be signed by the parent of the minor...We have never had a problem..

Hope this helps..

Bee

Just a word of warning, as this happened to us recently and I am still in discussion with the executive offices at RCI about this and where this policy is written.

We booked a cruise on the Explorer for July next year, balcony cabin for my wife and I, and an inside across the hall for our daughter (16) and 2 of her friends, we have done this previously on more than one occasion and with more than 2 friends, with no problem.

After booking the cruise by phone, I called the D+ desk to have the balcony discount applied to our room, she looked at the reservation and asked how Minor b and c were related to me, when I told them they weren't she replied "well we have a problem", I thought she was going to advise me about notorized permissions etc etc, but, no, she said we can't cruise because we have 1 daughter and 2 friends, you can only take as many friends as you have related minors, so if we had 10 daughters we could also take 10 of their friends and supervise 20 kids, but as we only have 1 daughter, we can only take one friend.

After telling her that we had done this before, with the same minor children, without problems, she told me that she would confirm the policy and call me back.

When she called me back, she first advised that the call may be recorded for training purposes and then she stated that she had confirmed the policy, but there was a small loophole and that was that I had to have 1 unrelated minor in my cabin and my wife could have our daughter and the other minor in the cabin, what we did once we were onboard was our decision. She also stated that this loophole was about to be closed. I accepted this, and hung up.

About 10 minutes later she called me back again, and once again the call was being recorded, and said that the booking would have to be changed again, I must have our daughter with me and my wife must have the unrelated minors with her, it seemed strange that my wife could now supervise 2 unrelated minors and I could just supervise my daughter. I asked her where I could read this policy and she stated that it was on the website but very difficult to find, and to try searching unrelated minors.

WOW I had never heard of any of this policy, so emailed the executive offices to try and confirm the policy and the reasoning behind it. After a few conversation with them, I am still waiting to, a. be told where the policy is written and, b. to know if we can sail or not.

If you have to do this, just put the right combo of people in the cabins..then when you board the ship, you have guest relations make up "extra" keys so you can get into the "real" cabin you will sleep...This is an inconvenience for one or two people that have to carry around their seapass card and the extra key...

Done this several times...to keep the kids in one cabin and the adults in the other...They do this because someone 21 must be in each cabin for the manifest..They probably do this also to reduce the chance of one adult being a chaparone for 20 teens...

Bee

• 3 months later...

I also get a separate executed and notarized medical authorization form with parents address/phone numbers in case I need it for doctors/hospital while not on the cruise along with a copy of the child's medical insurance card.

Archived