"Big U" Update

It's amazing to think how long the ship has been idle now.

I do hope the SS United States Conservancy will re-think Philadelphia as a final home, given the city has a new mayor and administration at City Hall.

I think she is way better off in NYC since is much bigger tourist draw, but if she is refurbished there I will have to visit Philly for the 1st time

I think she is way better off in NYC since is much bigger tourist draw, but if she is refurbished there I will have to visit Philly for the 1st time

Now THAT's saying a lot since Philly is "enemy territory" if you're a fan of the Pokes! :D I'll buy you a cheesesteak if it happens. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Now THAT's saying a lot since Philly is "enemy territory" if you're a fan of the Pokes! :D I'll buy you a cheesesteak if it happens. ;)

Hopefully they will restore a bar on the ship and we could have a cold one, I worked for US Lines in 60's ( 1st job) and every Christmas a fellow employee would do there Christmas cruise as more or less a social director he told me his main job was to tell bartender what time to close

Hopefully they will restore a bar on the ship and we could have a cold one, I worked for US Lines in 60's ( 1st job) and every Christmas a fellow employee would do there Christmas cruise as more or less a social director he told me his main job was to tell bartender what time to close

Sounds like the chap had LONG hours! :)

Sounds like the chap had LONG hours! :)

He loved it , they even gave him a clothing allowance for the cruise, he was also single and a drinker, many other employees of the company sailed on her, I was just 18 at the time and never had the chance, started cruising about 7 years later

• 2 months later...

I was telling a very old friend about when I worked for US Lines in 1967 and they gave us all a frozen turkey for Thanksgiving, bag I was carrying the bird broke on top step of subway stairs and bird rolled down the stairs at 14st, lucky it did not hit anyone, he lives in Jersey and goes to Philly often and passes by the SS United States and he belongs to

//philly.curbed.com/2016/7/5/12096284/ss-united-states-ship-photos

I was telling a very old friend about when I worked for US Lines in 1967 and they gave us all a frozen turkey for Thanksgiving, bag I was carrying the bird broke on top step of subway stairs and bird rolled down the stairs at 14st, lucky it did not hit anyone, he lives in Jersey and goes to Philly often and passes by the SS United States and he belongs to

//philly.curbed.com/2016/7/5/12096284/ss-united-states-ship-photos

Hahahaha. That bird had flown the coup! :D

I also see the ship frequently. Sadly, she is looking worse these days. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Santa Claus pays visit to The Big U TONIGHT on Philadelphia's waterfront as the SS United States Conservancy holds an event to light the funnels and more.

Arrangements have been made to provide the most illumination to the Big Ship in years. :cool:

The lighting is set for 6:30 this evening. There will be a get together starting at 6pm at a steak house within view of the ship off Delaware Avenue.

http://www.ssusc.org/category/news/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

An excellent history of the 'Philadelphia era' of Big U....

One thing that is not mentioned in the story....At the time that Norwegian Cruise Lines purchased her, NCL was principally owned by Genting, the Asian based world wide gambling and resort operator.

And recently, Genting has acquired Crystal Cruises (from the NYK Line)....

So Genting should have been very familiar with the condition and rehab costs for big U....

Why did they in effect, buy it twice?:confused:

An excellent history of the 'Philadelphia era' of Big U....

One thing that is not mentioned in the story....At the time that Norwegian Cruise Lines purchased her, NCL was principally owned by Genting, the Asian based world wide gambling and resort operator.

And recently, Genting has acquired Crystal Cruises (from the NYK Line)....

So Genting should have been very familiar with the condition and rehab costs for big U....

Why did they in effect, buy it twice?:confused:

Fascinating point. Given the outdated design of the ship, perhaps it was a ploy to put Crystal in the headlines. Money was spent on the feasibility study.

Genting's Chairman and CEO, Lim Kok Thay, has had a fascination with the SSUS, dating back to when Genting was majority owner of NCL. When NCL's US flag operations went south, and NCL's CEO Colin Veitch was ousted, when Apollo Global Management took majority control, Lim Kok Thay lost control of any plans for the SSUS. Using Crystal cruises was his best bet to get the hull back from the Conservancy. I believe this was a genuine effort by Crystal, as witnessed by the stature of the feasability study members, truly looked at updating the ship to current SOLAS requirements, but again, just like when NCL started their US flag operations, no one in charge really had any idea what was entailed with US flag operations, and US flag operation would be the only benefit from using the SSUS hulll.

• 4 weeks later...

The SS United States Conservancy continues work to transform the ship into a landmark destination and is planning a new awareness campaign, "We Are the United States."

http://us14.campaign-archive1.com/?u=13519ee32541511d304dd9e6f&id=d82e6d9a27

The undisclosed interests in developing the ship have lost their exclusive status, presumably in New York City. The Conservancy seems to be open to other cities that could host the ship.

• 1 month later...

In case anyone still cares, there is a new crowdfunding campaign for the ship:

go fund me dot com /wearetheunitedstates

*edit: would not allow the link to be posted for some reason

I think the funniest part of this campaign is that even if the $100k goal is met, that'll keep the ship in docking fees for what, a whole month and a half?!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
In case anyone still cares, there is a new crowdfunding campaign for the ship:

go fund me dot com /wearetheunitedstates

*edit: would not allow the link to be posted for some reason

I think the funniest part of this campaign is that even if the $100k goal is met, that'll keep the ship in docking fees for what, a whole month and a half?!

Whle I'd love to see the Big U preserved in some form...I think at this point it is time to throw in the towel, and have her scrapped....a waste to keep throwing money at what seems to be a hopeless quest. Just keep some recognizable parts, like the bridge, the prow, and some other sections to be distributed to worthy maritime museums....

Sadly, the ship seems to be running out of its nine lives. Driving by her South Philly berth, I'm always amazed she is still there.

I have worked as a volunteer on Philadelphia's historic tall ship Gazela. While her construction dates back to 1901, it is said this ship contains timber from the original 1883 ship that was heavily damaged by fire.

Time to build a new "Big U" that could have some components from the original?

• 2 weeks later...

The SS United States Conservancy now reports a second major gift, $100K from a donor at Long Beach, California. It means the Conservancy has reached nearly sixty percent of its campaign goal of $500K.

Still, no word, update on efforts to attract investors to relocate the ship to NYC.

• 3 months later...