Carnival Shares

Scriv

Has anyone any views on whether it is worth buying Carnival shares please? We are considering an investment.....

Apologies if I am not posting in the right forum, but I haven't seen anything on shares for a long time, so thought here might be a good place to start.

Edited by Scriv

Has anyone any views on whether it is worth buying Carnival shares please? We are considering an investment.....

Apologies if I am not posting in the right forum, but I haven't seen anything on shares for a long time, so thought here might be a good place to start.

I primary bought Carnival Shares for the Shareholder benefits , not as an investment.

The investment portion was secondary not the primary reason.

I bought mine for the shareholder benefits rather than as a investment. I paid over £2000 for the hundred shares and notice that they have increased by about 50%. With the number of cruises I do the onboard credit i get as a shareholder is equivalent to over 20% net interest, shareholder benefits are not taxed. A good investment :D:D:D

I bought mine for the shareholder benefits rather than as a investment. I paid over £2000 for the hundred shares and notice that they have increased by about 50%. With the number of cruises I do the onboard credit i get as a shareholder is equivalent to over 20% net interest, shareholder benefits are not taxed. A good investment :D:D:D

A good investment for dividends and OBC but their buying price is high at the moment. Three years ago, I paid £2400 for a hundred. Not a financial expert but remember they could go down and you may face a loss, at least on paper. If you intend to keep them for many years for the benefits, they may be worth it even at current prices.

Everythings stockmarket wise is dropping at the moment, if you've got time I would wait until the market starts to turn up again, if your going soon then go for it the £150 OBC isn't bad as well as the dividends.

Rick.

Thanks all - as regards the benefits, am I right in thnking that if we buy now, we would get OBC for cruises that we have already booked once we have paid the balance?

Yes - once paid you have to submit proof of your shareholding e.g. statement of shareholding with current date then the credit is applied.

note that the onboard credit is per cabin not per person :(

i have certificated shares so just email <shareholderbenefits@carnivalukgroup.com> with my booking reference and share certificate number. They usually apply the credit within a couple of days :):)

ps - there is a cut off point, is it 2 weeks before departure? beyond which you can't apply for credit.

Yes, I have seen the cut off point - seems very reasonable.

And is the current rate of £30 really applicable to cruises under 7 days? Like 5 days or even 2?

Edited by Scriv

If you do decide to purchase Carnival shares, if you have a wife or husband be sure to get the shares in both your names and not just one.

Reason being is that if husband or wife decide to cruise alone each will qualify for the £150 OBC, where as if shares only in one name only the person who's name the shares are in can qualify for the OBC.

Example. If I cruise with my friends without my husband I qualify for £150 OBC. If he cruises without me (which he doesn't) not allowed:D he would also qualify. Worth getting in both names unless divi is allocated to pension fund.

note that the onboard credit is per cabin not per person :(

i have certificated shares so just email <shareholderbenefits@carnivalukgroup.com> with my booking reference and share certificate number. They usually apply the credit within a couple of days :):)

ps - there is a cut off point, is it 2 weeks before departure? beyond which you can't apply for credit.

We too are thinking of buying shares for the shareholder benefits, can I just ask, if we buy 100 shares each would that mean two lots of obc or just one as we would be in the same cabin?

We too are thinking of buying shares for the shareholder benefits, can I just ask, if we buy 100 shares each would that mean two lots of obc or just one as we would be in the same cabin?

You can only claim ONE benefit per cabin so there is no advantage in both of you owning the shares.

Full details here

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mjc0MjIzfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Brian

Definitely worth it! We did a back to back a year ago so got £150 for each of the two cruises. Then late in the year we did a 17 night cruise so received another £150 - that's £450 OBC much more than any interest would give us on the sum we paid out for the shares.

Yes, I have seen the cut off point - seems very reasonable.

And is the current rate of £30 really applicable to cruises under 7 days? Like 5 days or even 2?

Yes, the £30 rate is for 6 days (5 nights) or less so you do get it for just two days.

Brian

The lowest price in the last 12 months is £21.55 and the highest £35.52. The shares closed yesterday at £32.09 after a fall of £1.49 in the day - so you can lose the equivalent of the shareholder benefit in one day. If you intend to buy its best to monitor the share price for a few days to try and get the best time to buy.

Share details on BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/shares/3/87234/default.stm

Brian

As a complete greenhorn to stocks and shares I want to buy some shares but have no idea how to go about that. Any advice? Can you just buy them online? Also, what certification do you receive that you then forward to the cruiselines? Many thanks and sorry if these are naive questions :confused:

As a complete greenhorn to stocks and shares I want to buy some shares but have no idea how to go about that. Any advice? Can you just buy them online? Also, what certification do you receive that you then forward to the cruiselines? Many thanks and sorry if these are naive questions :confused:

Like you, no idea really about these things but just used the Sharedealing arm of my on-line bank which is the Halifax - feel sure our frieds have done it through HSBC too. I have no certification other than I can access the current statement of the share value through my online banking (you do have a separate username and password from your other bank accounts).

In the past Carnival accepted an email link to that account (Halifax allow you to hide your account details which in fairness Carnival go to some lengths to tell you they don't want to see) but the date shows and your possession of the requisite 100 Carnival shares.

However the last time I tried to register the info they weren't prepared to accept that emailed link for security reasons and went to some pains to say they had deleted that info from their system. Then I tried a copy and paste inserted into an email - same response they deleted it. They accepted a photocopy (Screen dump) of the account sent through the post. I received notification within a couple of days with an updated booking confirmation account with the obc added.

Hope that helps.

The cheapest way is to buy them on line and hold the shares in a nominee account. There are many companies that do this but make sure you don't use one that imposes an annual fee for holding your shares. Look at Halifax on line or Hargreaves Lansdown. There are many others.

To buy shares on line you first have to deposit a sum of money slightly higher than you think you will need. Then you say what shares you want to buy and how many. You will be given a price valid for 15 seconds so you then either accept or not. You can view your on line statement at any time and print off as proof of your holding. You need to factor in the stamp duty cost (0.5%) so £16 on a £3200 deal plus dealing costs £12-£15.

Alternatively you can buy them in certified form which means you get a paper certificate. This costs more and can be done through most banks.

Brian

I bought mine through HSBC online banking last November, you can set a price you want to buy them at and sit and wait or just buy them there and then. They were £2345 for the shares and with commission and stamp duty totalled £2370.

You get around £60 a year in dividends via 4 £15 quarterly sums which with HSBC goes straight back in the bank, even with the shares over £3000 is a 2% return. I got $250 on-board credit for my Hawaii cruise (Princess), just mailed a screen shot of the account with the account numbers blacked out and the credit was there 4 days later.

There is nothing to stop you buying the shares, applying for the on board credit and selling them again.

Its quite a bargain so far.

Edited by CCFC

Thank you so much for that wealth of information. You are all wonderful.

And from me too for all the responses to my question and all the info. I now feel very well informed. Thanks so much.

I am now planning to watch for a week or two to see what happens to the Carnival shares and also to the global shares market following on from China before making a final decision.

Thanks everyone!!:)