Headed back to Belize AGAIN

mitsugirly

So we have done the cavetubing (and loved it) and we went to Bannister Island last month.

Now we are looking for something different to do.

I had considered Goffs last time around (and ended up chosing to go to Bannister) and now I'm wondering if I should go to Goffs. Who does everyone use to get there? How much does it cost and what all is included?

I remember discussing this a little here and there on the boards, but it's been awhile ago and with the "search" function not working these days, I can't find the links.

Any other places we should consider going? We love the beach and the water (and snorkeling is an added plus). I have seen people mentioning Caye Caulker on here. What is there? Any pictures and info?

Thanks so much in advance. :)

We'd suggest that you look up the site for Coral Breeze Tours & then their snorkel trip with two stops & then a local lunch on Caye Caulker, followed by the boat ride back to the Tourist Village. We have used these people for the last ten years & have always had a great time with Heni & her crew.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

We'd suggest that you look up the site for Coral Breeze Tours & then their snorkel trip with two stops & then a local lunch on Caye Caulker, followed by the boat ride back to the Tourist Village. We have used these people for the last ten years & have always had a great time with Heni & her crew.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

Is that the one that I have seen complaints about a lot lately because they will book with them and then the company will email back and say the tour is cancelled because there wasn't enough people?

Also, we don't want a snorkeling "tour" out in the water. We will have our 4 year old with us and although she does snorkel with us, our 4 year old grandson will be with us too and does not snorkel and can't swim. So when we go to someplace, we will need to go somewhere that they have snorkeling from the shore or just the beach/swimming. Do they do any tours just to Caye Caulker?

Also, what is there to do at Caye Caulker? I don't recall ever seeing any reviews or pictures of it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used Sea Sports Belize; they took us to Goff's Caye and we snorkeled the barrier reef from the caye; not from the boat. It included lunch. We snorkeled, ate lunch and snorkeled again.

We had a small group; 8 for the first snorkel and 4 of us went out on the second snorkel. Our snorkel guide did not make us wear vest and each snorkel was at least an hour; we enjoyed this snorkel trip.

We were just there in April and used Coral Breeze to Caulkner. They used to be good , but everything has changed since they do not use hammerhead boat crew. I will never use them or recommend them again. They crammed us in a small boat for the 1 hour 20 minute ride to Caulkner, and we were soaked with spray the whole trip. What a joke! They used to use a boat the size of the water taxis, but no more.I would highly urge you NOT to use them...Caulkner is nothing great either after seeing it. Something like Goff's would be closer and much better...Some who post here may disagree about Coral Breeze, but they would change their tune quickly once they see how they have changed..We are going back to Belize next March and we will probably just tender to port and have a beer or two..

You are welcome. I used to have a fear of the water taxi, but after being in Belize twice, I don't think it would be a big deal , as they run regular schedules..You just have to go outside the gate through the terminal and go to your left for just a bit, and then make a left , and walk straight down to the water taxi terminal. I talked to some locals there who use it all the time. And no one bothered us outside the gate as some have suggested.

Thanks for the heads up. We were booked on them for the 21st but I just cancelled. Will either take the water taxi or just stay at the port area.

Mitsugirly, we did Goff's Caye this past March through Princess. We usually book our own excursions, but we wanted to simplify things this time in Belize, and I had read some negative reviews about Island Marketing. The boat picked us up and dropped us off from the ship, so it saved the time and trouble of tendering back and forth to the port.

Snorkeling was great, but there was a current (probably about the same as you must have experienced in Cozumel)

Will be visiting with our family of 11 in June and cant decide which one would be better for us. Some of us like water and some like shopping. I think on San Pedro you can rent a golf cart that would be fun to get around town. Any replies would be great.

Thanks

I dislike snorkeling from the beach because I am not a strong swimmer and returning to shore is tiring. Snorkeling from a boat is much easier for me. Is Goff' Caye or Caulkner boat snorkling?

Mary Lou

With the cruise line's excursion to Goff's Caye we were given the choice of snorkeling by boat (they said this was for experienced snorkelers, but many had never snorkeled before), and snorkeling from shore. Each group had a guide. The snorkel by boat also had someone in a kayak who stayed with the group.

Would like to know if anyone has done the water taxi to caye caulker on there own? Not sure if I should go thru a company.

Thanks for your replys

We plan to take the water taxi on our own to caye caulker during our Thanksgiving cruise later this year.

I also hope to hear from others who have done it; one piece of info I learned is to NOT buy the round-trip tickets(a small discount) since there are 2 different companies and you may want the flexibility to return by either Water Taxi.

Our ship Glory is in Belize in November 8am-5pm(which is 7am-4pm local) & plan to catch the 8AM(local time); we do have priority in tendering process; not sure I would attempt it otherwise, because in prior trips it took us more than 90 min to come ashore.

I'm looking for an excursion that will allow the best possible experience of the living coral reef (colorful coral, different types) and also lots of colorful fish.

I am NOT particularly interested in doing Shark Ray Alley. The nurse sharks and sting rays all swarming over the tourists really doesn't appeal to me. I'm more interested in an actual reef and schools of lots of different fish.

As such, I think I am not so interested in the Coral Breeze trip or any trip that does Shark Ray Alley.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best trip to see the reef that doesn't involve Shark-Ray Alley?

I assume it would be a snorkel by boat trip since beach snorkling usually isn't as good.

We plan to take the water taxi on our own to caye caulker during our Thanksgiving cruise later this year.

I also hope to hear from others who have done it; one piece of info I learned is to NOT buy the round-trip tickets(a small discount) since there are 2 different companies and you may want the flexibility to return by either Water Taxi.

Our ship Glory is in Belize in November 8am-5pm(which is 7am-4pm local) & plan to catch the 8AM(local time); we do have priority in tendering process; not sure I would attempt it otherwise, because in prior trips it took us more than 90 min to come ashore.

Thank you for the reply. Our ship will be the only one at Belize this day I hope all the available tenders are working that day as we dont have priority. our ship also arrives at 8am and I hope we can catch the the 8am and if not that one the 9am.Great idea about the ticket thing.

Will be visiting with our family of 11 in June and cant decide which one would be better for us. Some of us like water and some like shopping. I think on San Pedro you can rent a golf cart that would be fun to get around town. Any replies would be great.

Thanks

Both locations have golf carts. Caye Caulker is very low key.

I dislike snorkeling from the beach because I am not a strong swimmer and returning to shore is tiring. Snorkeling from a boat is much easier for me. Is Goff' Caye or Caulkner boat snorkling?

Mary Lou

Caye Caulker is snorkling from the boat. Really great! I believe you can snorkel off of the beach and by boat at Goff's.

Would like to know if anyone has done the water taxi to caye caulker on there own? Not sure if I should go thru a company.

Thanks for your replys

I stayed on Caye Caulker for a week and we took the water taxi over there. Really enjoyed it. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back because boats do break down.

I have never been to San Pedro but I did spend time in Caye Caulker. The people are very friendly and they have shops set up on the Caye. There are golf carts and there are also snorkeling and other excursions. There are several restaurants with decent food and there is also a great place to have a beer at the Split. It is very easy to get around and it is a cool place to explore.

We just went to Caulkner by Coral Breeze( never again with them). After wanting to go there several years, in my opinion, it was not a big deal, and it is a long ride. I guess in a decent size boat it would be ok. I think if you really want to see Caulkner, it is best not to combine with a snorkel tour, as you do not have time. If I go next year I will take a water taxi on my own.

Craig did you happen to go to one of these? Did you take thee water taxi?

Archived