Baggage Insurance?

Truffle

Does anyone know where one might purchase extra insurance for baggage? The dollar amount listed in most travel insurance policies would not begin to cover the value of our belongings and we'd like to purchase additional coverage if it is available.

Thanks!

I use American Express Annual Travel Insurance Policy cover on baggage is about $2300 or $3800. I am in Europe and it's £1500 or £2500. I am sure they do this in US!!! I have an annual multi trip policy.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Does anyone know where one might purchase extra insurance for baggage? The dollar amount listed in most travel insurance policies would not begin to cover the value of our belongings and we'd like to purchase additional coverage if it is available.

Thanks!

Contact whomever you got your cruise insurance from. I'm sure that they will gladly increase the baggage coverage for a fee !!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just my opinion but the only stuff in my baggage that is worth insuring is my optics and my electronics. Everything else can be replaced at minimal or moderate cost and is not worth insuring.

DON

I should add that all of that stuff is in my carry on so no insurance on it is necessary. I have been investigating a rider to my homeowners policy that covers specified optics and electronics when I travel.

DON

You might also want to review your regular Homeowners Insurance (or Renters Insurance) since many policies include coverage for lost luggage/clothes.

Hank

This ^

After checking about extra luggage/clothing loss coverage through travel insurance, we checked instead with homeowners insurer.

Surprisingly, the "limit" is the total value of our "home contents" coverage, which is more than enough (to put it mildly).

We have a relatively high deductible, so the travel insurance would probably kick in first.

It was suggested that for any especially expensive clothing, we photograph them (handy iPhone, again!) with labels showing, as we were packing, and then take just a couple of photos showing things in a couple of layers in suitcases.

Depending upon the type of trip, we might take only inexpensive clothing, but for some types of trips, we do take some expensive clothing, so this is really great.

NOTE: We have insurance for "full replacement costs".

Otherwise, "used clothing" isn't valued at much, so keep that in mind.

GeezerCouple