At a Loss for What to Do In St. Croix

cleob

DH and I will be stopping at St. Croix in March aboard Serenade of the Seas. I've been checking out these boards but I can't seem to get a clear picture of what are must do things on this island. Have the cruise ships started going there again or is this only starting in the Fall? Any suggestions or reviews would be welcome.

Cruise ships have been back on St. Croix for a while now.

RCCL Adventure of the Seas comes every other week. We also had quite a few Disney ships and some other repositioning ships that made calls here this past year.

As for things to do it really depends on your interests.

If you are beach people and enjoy snorkeling I would recommend a visit to beautiful Buck Island.

If you like history then an island tour which will stop at Whim Plantation, St. George's Botanical Garden and the Cruzan Rum Factory.

If you SCUBA dive, a Cane Bay wall dive is awesome.

If you like adventure there are tour operators that will take you on a jeep tour of the island and to some secluded pools at Annaly Bay.

If you want to see Danish architecture and shop visit Christiansted.

There is plenty to do here, a website that has great information on the island is http://www.gotostcroix.com

Regards from St. Croix

Ellen

You can also rent a car and drive all over the island, going to the eastern most point of the US which is quite a nice spot, to Christiansted and to the various other places CrucianGal mentioned.

Driving is interesting as the cars have the steering wheel on the left side of the car as we do on the US mainland, but you also drive on the left side of the road as in the UK. It's not hard at all.

• 4 months later...

We just came back from doing private catarmaran with Kindred Spirit. Capt dan charges 100/person, 6 person max for full day sail and snorkel with lunch and drinks. Worth every penny! Take shuttle from Fredristad to Christenstad, he is at marina there. Let me know if you want his info.

DH and I will be stopping at St. Croix in March aboard Serenade of the Seas. I've been checking out these boards but I can't seem to get a clear picture of what are must do things on this island. Have the cruise ships started going there again or is this only starting in the Fall? Any suggestions or reviews would be welcome.
We did the Gecko ATV tour back in November and really enjoyed it

We just came back from doing private catarmaran with Kindred Spirit. Capt dan charges 100/person, 6 person max for full day sail and snorkel with lunch and drinks. Worth every penny! Take shuttle from Fredristad to Christenstad, he is at marina there. Let me know if you want his info.

Hi we are coming in jan. and did book a buck island trip, i'm just wondering where you went snorkeling ,it seems like a good price for lunch and a fullday. We are booked for a half day because we thought that would give us some time to do other things but don't know exactly what else there is to do since this is our first trip tost. croix

We were in St. Croix in December and we did the ATV tour with Gecko's Island Tours. We had a blast. We walked to the office, it is within minutes of the pier. My husband I shared an ATV - the price for the tour is per ATV. He had so much fun operating the ATV. Our tour guide was Seth and he was fun, knowledgeable, and personable. Not only did we have a great time, we learned a lot about the island and its history. We only booked the ATV tour; however, the expanded tour seems like a great value. Seth returned us to the office and we walked around the shops, stopped for a beverage, and even had time to take a swim at the nearby beach. Everyone at Gecko's was terriffic to deal with. I had emailed a few questions prior to booking the tour and Seth always got back to me promptly. We really had a great time on this tour.

We took a taxi from the pier and visited the St. George Village Botanical Garden and really enjoyed it. Even our kids liked it! If you can find an organized tour going on follow them around a bit and then do the self-guided tour- or perhaps pay for a tour guide.

Then we spent the rest of our day at the beautiful Sandcastle Beach. The beach belongs to a resort and has a bathroom, bar, food, and showers! They were happy to have us for the afternoon without charge. They also rent out snorkel gear. Our Taxi driver knew all about this beach and deemed it (rightfully so) the best beach for us.

What really made our day perfect was our Taxi driver.

Our taxi driver charged us (2 adults and 3 children) $40 to go to the Botanical Gardens, and the Beach. I asked her to find a laundromat nearby and for another $10 she took me back to the ship to get my laundry, dropped me off at the laundromat, drove my family to the beach, and then came and picked me up 2 hours later and took me to my family at Sandcastle beach. We were so pleased with her service that we gave her an extra $10 (total $60). We had planned to walk back to the ship (about a 20 minute walk to Fredricksted pier) and had already paid her. (NOTE: MAKE SURE TO PAY ALL TAXI DRIVERS ON ALL THE ISLANDS ONLY AFTER THEY RETURN YOU TO THE SHIP!)

It had started to rain and she came back to get us! She didn't want us to walk in the rain. When we asked how much $ she would want-she said that it was for free. She just didn't want us to walk in the rain with the kids and a big suitcase full of clean laundry!

Her name is Audrey. Her cell #340.332.3034.

If you're lucky enough to ride with her please tell her that the crazy family with the laundry sent you and says Hello!

