Private Tours and Tipping

MMOMOM

I'm confused. We are going to Paris for a couple of days, then taking the train to Barcelona and staying for a couple of days before our cruise. I've been researching and reading online, and everything says that you don't tip in Europe like we do in the United States, maybe just 'round up' on whatever the total bill is, a few coins on the table, one or two Euros, etc.

On our cruise we are doing a private tour from Naples of the Amalfi Coast, seeing Ravello, Positano Amalfi and finishing in Sorrento where the driver will bring us to the Ferry and we will take that across the bay to the Ship. We are using the same tour company again for a private tour of Rome. He will pick us up at the ship, bring us to Vatican and all the other sights and then back to the ship. These drivers are not considered guides, although they will give us history and recommendations along the way as we drive. We were given the option of hiring an official guide, but declined. They even say that due to Italian law, the drivers are not allowed to give us advice, etc. outside the car, only inside. The company comes highly recommended and the reviews are wonderful. So far in all the booking matters I've done online, the company seems top notch, so we are expecting this will be done very well. It's fairly expensive, but we figured it was worth it to do all of this with some guidance rather than on our own, as we usually do. The voucher for both trips read at the bottom that price of the tour does not include admittance fees or tips. We have already booked and paid for the advance admittance fees needed at this point, but now I'm wondering if we should tip this driver on these tours and if so, how much? The tour is also paid for at the end of the tour directly to the driver, in cash, in Euros. If anyone has done this and can give me any advice, I'd appreciate it. I find it weird not tipping, but on the other hand I've read they don't expect it and it's just not done in Europe. Thanx!

You have done all this reading, and hit on most of the key points- most importantly that tipping is far less than in the US. All right on.

None of your reading has indicated tipping is a personal thing? None have indicated tipping in most of Europe is usually less than 10%? But that many Europeans have learned to accept US style tips from Americans?

In our experience traveling in Europe (over 100 days in the last 5 years, over 200 days in the last 15 years), we have toned down our tipping, so we fall between US standards and European standards. But that is just us. I am sure many Americans see an opportunity to tip little or none. And many Americans tip according to our style back home.

It is all personal preference. For private tours we tip the driver. When we have had a guide, we have tipped the guide. We have offered to pay for the lunch of the driver, always declined. We have paid for afternoon treats like gelato- accepted.

Edited by CruiserBruce

You have done all this reading, and hit on most of the key points- most importantly that tipping is far less than in the US. All right on.

None of your reading has indicated tipping is a personal thing?

No I did not read that on Trip Advisor or anywhere else.There was one person on Cruise Critic from Texas that says he does what he wants to do with tipping or anything else.

None have indicated tipping in most of Europe is usually less than 10%?

No I didn't read that either

But that many Europeans have learned to accept US style tips from Americans?

No on that one too

In our experience traveling in Europe (over 100 days in the last 5 years, over 200 days in the last 15 years), we have toned down our tipping, so we fall between US standards and European standards. But that is just us. I am sure many Americans see an opportunity to tip little or none.

I'm not sure who you are referring to here, but we are not like that

And many Americans tip according to our style back home.

It is all personal preference. For private tours we tip the driver. When we have had a guide, we have tipped the guide. We have offered to pay for the lunch of the driver, always declined. We have paid for afternoon treats like gelato- accepted.

We also are the type of people that offer a cold drink or a snack to any type of service person

I asked the question because I was confused and wanted the opinion and knowledge of how others handled it. If I knew, I wouldn't have asked. We don't need 'reasons or excuses to be cheap', we just wanted to know what is normally done. Thanx for you input.

I am sure many Americans see an opportunity to tip little or none.

What do you mean by this? People "see an opportunity" to follow the cultural norms -- and you make that sound like a bad thing?

The truth of the matter is that Europeans tip minimally and not necessarily in the same circumstances as we do in the US. It is not taking any kind of "opportunity" to do that when traveling --you know, the whole 'when in Rome' thing -- just as I'm sure we would hope Europeans follow our tipping habits when in the US.

I think most Americans have it so deeply ingrained that not tipping will look cheap that they simply can't bring themselves not to do it.

