What to do in Bay of Islands???

messengerc21

We got the Ferry over to Russell and spent the day wandering around. It's a cute little seaside town with nice shops and restaurants. There was also a local market on where the tender bus drops you off.

We talked with people who did sailing tours and they loved them, it doesn't matter if the water isn't warm, you aren't swimming, it's for seeing the scenery. There a heaps of dolphins in the bay that usually come and swim nearby.

Hi, We are on a Cruise and stopping at the Bay of Islands next January (2016) and don't see much to do.....Thought about a Sail Cruise, but the water is not that warm. Any Suggestions???? Thanks, Mark

I was bought up in the Bay of Islands. Its a very beautiful part of NZ.

I would throughly recommend you looking at either....

the Hole in the Rock - Cape Brett trip, Can be reached on the Fullers boats, and also there is an ultra fast service, You will often see Dolphins and sea life, its a lovely way to see the bay and if you do the morning trip, the boat you are on will pass through the hole.

or A visit to Russell as previously mentioned. The ship will more than likely tender to Waitangi and you can walk into Paihia, or a few minutes up the hill and you will be at Waitangi, which is where the Treaty Grounds are if you are interested in history.

Have a great trip. If I can help any further, just ask.

regards Roscoe

I was bought up in the Bay of Islands. Its a very beautiful part of NZ.

I would throughly recommend you looking at either....

the Hole in the Rock - Cape Brett trip, Can be reached on the Fullers boats, and also there is an ultra fast service, You will often see Dolphins and sea life, its a lovely way to see the bay and if you do the morning trip, the boat you are on will pass through the hole.

or A visit to Russell as previously mentioned. The ship will more than likely tender to Waitangi and you can walk into Paihia, or a few minutes up the hill and you will be at Waitangi, which is where the Treaty Grounds are if you are interested in history.

Have a great trip. If I can help any further, just ask.

regards Roscoe

We spent most or all of a day on each of the three places/activities boldfaced above during a land visit in late 2013, and found all three of them well worth doing. We would have been happy to stay in the area for another 2 or 3 days (and we had already been there for 2 days some 20 years previously). The problem for a single-day port call would not be finding something interesting to do; rather, it would be choosing what to do of the many possibilities.

John

Edited by J-D

We were there last month, the end of February, and spent a fantastic day sailing with the owners Robin & Rick of Phantom Sailing. We took the ferry over to Russell and it could not have been easier.

The sailboat is a 1972 ocean racing sloop that holds ten passenger comfortably. It was the perfect ending to our wonderful trip to Australia and New Zealand. It was very relaxing and the weather, scenery and crystal clear water was wonderful, as were Robin & Rick.

The first island we approached for lunch had a few boats so we went to another island where we had it to ourselves for most of the time we were there. We were given the option of staying onboard while Robin prepared a delicious home made lunch for us, swimming in to the beach or going ashore via dingy. People did all three and the water was warm enough to swim. After lunch the winds picked up and we had a glorious afternoon sail.

As I look out my window at a snow covered landscape, I am yearning to go back, it was so beautiful! I highly recommend Phantom Sailing.

You may like to visit the Waitangi Treaty House and Grounds.

http://www.waitangi.org.nz/treaty-grounds/

There is a lovely walking track which continues on past the Grounds, along the Coast, past a Golf Course.

If ships tender to this area, it is all within walking distance.

http://www.paihia.co.nz/Walk_Paihia2Waitangi.cfm

Edited by MMDown Under

• 2 weeks later...
It is offered via the cruise ship - so I think we'd be okay. I'm just wondering how physically challenging it is?

Thanks!

Karen

Going down is easy!!!!!

Going up however........

You will love it great views also