Qantas Carry On Luggage Question

RMLLEL

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this. I need to buy a carryon bag and someone suggested a rolling duffel. Does anyone know if a rolling duffel bag 20"x12"x12" or 18.7"x13.2"x10.6" will fit in the overhead compartment? I know we are allowed 45" and 15 pounds on our flights but I wasn't sure how to break down the bag size and I don't want to have to check this small bag.

The aircraft we are flying are:

AA 757

Qantas 747, 738

Jet Connect 73H

Thanks.

Keep an eye on weight. Qantas do have a weight limit for carry-on baggage, and while I rarely see them enforce it, I have seen it before. If you have a backpack or something, that's no issue, but when you start getting to the larger bags, they may become interested in its weight.

Will any bag that equals the 45" fit into the overhead compartment? I am going to keep it at the 15 pounds or less.

Thanks.

From their website:

All International First/Business/Premium Economy:

• 2 x 115cm (45in) bags or
  • 1 x 115cm (45in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag

Economy:

• 1 x 115cm (45in) bag or
  • 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag

Qantas does weigh carry on luggage and counts the number of pieces you have. Most especially in economy.

They absolutely will not allow you to carry on a heavy bag with the expectation of putting it in an overhead pin.

Also take no food products into Australia as they use sniffer dogs (mostly beagles) to make sure you don't and fines are high. Very high!

When you arrive in Australia, there will be a really good Duty Free shop not far from where you get off the plane. Don't pass it up. You will have good shopping.

Purchased a new Luggage scale today--shocked that my older-and -well travelled 21" carry-on weighed a little over 7 lbs! Checked it on the people scale--still the same.... UGH! Glad I have a 17" one that is much lighter for a pesky SAS within Europe flight with a 8 kg limit.

We flew Qantas from LAX to Sydney and they put a scale right outside the entrance and randomly weighed some luggage. I knew the dimensions were OK for my carry on bag and it would fit in the overhead but I made sure it weighed within 15-17 lbs. I carried my jacket with me too make sure it was not overweight and then stuffed it in the overhead and there was plenty of space available because it was the A380 which is their biggest aircraft.

Thanks everyone. We purchased 2 rolling duffel bags today from North Face that weigh 5 pounds each, to carry on, and a luggage scale to make sure we don't "overload". I think that might do the trick for us. I am really going to try and not pack everything in my closet on this trip!!!

Archived