Delicate Subject

We were in Oxford last week. Nobody was allowed upstairs where the w/c located unless you showed receipt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunate. Have come across that a lot in tourist areas of UK. Customers only. It does cost a fair bit to clean and maintain toilets. Of course in Europe you also have the 'dragon ladies' guarding the toilets demanding a coin or three for usage of the facility, Fair enough, thousands pass though some of those tourist areas every day.:halo:

Or "khazi", originally a Cockney (not rhyming slang) word, now more common in Liverpool, I understand. But perhaps more often used to describe somewhere as unpleasant ([placename] is a right hkazi), than it's original use a a word for toilet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What happened to "the dunny"?

JB :)

Yes, the 'Dunny' is still used by some in the Colonies, mainly the older generation, us !! lol.:halo:

No one said the 'John' as used by our North American friends.

Department stores have the cleanest and best in my experience. One problem though is that they do not have many signs to show you where they are.

Anywhere that has a sit down restaurant will have toilets.

Department stores have the cleanest and best in my experience. One problem though is that they do not have many signs to show you where they are.

Anywhere that has a sit down restaurant will have toilets.

But many of the 'sit down' restaurants will not wear non customers using their facilities.

That is my experience anyway, not just in UK, but world wide.

But many of the 'sit down' restaurants will not wear non customers using their facilities.

That is my experience anyway, not just in UK, but world wide.

You could always say you want to book a table for next week etc then use their toilet.

You could cancel later or even go next week if the restaurant was nice.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

McDonalds in Amsterdam make you pay, even if you buy something and show the receipt :mad:

Thats incredible when do they let people use the toilets?.

In the UK i am a sales manager and pop into a McDonald's daily while out on the road to use the toilet and no body says anything if you don't buy anything.

Thats incredible when do they let people use the toilets?.

In the UK i am a sales manager and pop into a McDonald's daily while out on the road to use the toilet and no body says anything if you don't buy anything.

That's true, except in the tourist areas of London, where many of our American friends would like to visit.

There many require you to buy a meal before you can use the facilities.

Good responses on here. By the way on my visits to UK I have used many toilet facilities at the Motorway/A Road 'Services.' Giant places are they not, compared to Australia. I/We generally purchase something at the services, coffee, lunch etc. I know pricey, but convenient. The cafes and toilets are real busy. But kept reasonably clean, given the high number of visitors. There is nearly always a cleaner hovering around, but no charge. I always make a point of telling the toilet cleaners on the ships or at roadside service stops...'You are doing a great job, thank you.' Many seem shocked at my words.:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4019380/Axed-50p-fee-spend-penny-stations-Network-Rail-ditches-toilet-charge-raking-37-5million-UK-stations.html

Many larger train stations have now made their toilets free.

Indeed the free toilets at Fenchurch Street last week saved me when I arrived an hour early for a meeting!

This is for major "Network Rail" stations and doesn't include underground stations.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums

Museums are free and all have restrooms. And will probably be on the HOHO bus route too

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

In Spanish speaking countries including South American ones, one needs to be careful...some call them 'Servicios' some call them 'Bano.' I spend some time in Lima, Peru as my son lived there, they are 'Bano' people.:')

I like the German one..'Toiletten.' Wunderbar !!!

In Spanish speaking countries including South American ones, one needs to be careful...some call them 'Servicios' some call them 'Bano.' I spend some time in Lima, Peru as my son lived there, they are 'Bano' people.:')

I like the German one..'Toiletten.' Wunderbar !!!

Thought it was Pwethay tenair 'el lavabor'.por favor.

Mind did get a funny look when i asked.

I well remember the first time I took my wife to Paris. She needed to go, so we went into a large store. She was a bit shocked to find that she had to collect some paper from the old lady attendant and walk behind a row of men using the urinal to get to a WC. I was a bit shocked when, having dropped what I thought was a reasonable number of Francs onto the old lady's bowl, I got a glare to encourage me to add some more.

As we left, she muttered "mauvais Anglais" so I guessed that this was a common occurrence.

I well remember the first time I took my wife to Paris. She needed to go, so we went into a large store. She was a bit shocked to find that she had to collect some paper from the old lady attendant and walk behind a row of men using the urinal to get to a WC. I was a bit shocked when, having dropped what I thought was a reasonable number of Francs onto the old lady's bowl, I got a glare to encourage me to add some more.

As we left, she muttered "mauvais Anglais" so I guessed that this was a common occurrence.

I remember some other third world countries where that is the case with the toilets as well.

Indeed many a female world traveller has to make a foray into the unisex toilets, passing the urinals for the first time ever in their life, my wife for one. It amuses me when I am at the urinals overseas and there is a female cleaner right there, they do not blink, seen it all before. On the ships I note the female cleaners do leave the mens toilet area when they are being utilised.

What a dastardly topic this has become, but quite technical and certainly educational for us travellers.:halo::p

Just in London and there were several times when it was difficult to find one. The train and coach (bus) stations we visited still required a small fee. The only exception (Victoria Station) I think, the restroom was out of order. This was also the case at one of the shopping malls.

Be sure to use the restroom before leaving any museum or attraction. As said above, department stores and hotels were good bets.