I have always tipped in Europe at least 10% on a tour...more to the guide if we had one and 5% to the driver...on a bus the same.I round up to the next euro in a resto or leave an extra euro if it comes to close to the actual bill(if you get me drift.) I also leave a tip in a hotel room for the maids and I must tell you even int not expected MUCH appreciateed and the room always reflected this. I am a believer in some sort of tipping even on road trips here in the US because I know how much a little more can add to one's life and if I have it to give I do.Over tipping in Europe,acutally can be an insult in certain instances,but they take it anyway. I guess I would say it is up to you what you would like to do(not expected to do) and really if in question just ask the person..I have done this and gotten a hug more than leaving a tip which meant a lot to me.Hope this helps a little. Have a great trip!!!

The voucher for both trips read at the bottom that price of the tour does not include admittance fees or tips.
One of the most talked about suppliers on these boards, Rome in Limo, does this. RIL is an American company that subcontracts with drivers in Italy; one way they attract drivers is by promising that they will do whatever they can to encourage tips. It's a smart business move ... why drive your countrymen around when you can drive Americans who have been directed to tip (and who are, in general, quite good about following directions like this)?

One of the most talked about suppliers on these boards, Rome in Limo, does this. RIL is an American company that subcontracts with drivers in Italy; one way they attract drivers is by promising that they will do whatever they can to encourage tips. It's a smart business move ... why drive your countrymen around when you can drive Americans who have been directed to tip (and who are, in general, quite good about following directions like this)?

This tour company is APTours and I originally found it on Trip Advisor. Reviews are very good. Your post prompted me to look and see if it too, was an American Company. Can't see that it is, think it's Italian, but went to FAQ and found this:

"Do we need to tip your driver?

Tipping is not essential, but in Italy, a tip is offered as a sign of appreciation for good service. Most people tip in the region of 15 to 20%"

Guess that's where I should have looked in the first place! :) So, guess we'll use our discretion, and as I mentioned, we are assuming we will have good service. Payment is requested in cash, in Euros, directly to the driver. As we have no 'official guide', hoping the Driver gets the tip, although in just the booking and correspondence online thus far, the company and agents have been top notch as well.

Its funny but I have been on these boards for some time now……and on this subject I find that it seems that most are either black or white…..no gray on this subject. Meaning that those that tip are pretty adamant about it and those that don't (maybe just round up a few coins) are also pretty adamant about it.

I feel that it is a personal choice and do what feels right to you.

Having said that - we do tip. Probably too much (always 10% sometimes more) but we have been extraordinarily lucky with our private tours and/or guides. We have always felt that they have really gone out of their way to make our day SPECIAL. We have felt that they love their country/area and made a real effort to share the best with us. We always engage our drivers and our guides - I ask a million questions :eek: and they always respond favorably. So we tip them separate from the cost of the tour - in cash. It is always appreciated and never turned down.

We also offer to buy lunch and have them join us a few times - sometimes not.

One of my favorite memories of Kusadasi is when our driver and guide ate with us at a wonderful restaurant they picked near the water on our return to the ship after our tour……. they told us so many personal stories and funny things about living in Turkey etc…… It was truly memorable. To me that is what traveling is all about….. not just seeing places and ticking off items on a bucket list…..but experiencing it all.

Hope your trip is Amazing :)

PS - we have used APTours for ALL of our tours in Naples (our 5th is coming up in a few weeks) and they are a top rate company. You will have an AMAZING day with them !

Edited by texancruzer

Its funny but I have been on these boards for some time now……and on this subject I find that it seems that most are either black or white…..no gray on this subject. Meaning that those that tip are pretty adamant about it and those that don't (maybe just round up a few coins) are also pretty adamant about it.

I feel that it is a personal choice and do what feels right to you.

Having said that - we do tip. Probably too much (always 10% sometimes more) but we have been extraordinarily lucky with our private tours and/or guides. We have always felt that they have really gone out of their way to make our day SPECIAL. We have felt that they love their country/area and made a real effort to share the best with us. We always engage our drivers and our guides - I ask a million questions :eek: and they always respond favorably. So we tip them separate from the cost of the tour - in cash. It is always appreciated and never turned down.

We also offer to buy lunch and have them join us a few times - sometimes not.

