New UK, USA & Canada airport security rules

frantic36

I am sure most of you know this but for the few who might not I thought I let you know of some changes.

Grumpy Wombat mentioned last week in his thread that transiting through London and also departing London there is further restrictions with security.

That all electronic devices......ipad, phones & laptops (and maybe e-readers) need to have a charge in them so they can check they can be turned on. My techy sons tell me this is most likely because they could hide bomb components if not able to be turned on. The airlines will not allow you to take them with you if they can't be turned on.

This was also sent to me by my TA yesterday by Emirates.

Dear Agent,

Travellers to the UK, USA and Canada are required to demonstrate that their electronic and battery powered devices switch on at Dubai International airport, including telephones, laptops , tablets and e-books. This means charging your devices before arriving at the airport.

All passengers will still be required to follow instructions for electronic devices for take-off and landing. Please read the below frequently asked questions related to this recently implemented security measure:

Will all baggage be screened for electronic devices? 
Screening only applies to hand and carry-on baggage.

Who will be doing the screening? Where? 
Emirates Group Security will be screening travellers at the boarding gates for flights departing 
to destinations in the UK, US or Canada.

What if I can’t power up my electronic device? 
You will not be allowed to board your flight, unless you choose to leave the device behind. 
These regulations are specified by the authorities of the three countries. There are no facilities 
to keep devices in storage. 

Does this mean that we need more pre-boarding time for flights heading to these countries?
 No. Current pre-boarding times are as normal for Emirates departures.

Emirates is complying with new security requirements from the UK and US Governments, so please ensure that items you bring with you are fully powered before you arrive at the airport.

Full information*on all our Emirates Special Offers, local procedures and latest news can 
be found on our dedicated*agents website.*Thank you for your continued support.*
Emirates 
Level 17, 1 York Street
Sydney.**NSW.* 2000

Maybe just something to be kept in mind for any international plane flights.

Cheers, Julie