Retreat cabanas:Nieuw Amsterdam

chita

Thinking of booking one of these next year on our Med cruise.Have seen pictures of what looks like a round large bed! Would much prefer two separate loungers.Is this possible if we request it?

Thinking of booking one of these next year on our Med cruise.Have seen pictures of what looks like a round large bed! Would much prefer two separate loungers.Is this possible if we request it?

I do not believe it is possible for them to bring in 2 loungers and/or remove the one round lounger that is there already. If you look at the photos here http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Nieuw_Amsterdam/Lido-Midship-Pool-Cabanas.html you will see there is just no room. If you step just past the roped off area of a Pool Side Cabana, maybe 4-5 steps, you can laze away in a lounger there.

Joanie

Thanks for that Joanie.However looking more closely at your website it looks like the lido cabanas have the round bed but the retreat ones have 2 separate loungers - at least on the Eurodam.I assume Nieuw Amsterdam would be the same -am I correct

There are no round loungers in the Retreat cabanas.

Retreat cabanas on the Eurodam (NA would be the same):

2320074550102790654S425x425Q85.jpg

2357829880102790654S425x425Q85.jpg

Lido cabanas:

2328251100102790654S425x425Q85.jpg

From the pictures I've seen, most of the retreat cabanas look out over the rest of the ship. Why would they do that? Is it possible to reserve one on the side that looks over the ocean?

Also, is the whole area restricted? Who gets to use the lounge chairs in the middle?

The Retreat area is restricted to the guests who have rented cabanas.

The Retreat cabanas that face the Lido have a railing allowing for a good breeze. The ocean-side view have a seven foot plexiglass wall restricting air flow.

I agree with the previous post that there would be no place to move the round lounger.

Is it possible to reserve one on the side that looks over the ocean?
It's my understanding that you can't reserve a specific one, and if the one that you are assigned is not to your liking, you may or may not be able to change it depending on how many are pre-booked.

This picture is from the Eurodam. Note that one cabana has two separate loungers while the other has one double lounger. I don't know if you get your choice, or if this is the same way on the Nieuw A.

BTW, the N.A. doesn't have a Retreat. The area is called the Cabana Club there.

2752728380099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

Is it possible to reserve one on the side that looks over the ocean?

When you call ship services to reserve your cabana, ask them for the email address of the ship coordinator (person who assigns the cabanas). You can send them an email asking for either a general location (ie. facing the side) or even your choice of cabanas by name.

From the pictures I've seen, most of the retreat cabanas look out over the rest of the ship. Why would they do that? Is it possible to reserve one on the side that looks over the ocean?

Also, is the whole area restricted? Who gets to use the lounge chairs in the middle?

The cabanas wrap around; check the deck plans.

2242554020102790654S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks to you all for your marvellous knowledge and advice as usual.I'm all set to book a Cabana on the NA.

One more important thing - I,m angling to get one of the 2 person Cabanas next to the corner family ones facing aft - as shown on Krazy Kruizers picture of the aft facing ones.

Anyone know the names of these two Cabanas?

And how far in advance of my cruise should I contact the ship administrator to request a specific Cabana?

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Thanks to you all for your marvellous knowledge and advice as usual.I'm all set to book a Cabana on the NA.

One more important thing - I,m angling to get one of the 2 person Cabanas next to the corner family ones facing aft - as shown on Krazy Kruizers picture of the aft facing ones.

Anyone know the names of these two Cabanas?

And how far in advance of my cruise should I contact the ship administrator to request a specific Cabana?

Thanks again for all your help so far.

I believe "Naples" is one of the ones that you'd be interested in. If you go to HAL's web site and go to the deck plan for the NA, select Deck 11 (Observation Deck) and click on (and enlarge) the virtual tour of the Cabana Club. You can faintly see some of the names.

We enjoyed "Rhodes" (port side), which cannot be viewed straight on from the stairway, so it felt more private to me. We arranged to have our two lounge chairs moved forward and together, with just the small table in between for our beverages, books, binoculars, etc. We had a nice view of the ocean and passing ships, islands, etc. There is also a round table with two chairs within the cabana for dining. The various tables, chairs and loungers in the center area are shared by all the cabanas. Also, the cabana to the right of Rhodes was set up for massages and never used when we were there (the two sea days on our Mediterranean cruise last month.)

I would contact HAL as soon as you book your cruise, to see if you can request a specific cabana. It is my understanding that you can only book a cabana in advance if you are booking it for the entire cruise. We were on a port intensive cruise, so only wanted one for our two sea days. I was fortunate to secure one through the front desk for the two sea days after we boarded the NA. "Rhodes" and one other ("Santorini", I think?) were the only two available at that point. I was very happy as "Rhodes" is the one that I would have wanted anyway. :-)

Thanks a million lastlook for your help.The tip about the video tour was excellent.A clear view of the cabana we would like,and it's name - Naples.You were right about that too.

I've sent an email to HAL with a request to book a cabana because I couldn't find anywhere on the website to make a direct booking.

(Please put me right on this if I'm wrong)

Sent an email Monday.Got an automatic holding reply but so far nothing back from them.Do they usually take as long as this?

Thanks a million lastlook for your help.The tip about the video tour was excellent.A clear view of the cabana we would like,and it's name - Naples.You were right about that too.

I've sent an email to HAL with a request to book a cabana because I couldn't find anywhere on the website to make a direct booking.

(Please put me right on this if I'm wrong)

Sent an email Monday.Got an automatic holding reply but so far nothing back from them.Do they usually take as long as this?

You're most welcome. I've never had to contact HAL directly for anything, so really cannot tell you. if you don't hear back from them by e-mail soon, I would phone them to book a retreat cabana and ask if you can request Naples. The advice from OVgirl (post #8) sounds good to me too. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Archived