Temperature of Staterooms/Pajama Dilemma

SpaceGirl

I'm one of those weirdos who gets cold easily, and even in the hot summer, I'm cold in most restaurants, hotel rooms, and movie theaters. I'll bring a winter coat to wear when I'm in each of those establishments. I'll be cruising to Alaska via the Ruby later this week, and I know I'm going to wear layers in the daytime, but I'm concerned about night. How warm/cool are the staterooms? I'm pretty sure I'll be too cold if I wear normal summertime pj's (shorts and a tank top), so I'm planning to take long pj bottoms. What I'm not so sure about is the top. On one hand, I don't want to bring a few t-shirts to wear with them and then be too cold to sleep... on the other hand, I don't want to bring a bunch of long-sleeved pajama tops and not use them (they would take up a lot of room in the suitcase, and I don't have a few long-sleeved tops that would match the pants like I do with the short-sleeved shirts). Are the staterooms kept cool (at least, as cool as most restaurants/hotel rooms/movie theaters are in the summer), or are they on the warm side?

Not sure which ship you'll be on, but we were on the Grand 3 years ago, an inside cabin, and I froze the entire week. We reported it to maintenance, and they came and adjusted the thermostat, but the room was still frigid. My mom's cabin right next door was nice and toasty though. Cabin B333 was her cabin and I think we were B335. On other Alaskan cruises we've had no issues with cold cabins.

Edited by 4cats4me

You are able to control temperature of room by means of a room thermostat situated on a wall panel....seems to work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, probably best to bring my long sleeves, then! My travel companion is twice my size, thus he's usually just right or too hot when I'm freezing.

Don't hesitate to ask the steward for an extra blanket or comforter if you cannot find one already hidden in the room. DH likes the room cold so I always have an extra layer for me. Also I have been known to take a nap or two and I hate to get under the covers for that. So my "extra" does double duty.:)

The way I see it, the stateroom temperature can be somewhat subjective. What is warm/cool for one person, can be the complete opposite for another. For me, it would be better to understand what is a comfortable temperature you keep your residence at most of the time. For example, in the summer, our A/C is never higher than 74 as anything higher than that, we are uncomfortable. At night, we will drop it to 69-72, depending on which house we are in.

In the winter, we usually don't set the heat higher than 72-73 during the daytime, and just let it cool back down to 69-70 at night. That's our comfortable range and in all the cruises we have been on, we have never been able to get the room really as cool as we like it, be it Alaska in September or the Panama Canal. The first thing we do when we walk in is turn the thermostats all the way down and that's where they stay for the duration of the cruise.

Don't hesitate to ask the steward for an extra blanket or comforter if you cannot find one already hidden in the room. DH likes the room cold so I always have an extra layer for me. Also I have been known to take a nap or two and I hate to get under the covers for that. So my "extra" does double duty.:)

Ok, good to know! I'll do that if I'm cold!

Before every cruise I tell me darling wife not to pack pajamas because the captain has said they are not allowed. She never believes me!!!:D

I don't, either. My friend would be uncomfortable if I didn't pack jammies, anyway!

The way I see it, the stateroom temperature can be somewhat subjective. What is warm/cool for one person, can be the complete opposite for another. For me, it would be better to understand what is a comfortable temperature you keep your residence at most of the time. For example, in the summer, our A/C is never higher than 74 as anything higher than that, we are uncomfortable. At night, we will drop it to 69-72, depending on which house we are in.

In the winter, we usually don't set the heat higher than 72-73 during the daytime, and just let it cool back down to 69-70 at night. That's our comfortable range and in all the cruises we have been on, we have never been able to get the room really as cool as we like it, be it Alaska in September or the Panama Canal. The first thing we do when we walk in is turn the thermostats all the way down and that's where they stay for the duration of the cruise.

I don't have AC in my house, but I'm comfortable when it's 83 (and my travel companion thinks that's way too hot) and don't estart getting uncomfortable until about 86 or 87. On the other hand, in the winter, the heater is set to go off if it gets any cooler than 76, and my travel companion is comfortable around 72.

I don't mind a cold room at night. I actually sleep with a fan on. But I want to make sure I have enough layers (clothing or blankets) so I'm not too cold to sleep.

I'm one of those weirdos who gets cold easily, and even in the hot summer, I'm cold in most restaurants, hotel rooms, and movie theaters. I'll bring a winter coat to wear when I'm in each of those establishments. I'll be cruising to Alaska via the Ruby later this week, and I know I'm going to wear layers in the daytime, but I'm concerned about night. How warm/cool are the staterooms? I'm pretty sure I'll be too cold if I wear normal summertime pj's (shorts and a tank top), so I'm planning to take long pj bottoms. What I'm not so sure about is the top. On one hand, I don't want to bring a few t-shirts to wear with them and then be too cold to sleep... on the other hand, I don't want to bring a bunch of long-sleeved pajama tops and not use them (they would take up a lot of room in the suitcase, and I don't have a few long-sleeved tops that would match the pants like I do with the short-sleeved shirts). Are the staterooms kept cool (at least, as cool as most restaurants/hotel rooms/movie theaters are in the summer), or are they on the warm side?

Two points.

1. It's a seven day cruise. At most three tops would be enough.

2. No one will know if the tops don't match the bottoms.

Also depends where you are in the cabin. Mom, Sis and I cruise together, seems like the temp is our Goldilicks- one of us is always too cold, one is always too hot and the third is just right. We've discovered that different areas of the cabin have differing temps (our clocks have thermometers :)).

We've learnt to bring a range of sleep clothes (or clothes that can be slept in) with us.

My sister is usually much colder than anyone else. I'm usually cold, but sleep hot. What's worse is when it's too hot at night even she can't sleep. Oh, the dilemma. Anyway, you can crank the air up to very warm or down to pretty cold. We usually try to compromise and leave it right in the middle. But, at night we turn it down so it's colder. I then sleep with just lightweight PJs and a sheet. She sleeps in sweats with an extra blanket. Works for us.