Celebrity Capt Removed for Drunkness

GMoney

I'll say they have their hands full. I've been monitoring all of the 'problem' threads and emailed the company about my increasing concerns. Since we're sailing with our family on Mercury in July, I continue to be concerned. I don't like jumping on bandwagons or assuming that where's there's smoke, there's fire, but these over used metaphors seem to be working these days. I'll be staying tuned....

I don't think it is uncommon for anyone who works on a cruise ship to drink every day. How do you think they get through a 70 hour 7 day a week work schedule.

The question would be was he at the helm when he was pulled off and tested?

I don't think it is uncommon for anyone who works on a cruise ship to drink every day. How do you think they get through a 70 hour 7 day a week work schedule.

HUH???

The ship was about to leave Seattle and he must have been on the bridge/on duty.

Hi Joy!

Of course I remember you from our Horizon cruise last year. If I recall correctly, you were going to go on a HAL cruise last year. Did you go? How was it?

Being on a 10 nighter aboard Horizon spoiled us. And so we are right now scheduled to go on another 10 night cruise over New Years (E Carib on Constellation) and a 12 nighter on Millennium to the Mediterranean next year.

David

Some wine w/ with dinner while at sea & his staff captain has the bridge - sure, why not?

But failing a breatholizer on Turnaround Day? The busiest day of the week, where he has to be up at dawn dealing w/ harbor pilots and working all day w/ paperwork, manifests, and making ready for departure, dealing w/ the harbor pilot again and lifeboat drill???

He clearly wasnt 'at the helm' since the ship was in port - but there's no excuse for him to have been drinking enough that day to fail a breatholizer.

We clearly have a captain with a serious lack of judgement here - X should fire him and let him pay his own way back to Greece just as they would any other crewmember or staff person that they'd find drunk on duty. A change of leadership would probably improve crew morale...

David,

What a GREAT memory! Yes, we did HAL over Thanksgiving and absolutely loved it! Their food is equal to, if not better, than Celebrity. But a good report on a HAL cruise is probably not a big surprise.

The big surprise is how much we LOVED our Carnival cruise this past March! We did 8 days to Mexico out of San Diego on the Spirit. Got a great deal and couldn't pass it up. Hadn't been on Carnival in over 4 years and had only minimal expectations. Boy were we PLEASANTLY surprised!

The cabin was about the best we've ever had in terms of size, layout, lighting, etc. (We've never done a suite). The bedding was great. And the biggest surprise was the excellent food. Not Celebrity or HAL, but very good.

Sounds like you've been sticking to Celebrity? Does this negative PR bother you at all?

Joy

We are just back from the dock where we watched Mercury sail away ... wondered why it was an hour late! We arrived just before 5 pm, when Mercury was supposed to leave, but they were just getting around to the muster drill. I knew some sort of news story was happening around the waterfront because two local stations' choppers were overhead and a photographer for one station showed up briefly at the pier, but nothing was obvious from dockside (and if you have been to Seattle, you know the viewing area for Pier 66 is very close to the ship) and I didn't know what happened till we heard the radio news a few minutes ago.

While listening to the announcements from shore (yes, it's really THAT close), I noticed the CD (Aussie? Brit?) sounded a bit shaky. They definitely didn't announce anything about what was going on, though, just the standard muster (and then "join us for showtime tonight") stuff. This is the cruise "Lois R" and some other CC'ers are on --- I just had dinner with her and two couples from her roll call last night -- wish I had her cell # to call and see what was going on onboard! --- TR

David,

What a GREAT memory! Yes, we did HAL over Thanksgiving and absolutely loved it! Their food is equal to, if not better, than Celebrity. But a good report on a HAL cruise is probably not a big surprise.

The big surprise is how much we LOVED our Carnival cruise this past March! We did 8 days to Mexico out of San Diego on the Spirit. Got a great deal and couldn't pass it up. Hadn't been on Carnival in over 4 years and had only minimal expectations. Boy were we PLEASANTLY surprised!

The cabin was about the best we've ever had in terms of size, layout, lighting, etc. (We've never done a suite). The bedding was great. And the biggest surprise was the excellent food. Not Celebrity or HAL, but very good.

Sounds like you've been sticking to Celebrity? Does this negative PR bother you at all?

Joy

Joy,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruises. Be interested to see how your next Celebrity cruise compares. I suppose we are technically "sticking" to Celebrity. Trouble is we haven't been on a cruise since Horizon while you have been on at least 2 already!

The negative PR doesn't bother me, I am simply amazed at how many things have popped up over the past few months

David

David,

Tell me more about your Med cruise! That's what we're doing in November on the Galaxy. It's a 10 RT Rome. We're visiting Naples, Mykonos, Santorini, Livorno, Cannes, and Messina Sicily. (I think that's it)

Since the cruise ends just prior to Thanksgiving, we decided to get an apartment in Rome and just stay THROUGH Thanksgiving! What the heck! We'll have pasta instead of turkey!

What are you doing?

Joy

David and Joy... another 10 night alumni here! Just had to jump in and say hello! Wish I could join you all in the Med!

TR.... a hello to you, too! You were quite helpful last July when I sailed Mercury and commented kindly on the review that I posted post-cruise.

Hope life is good for all of you! :)

Gina

I thought that I had read on these boards that Mercury's master was Captain Periklis Petridis? This is a shame.

Gina--how are you doing? Good to hear from you.

Joy, we are doing the Venice - Barcelona cruise with stops at Dubrovnik, Santorini, Athens, Rome, Naples, Florence, Nice plus 3 days at sea. Sounds exhausting! I must hear from you after you finish your Med cruise. We are taking our 2 kids which means we are going in June of next year (also means more $$).

David

David, I was just wondering who the mystery man might be.

Sunday marks one month off of Summit. Nothing booked for the immediate future...... I usually have something on the calendar, but this past 30 days is the longest I have gone without a Celebrity booking in two years.:eek:

I'm pretty sure it was him.

He was the master on Galaxy when we sailed to the Panama Canal from Galveston in early April, but then I read here he moved to Mercury right afterward ...

AND more to the point, as we listened to the CD's announcements from pierside this afternoon, I heard him say "Captain Petridis" the first time (it's the one captain I really remember) but then he kind of faltered the second time and it almost sounded like he said a different name (I wasn't listening hard enough because at that point I wasn't aware that the situation going on was captain replacement!!!).

Also an interesting note. Mercury was one of three ships in Seattle today. The other two were HAL's Zaandam and RC's Vision of the Seas --- RC's first time back in Seattle in several years. Both other ships also left later than expected -- and Vision OTS didn't leave until well after Mercury, around 7 pm, two hours late. Wonder if any of the "relief" came from its crew? -- TR

David, I was just wondering who the mystery man might be.

Sunday marks one month off of Summit. Nothing booked for the immediate future...... I usually have something on the calendar, but this past 30 days is the longest I have gone without a Celebrity booking in two years.:eek:

Gina, yes, you should be getting the shakes by now!

I imagine delays may have been a result of all kinds of internal upheaval, paperwork/orders, and the clearing out of belongings....maybe a few late flights for the east coast for good measure too...

Lois R is on board...I hope she feels comfortable.

very seldom do the ships leave late here. I watch them every weekend. Definitely nothing like the Vision OTS delay. Everyone's usually out of here like clockwork ... it's quite a parade some weekend afternoons ... this year we are maxed out all three "weekend days" -- three ships each day Fri/Sat/Sun all summer.

I found Lois's number -- we had dinner last night -- and tried calling. Already out of range. Not that I'd expect her to have the phone on hand in the dining room, but you never know.

Archived