First Time Solo - 11/30/14 - Advice?

FloridaGalTPA

Hello All: While I am an extrovert and love spending time with friends and family, I convinced myself that I should do this. I love traveling and I enjoy cruising. It has been an emotionally tiring year and I am ready for a vacation and it is time to let my hair down :) :) :)

I'm going out of Tampa on HAL and the itinerary sounds fun and relaxing. Ryndam to Key West, Guatemala, Honduras and Mexico. My greater concern is that I have never cruised alone! Always with my husband and/or my children. So, for all of you who have ventured out before me as a solo cruiser, I would be very grateful if you would share your best advice on how I can make this trip a BLAST. Give me your best DO's and DONT's!

Thanks! Florida 52, Female

Bon voyage

Hello All: While I am an extrovert and love spending time with friends and family, I convinced myself that I should do this. I love traveling and I enjoy cruising. It has been an emotionally tiring year and I am ready for a vacation and it is time to let my hair down :)

I'm going out of Tampa on HAL and the itinerary sounds fun and relaxing. Ryndam to Key West, Guatemala, Honduras and Mexico. My greater concern is that I have never cruised alone! Always with my husband and/or my children. So, for all of you who have ventured out before me as a solo cruiser, I would be very grateful if you would share your best advice on how I can make this trip a BLAST. Give me your best DO's and DONT's!

Thanks! Florida 52, Female

Bon voyage

Hi,:) we are in the same age bracket (I am 56) and have been

cruising solo since 2003. I just returned home from a cruise (on

Saturday) and wish I was back on the ship.

Do's and don'ts......do whatever you want, whenever you want:D

Don't worry about "always being somewhere".....unless it it something

you are really interested in;)...but seriously, I just enjoy doing

nothing......find a chair and have a drink (if you partake) and do

relax:).......

Don't concern yourself with the folks who "might" say....."you are

cruising alone....you are so brave".......they have no idea how fun

it is to be cruising solo:D

Do try something new to eat......step outside of your comfort zone

a bit and don't worry if it ends up you don't like that something new.

Give it a taste...see how it goes.

Do see if there is a roll call started for your cruise....that is really

a nice way to meet other people on your sailing.

Most of all, DO HAVE FUN!

Be yourself and do what you want.

If you want to meet people, go up and introduce yourself, go to planned activities, hang out in the lounges, and just generally be friendly. But if you just need some alone time, don't feel bad about it. This is YOUR vacation on your own terms. Do what you want, when you want! Take excursions or don't, sing karaoke with strangers or don't, stay in your room and enjoy the quiet or hang out by the pool.

Stay true to who you are and enjoy yourself. I've only cruised solo once but it was the best thing I've ever done. As long as you make this your vacation on your own terms, you'll have a blast no matter what happens. :)

All good advice.

The key for me is that when I cruise solo I get to do the things I LIKE and WHEN I want. Like the night I didn't feel like having any of the desserts on the menu, so I had them bring me a steak for dessert!

I take the time each morning while I leisurely eat my breakfast to check out the day's planned activities. I have fun trying new things and meet others who share my interests.

Thank you all for such encouraging words. I am even more enthused and excited having read the things you've had to share! Steak for dessert:) and do what feels good to you! Great advice all around. Sadly, no roll call -- I wish there was! Happy Thanksgiving all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for such encouraging words. I am even more enthused and excited having read the things you've had to share! Steak for dessert:) and do what feels good to you! Great advice all around. Sadly, no roll call -- I wish there was! Happy Thanksgiving all!

Start a roll call! You don't have to wait on someone else. Get things started! I'm off on my first solo at Christmas. Enjoy your trip!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1929377

I found your roll call....join in.

I've been cruising solo since 2010, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Since I'm retired now and take longer cruises, I usually find someone on the roll call I have sailed with before, or then sometimes I just strike up new friendships.

Have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that even when you sailed with friends and family, there were times when you headed back to the cabin alone, or headed out alone first thing in the morning because the other person/people weren't ready, or swung by the buffet to pick up something to snack on in the room, etc.

So you've been "alone" on a cruise ship already -- think of this as an extension of that!