Can I help with any Malaga info?

campolady

First of all, thank you so much for the fantastic service you've been providing for so long. Info on Malaga and environs is scarce in most guidebooks. (Sorry, Rick Steves, you've let us down here.) I hope the Malaga Tourism Board knows what you've done for their city!

Our upcoming cruise will have 2 stops in Malaga (yeah!). The first stop we'll spend DIYing your wonderful city, using the great tips you've given for getting around on our own. Can't wait for the tapas!

The second stop there's a possibility of an independent small group tour to Ronda. It's one place we've had to miss on other trips to Spain and it looks spectacular in photos. (Fortunately we've seen Granada and Cordoba in depth already.)

Logistically, is that a practical distance for a day tour on a Monday in November? The ship is in port from 8AM to 6PM, and the tour would be from 9AM to 5PM. It would be in a 15-passenger van. There's a stop in Setenil de las Bodegas, then on to Ronda for sightseeing. Are the roads and traffic often an issue? To you, who really knows the area, does this sound like an enjoyable, unhurried day?

TIA for your advice.

Kathy

knippsel

Thank you for your very kind comments.

Ronda is a lovely place to visit and, in November, the roads will not be busy. The journey from Malaga will take around 1.5 hours each way and, even allowing for your stop at Sentenil de las Bodegas, you should still have a good four hours in Ronda which is plenty of time to see everything. Just one word of warning, the last bit of road up to Ronda is very winding with sheer drops so not great for the feinthearted lol; but the views, weather permitting, are spectacular! In November the weather around Ronda can be a bit 'iffy' so I would take a waterproof/windproof jacket just in case.

Campolady:

We will be in Malaga on 9/8 arriving 8:00 a.m. What times does the Castillo de Gibralfaro open? What time can we catch the bus from the port to go to the Castle? How often does the bus run? Also, I've seen reference to both Bus 34 and Bus 35? Is there a difference where you catch the buses? Thanks for you help.

The bus you want is the number 35; I accidentally put 34 in my original post then corrected this further down the thread. The stop nearest to the port is at the Parque del Mar which is the third stop on the route - there are numerous bus stands there so just look for the one marked 35. The fare is 1.30 Euro per person (this is the set fare for all routes within Malaga city). These are the times that the bus leaves its first stop so add around 5-7 minutes for it to get to the Parque:-

At busy times buses can run a few minutes behind schedule but the constantly updated arrival board at the bus stop will tell you exactly how long you have to wait.

Gibralfaro Castle opens at 09.00 Here are details http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/gibralfaro.htm

Edited by campolady

Thank you for your reply. Another question. How do we get to the motor car museum from downtown? Also, is the Russian museum worth visiting?

For the Motor Museum go to the main Malaga thoroughfare, the Alameda Principal, then take bus 16 that stops at the Tabacalera building the home of the museum; if I am reading the bus website correctly http://www.emtmalaga.es/emt-classic/home.html the bus stop number on the Alameda is 1605 and the Tabacalera stop is number 1530 on Avenida Sor Teresa Prat. Buses are frequent and reliable - the current fare is 1.30 Euros per person. You can also get there on the Green Line HOHO bus.

Sorry - I don't know anything about the Russian Museum.

Sorry - I don't know anything about the Russian Museum.

I have just done some research and found that the Russian Museum is also in the La Tabacalera complex and looks fascinating so may well be worth combining this will a trip to the Motor Museum. It is definitely somewhere I am going to explore on my next trip into Malaga and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. http://www.spain-holiday.com/Malaga-city/articles/the-russian-art-museum-in-malaga

Edited by campolady

Campolady,

My husband and I will be taking our first trip outside of the US and we will be in Malaga on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 from 7a-6p. We just wanted to thank you so much for all of your responses and information. It is much appreciated! We will need to carefully go through all of your previous answers and write down all of your suggestions. If we have any questions, we will let you know. We just really wanted to say thank you!!!! almostpacked

Campolady,

My husband and I will be taking our first trip outside of the US and we will be in Malaga on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 from 7a-6p. We just wanted to thank you so much for all of your responses and information. It is much appreciated! We will need to carefully go through all of your previous answers and write down all of your suggestions. If we have any questions, we will let you know. We just really wanted to say thank you!!!! almostpacked

Thank you so much for your comments! You will find far more information on my other thread that, in many ways, is more up to date than this one http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2268599&page=11

Have a wonderful day in Malaga.

Campolady: One more question. How far is the walk from the cruise port to catch the busses? Is it walkable or do you need to take the shuttle?

For the HOHO buses it is a 1.5km walk taking 15-20 minutes. For the main service buses (for the Castle etc.) it is a further 5 minutes walk to the Parque del Mar stops on the Alameda Principal - I would take the shuttle.

Edited by campolady

Campolady....Malaga has become our favorite city in Europe. You have been so helpful in the past, so I would like to impose upon you again.

We will be staying at the AC by Marriott. You have suggested the Express bus A to the Paseo de Parque which we want to do. My question is...would you mind "taking us by the hand" and giving a step by step to make this possible.

Thank you so much for the help you so freely share.

Doug

Campolady....Malaga has become our favorite city in Europe. You have been so helpful in the past, so I would like to impose upon you again.

We will be staying at the AC by Marriott. You have suggested the Express bus A to the Paseo de Parque which we want to do. My question is...would you mind "taking us by the hand" and giving a step by step to make this possible.

Thank you so much for the help you so freely share.

Doug

Hi Doug - hope this helps.

As you come through customs and enter into the 'Arrivals' hall you will see signs for both buses and trains. Follow these and just after you get into the open air you will see the bus stand - midway between the terminal building and the train station just a 2 minutes walk.

The bus you want is Line A Express Malaga Airport-Malaga City Bus - runs approx. every 20 minutes from 7 a.m. to Midnight. Pay the driver - fare is, as far as I am aware, still €3 per person; drivers will not accept anything larger than a 20€ note and some are reluctant to take more than a 10€ note. The route has 10 stops and you want the penultimate one 'Paseo del Parque (Plaza de la Marina) - stops are shown on an overhead display. Get off the bus, cross the road and you will see your hotel on the corner. Very easy journey.

Not sure if you can pre-book tickets but all this info will be on http://www.emtmalaga.es

Campolady

Thank you so much....we have used your excellent advice in Barcelona, Malaga, and Mallorca. I do not know if the Bureau of Tourism knows how valuable you are to them. Thank you once again.

Doug

• 4 months later...
To be honest, Malaga is so pedestrian friendly a taxi really isn' t necessary.

A taxi won' t get you right into the old city centre which is a shame as you will miss all the lovely little narrow streets and alleyways which have surprises round each corner and house most of the best Tapas Bars. You will also have to walk to the best museums such as the Picasso Museum which should not be missed.

However your cab can take you up the hill to Gibralfaro Castle - although you can do this by bus (no. 35) for little over 1 Euro per person; remember to take such form of ID if you are Seniors as you get a reduced entrance fee. It will also be able to drop you at the wonderful Cathedral from where you can enter the old centre on foot - go down Calle Granada; don't forget that services take place throughout Sundays when admission to the Cathedral is limited so make sure your cab driver times your arrival appropriately. If you cannot get to the Tapas bars in the old city ask your driver to drop you at Antigua Casa La Guardia on the main street (Alameda Principal) or at El Jardin behind the Cathedral; alternatively ask him to take you to one of the Chiringuitos (beachfront bar/restaurants) - Picassos is very good. He should be able to get you to the Alcazaba (Citadel) and, maybe, the Roman Amphitheatre dig below.

Sadly most of the shops, and the fascinating indoor market, will be closed on a Sunday; some small shops may be open and all the bars, restaurants and Patisseries will be buzzing.

Just one thought - there are ' Rickshaw' cabs available in the old city - generally pulled by local students who are very knowledgable about the city and who can get you into areas inaccessible by car.

Let me know if this is the kind of information you need or please feel free to ask any firther questions.

For the rickshaw cabs, can you please tell me the approximate cost of using such a service?

For the rickshaw cabs, can you please tell me the approximate cost of using such a service?

This is a registered company offering rickshaw rides. Beware, if you hire an unregistered rickshaw you will probably not be covered by accident insurance.

TRIXI TOUR, MALAGA

Sit back, relax and enjoy a fun and ecological tour with a Trixi – a sort of rickshaw on wheels! The drivers will show you the must see places but also other typical spots of Malaga. 2 adults and a small child can fit in and tours are €10 for 30 mins, €18 for 60 mins and €25 for 90 mins. Prices are for the tour NOT per person. They speak most languages including English.

TEL: (0034) 650 677 063

EMAIL: info@bike2malaga.com

Edited by campolady

This is a registered company offering rickshaw rides. Beware, if you hire an unregistered rickshaw you will probably not be covered by accident insurance.

TRIXI TOUR, MALAGA

Sit back, relax and enjoy a fun and ecological tour with a Trixi – a sort of rickshaw on wheels! The drivers will show you the must see places but also other typical spots of Malaga. 2 adults and a small child can fit in and tours are €10 for 30 mins, €18 for 60 mins and €25 for 90 mins. Prices are for the tour NOT per person. They speak most languages including English.

TEL: (0034) 650 677 063

EMAIL: info@bike2malaga.com

Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...
Campolady, thank you for all the good info, we will be in Malaga this coming May. I used a small mobility scooter to get around, we gave never been to Malaga, any ideas on what we may be able to do?

All public buildings in Malaga are legally required to have disabled access BUT this is usually wheelchair rather than mobility scooter based.

You will be fine travelling around the old city centre e.g. Parque del Mar, Plaza de la Constitucion + Calle Larios, and along the seafront, but may find few 'attractions' that allow you to enter with your scooter.

Sorry that I currently cannot be of more help; I will do a bit of research for you and, if I find any further information, will post it later.

Edited by campolady

Thank you so much for your comments! You will find far more information on my other thread that, in many ways, is more up to date than this one http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2268599&page=11

Have a wonderful day in Malaga.

Hello Campolady,

Just found this thread and was wondering if you have threads on any of the other Spain ports. We will be sailing a Western Mediterranean itinerary on Freedom of the Seas in September 2017 from Barcelona and have never been to Europe. We also stop in Palma de Mallorca. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jean

Hello Campolady,

Just found this thread and was wondering if you have threads on any of the other Spain ports. We will be sailing a Western Mediterranean itinerary on Freedom of the Seas in September 2017 from Barcelona and have never been to Europe. We also stop in Palma de Mallorca. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jean

I don't have threads on other ports - we live close to Malaga hence this thread, However, if you post again on this forum under a Barcelona heading there is an excellent Catalan member - EnricM - who lives there and can answer any questions you have.

We used to live in Mallorca and know Palma de Mallorca well so I could help there but again, if you post separately, there is a member - Roger??? - who still lives on the island and is very knowlegable.

One thing I would stress for you as a first time visitor to Europe is to totally forget your US tipping practices!!! Here we just round restaurant bills/taxi fares up to the nearest Euro (many people don't give anything at all) or, if service has been very good, give a maximum of 5%. Giving more than this will noit get you any better service.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

Campolady, thank you for all the good info, we will be in Malaga this coming May. I used a small mobility scooter to get around, we gave never been to Malaga, any ideas on what we may be able to do?

Further to my earlier reply, sadly I have not found any inside attractions that allow mobility scooter access. Hope the earlier suggestions I gave may be of some help.

• 2 weeks later...
I am travelling with a friend who prefers taxi's to buses and am wondering if we would be able to get a taxi to take us to Gibralfaro Castle or is the HO Ho or 35 bus our only real choice?

Plenty of taxis right outside the cruise terminal - fare up to the castle would be around 12 Euros. Either ask the driver to return to pick you up or walk down the hill for a couple of minutes to the Parador Hotel that has stunning views over the city providing a great place for a drink and where there are generally taxis waiting (if there are no taxis there the hotel will call one for you as long as you have had a drink).

• 2 weeks later...
You are in luck, December is the one month of the year when everything - including shops and tourist attractions - is open on Sundays in the run up to Christmas and Three Kings. Normal hours apply. Hopefully the Christmas lights will have been switched on by the time you are in port - Malagas festive lights are famous throughout Spain; once they have been officially switched on they are lit around 5.30 p.m. each day so you would just have time to see the best of them in the Avenida Larios area before having to be back on board your cruise ship.

We love the Picasso Museum (and the little Tapas Bar immediately facing its main entrance LOL!) so it is somewhere we visit very regularly. To be honest, I have never heard of free entry after 2.30 on a Sunday but do know it is free all day on the last Sunday of every month. I will try to find out about other Sundays for you. This link will give you a little information http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/picassomuseum.htm

Hope this helps.

Hi there, I really appreciate all that you have written about Malaga.

We arrive on Sunday, May 7th and I understand that a lot of things will be closed. We really just want to see Malaga on our own, no tours. Our ship is in port from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. I would loved of seen a Flamenco demonstration but I don't think this will be possible. We plan on going to the Picasso Museum and the Castle, try some tapa restaurants and hit the beach. Any other suggestions or in what order we should do this? Transportation suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thank you kindly!