Aft Balcony vs. Mid ship mini suite

tsxgray1

From what I've read, that answer depends on what is important to you. In terms of cabin size, most of the difference is in the bathroom. However, the mid ship mini suites have pretty small balconies. I opted to go with an aft facing balcony instead of the mini suite for my trip in Feb 2014. I'd much rather invest my travel dollars in an enjoyable balcony than a bathroom.

Slightly different perspective. I used to always select the aft balcony over pretty much anything else. But then I stated in an M6 on breakaway and my friend stayed in a BX (the very first two cabins forward on deck eight). I now put all of those choices in my first choice possibilities.

Terry

Edited by tel2

Also on the new ships with only two stairwell and elevator areas (fwd and aft) I'd also consider moving around as the crowds can make moving a bit difficult at times. Aft is great if you don't need to go to the bow of the ship very often (for example twice or three times a day to go to the buffet :D).

But anyway, If having a choice between aft facing balcony and midship minisuite, I'd probably go with aft balcony because of all the raving about those here. :D If it was aft cabin with balcony on the side of the ship, then I'd check which one is more conviniently located to elevators.

Edited by Demonyte

I had a mid ship minisuite on the Breakaway and loved it. Yes, the balcony is smaller, but I thought I read the balcony's for the Getaway were supposed to be a bit bigger. I loved the huge shower in the minisuite, to me it was worth the extra price.

I was able to visit Gambee's aft balcony for our sailaway and it was a great view and the balcony was HUGE! However, the motion back there is too much for me. I loved the mid ship minisuite because when the seas were rough it wasn't too bad in my cabin, however, Gambee's had a lot of motion. If you are prone to motion sickness I would go for the mid ship mini.

We like aft, but for the Getaway, we booked an M6 mini with large balcony on deck 8. Pretty far forward, but not far from all the midship action. I think the balconies are close in size to the aft balconies so I'm hoping it will be the best of both worlds.

We stayed in a spa minisuite on our June Breakaway cruise. This cabin was midship on deck 14 and was identical to other minisuites on this deck except it had lighter colored wood and week long spa access. I would not call the bathroom awesome, more like nice. The balcony in this cabin was small, and since we do spend a good deal of time on our balcony during cruises and really did not make much use of the spa or jetted shower in the bathroom, for these reasons we chose for our 12 day Breakaway southern cruise in 2015 an aft balcony on deck 12.

From what I've read, that answer depends on what is important to you. In terms of cabin size, most of the difference is in the bathroom. However, the mid ship mini suites have pretty small balconies. I opted to go with an aft facing balcony instead of the mini suite for my trip in Feb 2014. I'd much rather invest my travel dollars in an enjoyable balcony than a bathroom.

I agree, we moved to a B1 aft cabin on the Breakaway, much better bang for your buck.

As most have mentioned, it comes down to what you find more important. Bathroom size or balcony size. We booked a midship mini for our cruise to nowhere on the Breakaway - but since it's two days, in Jan, in the Atlantic, I didn't think we'd be spending much time on our balcony, so the bathroom won the day. lol

• 2 months later...

I need 4 cabins , two of which need to sleep 4 persons. The choices that I am considering are mini suites 8 cabins from the rear of the ship vs. premium balcony cabins mid ship. My concern is the motion at the rear of the ship. Three of the families have not cruised before so I don't know how they will handle the motion. However, I like the sleeper sofa that the mini suite has so only one child has to use the drop down bed. Comfort vs. motion? Any thoughts? The cruise is to Alaska round trip out of Seattle.

• 11 months later...
I need 4 cabins , two of which need to sleep 4 persons. The choices that I am considering are mini suites 8 cabins from the rear of the ship vs. premium balcony cabins mid ship. My concern is the motion at the rear of the ship. Three of the families have not cruised before so I don't know how they will handle the motion. However, I like the sleeper sofa that the mini suite has so only one child has to use the drop down bed. Comfort vs. motion? Any thoughts? The cruise is to Alaska round trip out of Seattle.

Hi we have cruised Alaska twice and I can tell you that you do not have a large open body water. You always will be able to see beautiful land....hope this helps . On one cruise to Alaska we had 21 -27 degrees Celsius ocean was like glass. When we were at the glacier watching the calving they had to change there hot bailey drinks to blue glacier tropical drink with a umbrella(lol).