do they take our birth cert when you apply for passport?

mother2_3

I saw this on one post in one thread, but havent seen it on the official website. I'm nervous now. I am cruising 9/28 and am going for passport on Monday (with almost 10 weeks remaining). If they take my birth certificate for the application and I don't get my passport in time (even though I have 10 weeks- something may happen) then I have no passport AND no birth certificate. Did I misread the post or do the keep the birth certificate and mail it back to you?

thanks- sharon

You send your birth certificate in with your Passport application and it will be sent back to you. Sometimes it will be sent back in the same envelope as your passport and sometimes it will be sent back separately.

Your birth certificate is mailed in with your application to the Passport Agency. The current time frame for return is about 4 weeks so there should not be a problem getting it back in 10 weeks. You also can get another copy of your birth certificate before then if you feel like you might need it.

Up here I just go into the passport office with my forms and they look at the birth certificate and return it to you on the spot. The application is then sent out and the passport arrives within 2 weeks.

thanks for all the quick responses. i think i will do the passport ap monday and then if idont get either back by the first on sept, then i will send for an expedited birth certificate. i just freaked for a moment when i thought there was a possibility that i would be left with neither!

Up here I just go into the passport office with my forms and they look at the birth certificate and return it to you on the spot. The application is then sent out and the passport arrives within 2 weeks.

Doesn't work that way in the US. BC is taken and sent with the application and returned separately, usually within a week after getting the passport.

We ordered a certified copy of our birth certificates to send in with the passport application just in case they were to get lost in the mail. That way we still had ours here at home. We figured better safe than sorry.

Has anyone ever used the US Post office for obtaining the passport?

I did, last year about this time. We got BC back in one envelope and passports back in another ... in less than 2 weeks.

If my daughter doesn't hurry up and apply for hers, she will not be going on our early September cruise.

I did, last year about this time. We got BC back in one envelope and passports back in another ... in less than 2 weeks.

If my daughter doesn't hurry up and apply for hers, she will not be going on our early September cruise.

Closed loop cruises you don't need a passport only a birth certificate...HOWEVER if anything happens to you overseas (illness/injury or miss the boat)...you're hosed. I'd recommend to anyone to consider getting a passport and get it out of the way. I think eventually you'll need a passport for anything.

And................if you're married and this is the first time applying for a passport, (for the ladies), you'll need your wedding certificate unless you've kept your maiden name.

I thought the clerk at the post office was being alittle anal but I called U.S. passport services and she said this was the correct procedure.

Closed loop cruises you don't need a passport only a birth certificate...HOWEVER if anything happens to you overseas (illness/injury or miss the boat)...you're hosed. I'd recommend to anyone to consider getting a passport and get it out of the way. I think eventually you'll need a passport for anything.

I know, but I am NOT telling her that!

Although the closed loop cruises state you don't need that, many people have stated not all customs at the US port believe so. In one post the officer chided a returning cruiser for having just a BC. Not always the case I know but, just in case, get a passport anyhow. Everyone in our group are either about to go to the PO to get one or already have one.

I saw this on one post in one thread, but havent seen it on the official website. I'm nervous now. I am cruising 9/28 and am going for passport on Monday (with almost 10 weeks remaining). If they take my birth certificate for the application and I don't get my passport in time (even though I have 10 weeks- something may happen) then I have no passport AND no birth certificate. Did I misread the post or do the keep the birth certificate and mail it back to you?

thanks- sharon

They do take your BC.. but they send it back to you once the application has been run and your ppt has been made. However, make copies of them before you take them to the county clerks office to file for your ppts. this way in case something does happen and you don't get your ppt on time, you still have it.

And................if you're married and this is the first time applying for a passport, (for the ladies), you'll need your wedding certificate unless you've kept your maiden name.

I thought the clerk at the post office was being alittle anal but I called U.S. passport services and she said this was the correct procedure.

My first passport was 15 years expired and under my maiden name (ie Jane Amy Doe) I was able to get my new passport under my married name without my marriage certificate. I do use my maiden name as my legal middle name (ie Jane Doe Smith).

They do take your BC.. but they send it back to you once the application has been run and your ppt has been made. However, make copies of them before you take them to the county clerks office to file for your ppts. this way in case something does happen and you don't get your ppt on time, you still have it.

The copies are worthless because they are not certified. Don't waste your money.

the BC copy you ll need is the one with the raised stamp..

anyone that travel s..eventually your going to need a passport..and you ll be asking how you can get one quickly..there is not quick way to get one..most of us had to wait atleast a month..other s alot longer..

you can pay a extra fee to expedite a passport..my daughter needed one

in 2 week s for a last minute..we got her birth certificate and went to the

agency office in San Francisco..paid an extra $60 and and picked it up the next day..

Interesting. I didn't have to provide mine for the passport. I brought it but she said only my DL was needed because my married name was on it and you have to show marriage certificate there.

Archived