You're right that this is a controversial topic. I'm curious why there is such a difference in the way we respond to Europeans asking about tipping in the US -- we would NEVER say that " it is a personal choice and do what feels right to you." Instead, we ask that they respect OUR culture regarding tipping, which is alien to them.

Why do we not do the same when we travel to THEIR countries? This disconnect has just never made sense to me.

Of course, most people are not going to turn down a tip (except in Japan, where it is considered an insult). But Americans are bringing their tipping culture to places where it doesn't belong. Drivers and guides receive fair wages. They do not depend on tipping like service sectors in the US.

No one is saying you shouldn't give a token tip of appreciation for excellent service. But companies recommending a 15-20% tip is just preying on Americans' fears about tipping too little.

(One of my Italian teachers, a Roman, was complaining recently about how the expectation for tips has escalated in Rome during the last decade. She has made it very clear that Romans do NOT tip that way.)

Edited by cruisemom42

went to FAQ and found this:

"Do we need to tip your driver?

Tipping is not essential, but in Italy, a tip is offered as a sign of appreciation for good service. Most people tip in the region of 15 to 20%"

That tells you everything. No one who didn't want to be laughed off the internet would write that sentence for a European or Australian audience. Only North Americans would read this and not blanch.

Thank you, TEXANCRUISER! That's pretty much the information I was looking for and appreciate your response. I feel more confident now with the whole 'tipping situation'. We are really looking forward to both the Amalfi Coast and the Rome Tour. I have yet to read anything that wasn't very good about the company ... and your endorsement helps too! Thanx!

In the US, the Federal minimum wage is $7.25 (more in some states), but the minimum wage for employees who receive tips is $2.13! In other words, the customer, not the employer is required to pay the wages. And, what's more, the customer is often "guilted" into paying higher and higher tips. In the US, you are not expected to tip full pay employees. For example, you would never think of tipping the cashier at Wal-Mart. Why? Because he or she is paid at least the ordinary minimum wage.

In Europe and most of the world, all employees are paid at least the same minimum wage. Employers are supposed to pay their employees for serving the public. The customers are not supposed to make up for the employers' payroll.

That's why it is not the custom to tip employees in other countries other than a token appreciation in the service industries. That is why many professional guides, drivers, etc consider it an insult to be tipped. Many others, of course, think: "Hey, if the fools want to throw money at me, I'll take it. It's their loss."

Yes, it is a cultural "thing." Don't carry your economic expectations to other countries.

Edited by marazul

In the US, the Federal minimum wage is $7.25 (more in some states), but the minimum wage for employees who receive tips is $2.13! In other words, the customer, not the employer is required to pay the wages.

Yes, but the employer is required to keep track of how much the employee receives in tips, in order to withhold taxes on the amount, and also because if an employee does not receive sufficient tips to bridge them to the minimum wage, the employer must pay the difference. Therefore, the employee will always earn at least the minimum wage rate.

Yes, but the employer is required to keep track of how much the employee receives in tips, in order to withhold taxes on the amount, and also because if an employee does not receive sufficient tips to bridge them to the minimum wage, the employer must pay the difference. Therefore, the employee will always earn at least the minimum wage rate.

Agree. But the issue here is whether to tip or not. That is, who is expected to pay the wages - the employer or the customer? If it is the customer, then the customer tips, like in US restaurants. If it is the employer, then the employer pays the full amount, as in a US department store or anywhere in Europe.

In the US, there is no expectation to pay tips to any $7.25+ minimum wage employee. In the US, there is an expectation to tip $2.13/hour employees. In Europe, all employees are compensated with at least the same minimum wage and there is NO expectation that the customers make up the difference in wages because there is no difference in wages.

Edited by marazul

In the US, there is no expectation to pay tips to any $7.25+ minimum wage employee. In the US, there is an expectation to tip $2.13/hour employees. In Europe, all employees are compensated with at least the same minimum wage and there is NO expectation that the customers make up the difference in wages because there is no difference in wages.
I agree with you and I much prefer the European and Australian models. However, in the States we seem to be going the opposite way. Places like Starbucks, where they do pay minimum wage or better, encourage tipping. It's annoying to me and must be confusing to visitors. Edited by euro cruiser

Thank you marazul and euro cruiser, appreciate your discussion and see both points. We have always been I think what is considered 'good/fair' tippers. However, seems Europe is indeed different in many perspectives. I think what it will come down to with us, is probably 'good service and appreciation'. Thanx again.

