pier 27 to fisherman's wharf

We will be on the crown princess on the September 27 sailing. How far is of a walk is it from the new cruise ship pier 27 to fisherman's wharf? We are hoping to walk there and a bus or cab back to the ship. Any help would be appeciated.

We will be on the crown princess on the September 27 sailing. How far is of a walk is it from the new cruise ship pier 27 to fisherman's wharf? We are hoping to walk there and a bus or cab back to the ship. Any help would be appeciated.

Checking any available mapping program, a flat, just under a mile walk.

Thanks Loritd for the question and CruiserBruce for the reply.......we'll be arriving on the Crown Princess on Oct. 13th and plan to walk over to Fisherman's Wharf area to purchase an all-day visitor pass for the cable car/street car system at Walgreen's near by.........and wondered how long it would take to get over there!

Thanks for the info:)

. . . plan to walk over to Fisherman's Wharf area to purchase an all-day visitor pass for the cable car/street car system at Walgreen's near by.........and wondered how long it would take to get over there!

Depending on how fast you walk, it would take 15 to 20 minutes to walk the 3/4 mile. Fair warning: queues for the cable car are usually very long at the waterfront and you might have to wait in line for more than an hour at each stop. Weather in San Francisco is usually the best in October and, if that's the case, cruisers and other tourists will be out in force.

Depending on how fast you walk, it would take 15 to 20 minutes to walk the 3/4 mile. Fair warning: queues for the cable car are usually very long at the waterfront and you might have to wait in line for more than an hour at each stop. Weather in San Francisco is usually the best in October and, if that's the case, cruisers and other tourists will be out in force.

Editrix.........I've seen some mention about the busy stations and the waiting lines for popular locations.......does that occur at all stations?.......after picking up our visitor pass we plan to get on #39 Coit Tower Motor Coach up to Telegraph Hill and then walk down the Filbert Steps to Levis Plaza which I see maight be across from Pier 27?........and get on the F Street Car at the Embarcadero/Greenwich Station to Castro District............I guess this station will be a zoo across from the cruise ship?

Thanks for any insight;).............Mike

I've seen some mention about the busy stations and the waiting lines for popular locations.......does that occur at all stations?

I'm not sure, but October 13 is Columbus Day, the end of a three-day weekend for some. It is also the last day of Fleet Week (http://www.fleetweek.us/page_schedule_events.html). There will be crowds everywhere along the waterfront.

I'm not sure, but October 13 is Columbus Day, the end of a three-day weekend for some. It is also the last day of Fleet Week (http://www.fleetweek.us/page_schedule_events.html). There will be crowds everywhere along the waterfront.

Thanks for the heads up:eek:.....didn't think of Columbus Day as a holiday:o.....knew about Fleet Week and hope to tour some of the ships on Monday.........again thnx for the reply:)

• 3 weeks later...

we are also on that cruise.... it is a little further than the original pier but not too far, certainly walkable on a very wide sidewalk if you have no issues with walking it should be doable.

One nice thing is you are closer to the ferry building and the wonderful shop/restaurants there. Closer to the Muni station and Market street.

That afternoon the Blue Angels will be doing their thing. The best seats in the bay area will be on the back of the cruise ship. They usually perform mid-afternoon. That time of year is San Francisco's best weather. Because of the air show over the bay the whole Embarcadero is jammed. Almost impossible to get on the trolley that goes in front of the pier because of the huge crowds so be prepared. This will also apply to the cable cars, particularly downtown. If you want to catch it from downtown midafternoon plan on a 2 hour min. wait.

That afternoon the Blue Angels will be doing their thing. The best seats in the bay area will be on the back of the cruise ship. They usually perform mid-afternoon. That time of year is San Francisco's best weather. Because of the air show over the bay the whole Embarcadero is jammed. Almost impossible to get on the trolley that goes in front of the pier because of the huge crowds so be prepared. This will also apply to the cable cars, particularly downtown. If you want to catch it from downtown midafternoon plan on a 2 hour min. wait.

sadly we will miss fleet week but one week :-(

But I can't complain I have been lucky enough to experience it twice while on board a ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,..I think the air shows are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, the 11th and 12th. We are there on Monday the 13th. The fleet week schedule shows, for Monday the 13th,..." Ship tours " and " Band Challenge ". Both were listed as " TBA ".

http://www.fleetweek.us/page_schedule_events.html

We are lucky to have a SF departure time of 11pm. Go out and enjoy... . stay out of trouble,..and remember that food is expensive in SF. You will get a much better deal in the ships Main dinning room,... or the buffet.

The historic street cars, the "F" line, stops right by the ship. As of September 1, it cost $2.25. It goes to Castro St via Market St. .. Or, walk over to Walgreens and get a transit pass for the day, which includes the pricey ( $6 per ride ) cable cars. The Walgreens is at the end of the "F" line in the Wharf area. The pass is also good for the Muni bus system as well as the other street cars, which are underground along Market St. You can hop on and off as you wish.

1 day pass - $15

3 day pass - $23

7 day pass - $29

Look this up for yourself. I could be wrong about this.. .. !!!

travling1........will be on the Crown Princess with you guys for the 7-dayer.......we plan on heading to Walgreen's first thing to get the 1-day Visitor Pass for the transit system........going to take #39 Coit Tower ride first and walk back down the Filbert Steps to the F Streetcar at Pier 27 and back up into town to the cable car back down to the Wharf........what a ride this will be..........and try to visit the Navy ships in port for Fleet Week........wow!

See ya soon on this cruise!

Mike (M&G coord for Oct. 12th gathering)

travling1........will be on the Crown Princess with you guys for the 7-dayer.......we plan on heading to Walgreen's first thing to get the 1-day Visitor Pass for the transit system........going to take #39 Coit Tower ride first and walk back down the Filbert Steps to the F Streetcar at Pier 27 and back up into town to the cable car back down to the Wharf........what a ride this will be..........and try to visit the Navy ships in port for Fleet Week........wow!

See ya soon on this cruise!

Mike (M&G coord for Oct. 12th gathering)

We are on the sailing starting Sept 27, I will be blogging about the voyage if you care to follow along and if you post a question I will try and answer it.

vickie

We are on the sailing starting Sept 27, I will be blogging about the voyage if you care to follow along and if you post a question I will try and answer it.

vickie

Vickie...........have bookmarked your blog site, so will be following your posts on your cruise;)...........think about posting a pic of the Princess Patters also if possible.......that'd be cool:cool:

Thanx

Mike

Vickie...........have bookmarked your blog site, so will be following your posts on your cruise;)...........think about posting a pic of the Princess Patters also if possible.......that'd be cool:cool:

Thanx

Mike

taking a pic of the patter won't be very readable, but I can list activities in the blog if you like

For some real fun,.. . well,. .. . at least it is interesting, take a look at this link of the historic street cars. It shows where they are along the route. I believe the new pier, where our ship is docked, looks a bit like a triangle on the map. You can see it is a bit of a walk to the Walgreens, but, it is easy enough to do for most. And, there are some interesting sights along the way.

Mike, you can even click on the 'select routes' link and check out the #39 bus route. I think I have seen up to 2 #39 buses on that route during the day.

http://www.nextmuni.com/googleMap/googleMap.jsp?a=sf-muni&r=F#

With the exception of the cable cars, you can also check out all the other Muni routes on that map ! See,.....I told you it was fun.

$15... and all day.... can get you all over town. I was here back in the 1900's and did it myself.