Unlimited Internet on NCL Spirit?

edtorious

Not exactly. Here's what they do offer:

http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

Remember in Europe, on most days you will be off the ship by 8 - 8:30 am and not get back until 5pm or later where about all you will want to do is eat dinner and pass out in bed.

The other thing I can tell you from experience is that the internet was either sloooooooooow or down quite a bit of the time. My husband was greatly frustrated by it and said it was almost a deal-breaker since he works nearly constantly, even on vacation. After seeing the trouble he was having, I didn't even bother trying to get online. If you are struggling to send a large file onboard, it is best to go to the internet cafe onboard and do it from one of the computers there.

Let me point out that Europe does have quite a few Starbucks and also there are many other places such as cafes and restaurants with free WIFI. Google the city name and free WIFI to find options.

Not exactly. Here's what they do offer:

http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

Remember in Europe, on most days you will be off the ship by 8 - 8:30 am and not get back until 5pm or later where about all you will want to do is eat dinner and pass out in bed.

The other thing I can tell you from experience is that the internet was either sloooooooooow or down quite a bit of the time. My husband was greatly frustrated by it and said it was almost a deal-breaker since he works nearly constantly, even on vacation. After seeing the trouble he was having, I didn't even bother trying to get online. If you are struggling to send a large file onboard, it is best to go to the internet cafe onboard and do it from one of the computers there.

Let me point out that Europe does have quite a few Starbucks and also there are many other places such as cafes and restaurants with free WIFI. Google the city name and free WIFI to find options.

Thanks for that link!! 19.99 unlimited seems like a really good deal, it may be slow but it wouldn't matter if it's unlimited ( for the average user)

*Living Large*

Thanks for that link!! 19.99 unlimited seems like a really good deal, it may be slow but it wouldn't matter if it's unlimited ( for the average user)

*Living Large*

We are on the Spirit next week. The letter we received from the Concierge's desk Alluded that the unlimited plan was available. Be aware that the $19.99 per day rate is for cruises 13 days or longer. Our cruise is 12 days at a rate of $24.99 per day.

We are on the Spirit next week. The letter we received from the Concierge's desk Alluded that the unlimited plan was available. Be aware that the $19.99 per day rate is for cruises 13 days or longer. Our cruise is 12 days at a rate of $24.99 per day.

Lol I did misread that, 25 a day is a little steep but manageable, enjoy your cruise

*Living Large*

Edited by Solararc

We are going on a 12 day cruise as well and I'm not sure if unlimited is worth it. We'll be going on tours all day during the day and just need it mostly during the night. Unlimited would be nice so that instead of just checking emails, I could check social networking sites, upload pictures and use it with my Wifi calling feature?

If I don't get the unlimited, can I avail the other package plan even though they're for shorter cruise days?

• 1 month later...

Our kids will have room right across from ours. If I get the wifi do they just have to use a code. Any limitations on how many smart phone etc can use.

Also anyone use the concierge app for on board text and cslls

Our kids will have room right across from ours. If I get the wifi do they just have to use a code. Any limitations on how many smart phone etc can use. ...

Only one smart phone or ipad etc can be used at a time.

• 1 year later...

Time marches on...

The current rate as of July 2016 is $29.99/day for 1-12 day cruises and $24.99/day for 13+ day cruises. Hard to justify that kind of cost for slow and spotty Internet service.

Guess we'll just buy a 250 minute plan for $125 and hope that's enough.

We had the 250 minute plan, which we got for free. It is really, really slow, completely unable to do anything beyond a simple email. Can't upload or download pictures. Our neighbor sent us a picture of a tree that had fallen near our house and I could not download it at all. Tried for days. We only used it to check email and logged off and had time left at the end of the 13-day cruise. We checked our emails in port.

Did I miss something. THe rate is normally $29.99/day * number of nights (you have to buy for the full length of the cruise).

We were on the Spirit in April and had the unlimited package. It was good enough for audio facetime.

We had the 250 minute plan, which we got for free. It is really, really slow, completely unable to do anything beyond a simple email. Can't upload or download pictures. Our neighbor sent us a picture of a tree that had fallen near our house and I could not download it at all. Tried for days. We only used it to check email and logged off and had time left at the end of the 13-day cruise. We checked our emails in port.

Rats... so is this May 2016 NCL Press Release baloney? It announced Norwegian's plan to deliver super fast Internet across the entire line:

https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/n...s-three-brands

The press release says:

"Guests on all Norwegian, Oceania and Regent ships can expect to experience the new, lightning-fast WiFi powered by SpeedNet by July 2016."

Cruise ship Internet service, particularly NCL's, has been notoriously slow so this is welcome news... if it's true!

I'm sailing the Spirit in September and I'd like to know if the ship's Internet has been upgraded *before* I pay an outlandish fee for Internet access that might be unusable anyway.

We were on the Spirit for the Med cruise end of June. We had the 250 minute package for my husband to work. He would log on, download his emails (masses of them), log off, write all his replies, then log back in to send all his replies. It was quite slow, especially downloading emails that had any attachments. He was able to drag out the 250 minutes over the 13 days and had maybe 3 minutes left at the end.

One note: the way the minute counter works is to charge a full minute for each partial minute. He said he wasted 2-3 minutes each time he logged on and off because it took time to connect (1 min charged) and to disconnect (which was even slower and 1-2 min charged).

Me and the 2 teens did not use any wifi on board. Every restaurant in every town we stopped had free wifi. The trains have it, even some taxi/vans. So, if you plan on a few extra minutes when you are resting or having lunch, for checking in on your life, updating social media, etc. you won't even need to pay for ship wifi.

Thanks, Royo! Not what I'd hoped for but just what I needed to know.

At least until they upgrade their Internet service as promised (if ever!), there's no need to spend megabucks on an Unlimited Internet package.

I'm sure that the CNN journalist is scratching her head these days, wondering too - along with one of the editors here on CC.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/01/travel/cruise-ships-with-the-best-wi-fi/index.html

4 more days to the end of July ... :p

P.S. Odds are, prices will go UP even higher if and when it rolled out across the NCLH fleets, directly & indirectly, "for your convenience"

Edited by mking8288