Insurance question

Brinchi

We are sailing on Oasis on 5/16. There are 4 of us. My son just broke his collarbone and they are taking a wait and see approach to see if it is healing well before ruling out surgery. We have not purchased insurance yet but am now considering it I know that his injury may be considered pre-existing and not be covered if we have to cancel. But would think that we could cancel the other 3 if we buy one that covers cancellation for any reason.

Does it work this way? Anyone have recommendations on where to buy? I think it is too late to buy through RCL or AAA.

Thanks for you input.

You'd need to check and have been given good resources, but logically, I doubt you'd be able to purchase it now - otherwise, everyone would just wait to purchase the coverage until they knew they needed to cancel.

For example, I've used Travel Guard for insurance many times (don't cruise without it), and here are their criteria for the "cancel for any reason" coverage, and I suspect other companies would be similar.

There are three criteria that must be met in order to be eligible for Cancel for Any Reason coverage:

1. The CFAR coverage is purchased within 15 days of the initial trip deposit
  2. The trip is cancelled more than 48 hours prior to scheduled departure
  3. The full cost of all non-refundable, prepaid trip arrangements is insured at the time of purchase

We are sailing on Oasis on 5/16. There are 4 of us. My son just broke his collarbone and they are taking a wait and see approach to see if it is healing well before ruling out surgery. We have not purchased insurance yet but am now considering it I know that his injury may be considered pre-existing and not be covered if we have to cancel. But would think that we could cancel the other 3 if we buy one that covers cancellation for any reason.

Does it work this way? Anyone have recommendations on where to buy? I think it is too late to buy through RCL or AAA.

Thanks for you input.

We were in the same situation last year with a broken ankle and an Oasis cruise. Not sure if you found this yet on the cruise line's website but here is the cancellation policy:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqType=faq

Since you are 40 days out, you are already in the 50% penalty. You don't move to 75% penalty until 28 days out so might be worth making a decision by then if possible.

I also wouldn't rule out a discussion with Royal Caribbean about moving everything to a future cruise date. We tried to have them move our money since we were cancelling but after one person saying we could, they ultimately said no and we were able to file with insurance. However, I have seen many posts from people who didn't have insurance who were allowed to move their reservation with no penalty. Not really fair to those, like us, who they refused (not bitter at all:rolleyes::p), but it is definitely worth trying.

I hope your son heals quickly and needs no surgery.:)

learned an interesting tidbit, check with the credit card you used? One that I have, and will only use now for traveling, includes trip insurance as a benefit. But not all do so can't hurt to check

good luck and I too hope no surgery is needed.

We have been getting Royal Caribbean's policy as it will have "cancel for any reason" clause. It's 75% of the non-refundable portion applicable to another cruise. But it might be a problem that you are now within final payment. We always get it with final payment. You might just want to call them and ask.

We have been getting Royal Caribbean's policy as it will have "cancel for any reason" clause. It's 75% of the non-refundable portion applicable to another cruise. But it might be a problem that you are now within final payment. We always get it with final payment. You might just want to call them and ask.

"Royal Caribbean International will not waive their cancellation penalty

and provide a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise

vacation for any of the following reasons:

• a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute or has

symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment,

or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before you

purchased this waiver; mental, nervous or psychological disorders,

or normal pregnancy, unless hospitalized; elective abortion; drugs

or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;"

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCCruiseCare_V3.pdf

My partner and I have a 26-day cruise planned for September 2015. My parents are in their 90's so health is always on my mind. If both my partner and I buy insurance and have to come home for some reason during our cruise, does cruise insurance cover my partner's cruise cost as well as mine? Or, because it's my parents involved and not my partner's, will insurance only cover my cruise?