Please don't delete this reply! She really was amazing and HONEST and deserves the recommendation!

We took a taxi from the pier and visited the St. George Village Botanical Garden and really enjoyed it. Even our kids liked it! If you can find an organized tour going on follow them around a bit and then do the self-guided tour- or perhaps pay for a tour guide.

Then we spent the rest of our day at the beautiful Sandcastle Beach. The beach belongs to a resort and has a bathroom, bar, food, and showers! They were happy to have us for the afternoon without charge. They also rent out snorkel gear. Our Taxi driver knew all about this beach and deemed it (rightfully so) the best beach for us.

Our taxi driver charged us (2 adults and 3 children) $40 to go to the Botanical Gardens, and the Beach. I asked her to find a laundromat nearby and for another $10 she took me back to the ship to get my laundry, dropped me off at the laundromat, drove my family to the beach, and then came and picked me up 2 hours later and took me to my family at Sandcastle beach. We were so pleased with her service that we gave her an extra $10 (total $60). We had planned to walk back to the ship (about a 20 minute walk to Fredricksted pier) and had already paid her. (NOTE: MAKE SURE TO PAY ALL TAXI DRIVERS ON ALL THE ISLANDS ONLY AFTER THEY RETURN YOU TO THE SHIP!)

It had started to rain and she came back to get us! She didn't want us to walk in the rain. When we asked how much $ she would want-she said that it was for free. She just didn't want us to walk in the rain with the kids and a big suitcase full of clean laundry!

If you're lucky enough to ride with her please tell her that the crazy family with the laundry sent you and says Hello!

Please don't delete this reply! She really was amazing and HONEST and deserves the recommendation!

So glad you had a good day here! Lots of Cruzan people are really that awesomely kind and generous, good for you to meet a lovely lady in Audrey! I am a huge fan of the Botanical gradens here, I must say I remain really impressed at their display and knowledge, as well as love of beauty there.

thanks for the info on this driver!!!

• 2 weeks later...

CruisingforSix- we went to two different spots to snorkel whilst out with Capt Dan on Kindred Spirit. Sorry I don't remember what the places were called. He will take you wherever you like and where he has seen lots of fish etc. This was ABSOLUTELY the best excursion we went on this trip! We were wowed by the catamaran and it roomy-ness for 6 people. Here is his website internationalcharterservices.com I can't rave about this trip enough!

• 4 months later...
CruisingforSix- we went to two different spots to snorkel whilst out with Capt Dan on Kindred Spirit. Sorry I don't remember what the places were called. He will take you wherever you like and where he has seen lots of fish etc. This was ABSOLUTELY the best excursion we went on this trip! We were wowed by the catamaran and it roomy-ness for 6 people. Here is his website internationalcharterservices.com I can't rave about this trip enough!

Can you give a little description of your day? How long, food, drinks, etc? I'm looking at this for my next cruise. Thanks!!!

• 2 months later...

Not sure if anybody is still reading this thread, but based on your recommendation, I called Audrey. It took a few days to reach her, but when I did, she seemed to be a very nice person. I booked with her over the phone.

Hopefully all will work out with using her.

Thanks,

Mitch.....

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if anybody is still reading this thread, but based on your recommendation, I called Audrey. It took a few days to reach her, but when I did, she seemed to be a very nice person. I booked with her over the phone.

Hopefully all will work out with using her.

Thanks,

Mitch.....

Hey Mitch - Would like to know how your excursion went when you get back - please post as we may want to book with her as well.....Thanks:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We are taking a tour with Audrey on Jan. 23 in St. Croix. I would really like to find a few more people to join the tour to make it more worthwhile for her; we will meet her as soon as the ship docks. The rate she quoted us was $25 each for a 3 hour tour; I think she may make the tour longer if she gets more people.

Carole and John from Canada, would you like to join this also?

We are taking a tour with Audrey on Jan. 23 in St. Croix. I would really like to find a few more people to join the tour to make it more worthwhile for her; we will meet her as soon as the ship docks. The rate she quoted us was $25 each for a 3 hour tour; I think she may make the tour longer if she gets more people.

I am cruising Feb. 20 - I would appreciate any information from your excursion experience - Enjoy your vacation :)

Hi, we would love to join you with audrey. Heard great things about her.

we are in room 9606 (I think) or leave a message for us at the front desk. They will find us.

Barbara Freeland

Brian Scott.

We're two newly 60's from Vancouver Island. Getting excited about going on the ship in a couple of hours!

Regards,

Barbara

's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A new activity in Frederiksted is Sunbug electric car eco-tours. Located 1 block from the pier. Just $39 per hour for four people. Self drive electric car have solar panals to charge the cars and allow you to travel from Sandy point beach turtle santuary to Mount Washington plantation (old sugar cane mill).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived