NCL emergency contact for families on shore

kruzin'

Here is a link to the NCL FAQ section about this matter

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#intouch

it says:

What if I need to stay in touch while away?

All of our ships have computer terminals you can rent by the hour at the Internet Café. You can also telephone, telex, radiogram or fax to anywhere in the world and be billed* at applicable ship-to-shore rates.

NCL guests can also be contacted on our ships by calling 1.888.NCSHIPS (1.888.627.4477) from the USA. For the rest of the world please dial 1.732.335.3280. When guests are contacted with the ship via satellite, they can be reached directly, if they are in their stateroom. If not, a message about the incoming call will be delivered to their stateroom and then they can call back* the shore via satellite.

NCL Ship Telephone & Fax Numbers

When calling from the United States:

Dial 1.888.NC SHIPS (627.4477), select the ship, and enter your credit card information.

When Calling from outside the United States:

Dial 1.732.335.3280, select the ship, and enter your credit card information.

Edited by bakerintn

• 7 years later...

Sorry for bumping such an old thread. I need to verify this is still the correct procedure for emergency contact on our upcoming b2b Escape cruises. I need to give my folks a way to contact me if an emergency should arise.

I just read thru my edocs. I saw no mention of the emergency contact. Tried google, too. ;)

Thank you muchly!

Sorry for bumping such an old thread. I need to verify this is still the correct procedure for emergency contact on our upcoming b2b Escape cruises. I need to give my folks a way to contact me if an emergency should arise.

I just read thru my edocs. I saw no mention of the emergency contact. Tried google, too. ;)

Thank you muchly!

Current/updated information is in the Frequently Asked Questions on the NCL site.

Current/updated information is in the Frequently Asked Questions on the NCL site.

When guests are contacted with the ship via satellite, they can be reached directly, if they are in their stateroom. If not, a message about the incoming call will be delivered to their stateroom and then they can call back* the shore via satellite. Norwegian guests can also make and receive calls, send and receive text messages and read emails on their own cell phones and mobile devices just as they do on land when the ship is at sea with the Freestyle Cellular Service. Staying in touch with family and friends when cruising has never been so easy. Click here for more information.

Norwegian Ship Telephone & Fax Numbers

When calling from the United States: Dial 1.888.NC SHIPS (627.4477), select the ship, and enter your credit card information. When Calling from outside the United States: Dial 1.732.335.3280, select the ship, and enter your credit card information.

*Please use American Express, MasterCard and Discover Card, only.

Depending on your home/cellular carrier plan - the easy way/additional alternative is to maintain direct contact via texting (SMS), in addition for folks at home to call in case of true emergencies, as rates aren't cheap for satellite-relayed maritime calls from land towers to ship. Just make sure you know how to configure your device to allow voice call & texting, but not use cellular roaming data on the ship & in "foreign" ports as those are $$ costly.

Escape has iConcierge with VoIP (WiFi) outbound calling while connected to the ship's inTRAnet - rates are relatively reasonable, last reported at 79 cents a minute charged to stateroom's OnBoard Account.

Of course, there are other VoIP options while ashore in "foreign" ports as long as there's access to WiFi data (Skype, Facetime & Hangouts/Google Voice, etc.) in addition to international calling package tailored for cruise ships, depending on OP's postpaid cellular provider & contract plan(s).

Thanks all.

I looked through the FAQs and somehow missed it. Hmmm....

I wonder why no Visa for the calls. That's interesting. I guess I'll make sure Mom has a MC.

Mom only has a simple flip phone. She can access her email & bank accounts but really doesn't have the technical wherewithal to do much else. So all the other avenues of communication won't be much use. I plan to call every few days. I marked her calendar for our St. Thomas days & turnaround day so she knows the days we can pick up her calls. It's just tough being out of contact for the first time since my brother passed away. I'm who is left for them. I want them to know I'm never *really* out of reach so they'll have that peace of mind.

Thank you for the kindness.