I agree with you and I much prefer the European and Australian models. However, in the States we seem to be going the opposite way. Places like Starbucks, where they do pay minimum wage or better, encourage tipping. It's annoying to me and must be confusing to visitors.

I am with you preferring the "fair wage" model. Interestingly, our local newspaper had an article recently about a couple of restaurants (not sure where exactly) that started paying full wages to their employees. One posted a "no tipping" sign, the other posted a "tipping optional" sign. Let's hope it is the beginning of an opposite trend.

Overall, I think it is best finding out about and respecting local norms. To go overboard with tipping because you always tip well at home is like saying you will drive on the right side in England because you are a very good driver at home. But can't fault erring on the side of appreciation and generosity. Within reason . . .

I still think it depends on service. My tours with italytousharing.com have always been super so I have tipped 15%. I did this tour with another company in Athens and did not tip because it was not good..guide was late, could not understand him even though they had said English speaking so needless to say didn't tip.

I still think if theservice is good, oneshould tip...even in Europe unless it is frowned upon.

We are using the same guy for 7 days and for transfers. He is the owner/driver-guide. I will be paying him 2250€. That is a ton of money. I'm not sure I owe anything more because he is getting the entire amount.

We used him in the past and paid for his meal. I know I will be doing that again this time. I am not getting any type of discount for multiple bookings. I am also bringing him a few things he said he would like to have from the US.

We are using the same guy for 7 days and for transfers. He is the owner/driver-guide. I will be paying him 2250€. That is a ton of money. I'm not sure I owe anything more because he is getting the entire amount.

We used him in the past and paid for his meal. I know I will be doing that again this time. I am not getting any type of discount for multiple bookings. I am also bringing him a few things he said he would like to have from the US.

Melozone - You are right.

b-cruise - saying it depends on service and attaching a percentage to it is the US model. Don't forget, the customer always pays the same full price under either model. In the US you pay your bill plus tip to make up for full wages. In Europe you are charged more for the bill so the employer can pay full wages. In the end you pay the same either way. There is no need to over pay. On a private tour, a set amount (5, 10, 15 euros depending on service and length of tour) or buying lunch or afternoon snack for the guide is more than adequate to really show appreciation for good service.

cruisemom said it best: "I think most Americans have it so deeply ingrained that not tipping will look cheap that they simply can't bring themselves not to do it."

This brings up a good point…. some driver/guides own their own company and get 100 % of the tour price. Of course, they have the car costs (gas, maintenance etc) advertising costs, etc but they don't have to split the money with anyone.

Same question over and over again, is simply a personal choice.

Either the money goes to the car owner, to the driver or to the guide.

Tip if you are happy for the service you have received and only if you think they deserve it, otherwise don't tip, no one will kill you in this case :D

You are not a detective on mission, you are on vacation, enjoy your cruise.

That tells you everything. No one who didn't want to be laughed off the internet would write that sentence for a European or Australian audience. Only North Americans would read this and not blanch.

I blanched at the suggested 20% tip in Europe. No way Jose!

Thank you all for your discussion. I've also been on Trip Advisor and many frequent European Travelers have given their opinions as well ... for general travel, not just on cruises. At this point I think we have a fair idea of what to expect and what we will probably do. Offering lunch, snack and/or drink, as well as something at the end sounds good, depending on the service. I think going straight percentage-wise could be a mistake on this, and far less personal to the Driver. We'll see how it goes. I certainly have found here, as well as on TA, there are definitely some strong opinions and as Texancruizer said, most are not 'gray', but yes, either black or white! LOL!! However, I appreciate all responses. Having never been to Europe, it does help. As mentioned before this is a private car tour, not a bus. It will be the driver, my husband and myself and we've been told we can pretty much do as we please. There is a general itinerary, but the driver will go, do and spend as much time or as little as we want, both in Naples as well as Rome. So we will play it by ear and use the advice on many regarding how we choose to tip and/or show appreciation to the Driver. Thank you all again.