Holes on Deck 2 of QM2

capnpugwash

How do they repair them? Does anyone know. And I wonder how the holes actually develop. Water damage caused or some mildew?

They remove the carpet and underlay and replace/repair the sub floor, hopefully a little better than they did the last time during the refit. Then relay the coverings.

How do they repair them? Does anyone know. And I wonder how the holes actually develop. Water damage caused or some mildew?

DDBINK, this video from the last dry dock describes the repair process:

fast forward to 1:20

As capnpugwash said, hopefully it will be better done this time. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Thank you. I had never seen those vids. What is that floor made of that it just falls apart ?

The holes or spongy depressions outside the main entrance of the Britannia restaurant are being repaired over the next several days. They were very noticeable during the past fortnight.

I remeber those "holes" under the carpet back in 2010. I thought I was going to fall through the floor to the "coal" bins below. If I thought I was going to feed the furnaces, I'd at least like a staircase leading to the area!

Patching it up is a bit like the quick fix our local council does on the potholes in the roads. The whole subfloor needs removing and replacing with something that is capable of standing the traffic.

Same applies to the broken chairs but I despare of any improvements there.

David.

Patching it up is a bit like the quick fix our local council does on the potholes in the roads. The whole subfloor needs removing and replacing with something that is capable of standing the traffic.Same applies to the broken chairs but I despare of any improvements there.

David.

David, that makes sense to me. But I thought that on the last refit, the subfloor was replaced? -S.

I remeber those "holes" under the carpet back in 2010. I thought I was going to fall through the floor to the "coal" bins below. If I thought I was going to feed the furnaces, I'd at least like a staircase leading to the area!

Ah yes, 2010, I remember...

Wearing what I thought was beautiful gown, 3 inch heel...proceeding to the Britannia Dining room, and getting stuck in a skink hole. Not one of my most gracious moments.

That was the last time I wore three inch heels. Ah, I remember it well.

Edited by Salacia

Supposedly the pothole problem was fixed after the 2011 dry dock but the holes were back in less than 2 years so obviously the fix didn't last. We were also expecting to see the sofas in the cabins replaced and that hasn't happened so I no longer believe everything they tell us.

Ah yes, 2010, I remember...

Wearing what I thought was beautiful gown, 3 inch heel...proceeding to the Britannia Dining room, and getting stuck in a skink hole. Not one of my most gracious moments.

That was the last time I wore three inch heels. Ah, I remember it well.

It certainly was disconcerting to say the least. I guess the repairs made didn't last all that long.