Rough Seas from Sydney to New Zealand in Nov?

We're considering taking a Princess cruise that leaves from Sydney and cruises throughout New Zealand this Nov. A friend told us they had such rough seas when they went that they were unable to visit the ports. Has anyone had a similar experience? Or has anyone taken this cruise and had smooth sailing? Thank you!

Hi

We are booked on a Sea Princess cruise for November also to NZ. Last year we were on the Diamond Princess, in January. The crossing that time was supurb, and we came from Tasmania across, that time. Chatting to others who were one day behind us in Auckland, on another cruise, Sun Princess I think, and they had a rough crossing. So, that is just what the Tasman is like....unpredictable, luck of the draw. The section from Milford Sound around the bottom to Dunedin is usually choppy, but bearable.

So, my advice is, forget about the crossing of the Tasman, as you just cannot predict it, BUT the sights and scenery in NZ are worth it. Such a beautiful country. I read sometime ago that there is a bit of every country in the world scenery-wise, in NZ.

Take the plunge (so to speak), and come.....you won't regret it.

Jen

Hi

We are booked on a Sea Princess cruise for November also to NZ. Last year we were on the Diamond Princess, in January. The crossing that time was supurb, and we came from Tasmania across, that time. Chatting to others who were one day behind us in Auckland, on another cruise, Sun Princess I think, and they had a rough crossing. So, that is just what the Tasman is like....unpredictable, luck of the draw. The section from Milford Sound around the bottom to Dunedin is usually choppy, but bearable.

So, my advice is, forget about the crossing of the Tasman, as you just cannot predict it, BUT the sights and scenery in NZ are worth it. Such a beautiful country. I read sometime ago that there is a bit of every country in the world scenery-wise, in NZ.

Jen

Such nice comments about NZ, Jen that I now feel bad about my posting of what you would buy if you won lotto!! (well not really)

As others have said, the sea conditions crossing the Tasman are the luck of the draw. It has been estimated that around one-quarter of cruises cannot enter the fiords in the south-west of the South Island because of rough weather. I think you stand the same chances in November as you would at any time in the next few months. I wouldn't like to try it in winter. :) You are unlikely to miss other ports in NZ because of bad weather.

You can see what the seas are doing in that area on this website -- http://www.globalsurfers.com/wave-forecast-australia.cfm - and they forecast around 7 days ahead. This does not help you with what may happen in November though.

You can see from this that over the next week or so, seas around NZ are quite calm - except in the south western corner, where significant wave heights will be around 15 feet for a few days. Everything depends upon whether you happen to be exactly there sometime during those few days.

We happened to be in exactly the wrong place at exactly the wrong time in the Atlantic this year in January (winter) - 14 metre(50 feet) waves coming directly at us in P&O Arcadia - a big ship but she had to slow right down to 10 knots. We missed a mid-Atlantic port and had 7 days to the Caribbean from Southampton. BUT - it does give us something to bore future dinner companions with for the next several years :)

Barry

Such nice comments about NZ, Jen that I now feel bad about my posting of what you would buy if you won lotto!! (well not really)

Pete,

Just remember that 'I' bought the lotto tickets, and so 'I' will spend the money in a way that 'I' see fit....:eek:

BTW being a local, what do you suggest for BOI, or is it the same old story, you can't see it in a day:D just so typical of NZ, too pretty, too spectacular, and too nice people. This is why you can't get rid of us aussies:eek:

Hmmm - I agree with you. NZ seems to be a delightful place - for a number of reasons.

SO - why are they all coming over here to Oz??? Something doesn't add up!!!

Barry

Oooooh, Barry. You and Pete would make a great pair. Now, cos I am a lady, and for political politeness reasons, I just can't say on here why oz is attractive to our dear kiwi mates. :eek:

I feel I am about to be shot in flames, but mean absolutely no malice, just having a bit of aussie/kiwi fun, so be kind to me:D

And this is exactly why I love NZ as much as Oz....we can have a laugh, and take it.

Jen

Hmmm - I agree with you. NZ seems to be a delightful place - for a number of reasons.

Barry

One simple thing Barry. The dream of earning more money. HOWEVER is money everything?

Oooooh, Barry. You and Pete would make a great pair. Now, cos I am a lady, and for political politeness reasons, I just can't say on here why oz is attractive to our dear kiwi mates. :eek:

I feel I am about to be shot in flames, but mean absolutely no malice, just having a bit of aussie/kiwi fun, so be kind to me:D

And this is exactly why I love NZ as much as Oz....we can have a laugh, and take it.

Jen

With you all the way Jen. Friendly banter never hurt anyone. Just don't take me too seriously.

Re your question about the Bay of Islands, you really need 3 or 4 days to see most of the area. If ever you call in to the Bay on a cruise, I would be happy to be your chaufer for the day and show you some of the highlights.

Pete

Just getting back to original question.... From what I can see, most ports are accessible in NZ, although I do remember that down south at Dunedin and I think Lyttleton, they arrange their cruise times on the tides. By memory I think it was Dunedin that was a tricky one to get into at low tide, and needed port tug guidance. Quite interesting to see how they navigate through these areas. So I doubt very much that you would miss any ports....its just a small chance of the sounds.

Jen

With you all the way Jen. Friendly banter never hurt anyone. Just don't take me too seriously.

Re your question about the Bay of Islands, you really need 3 or 4 days to see most of the area. If ever you call in to the Bay on a cruise, I would be happy to be your chaufer for the day and show you some of the highlights.

Pete

Pete,

We are there in Nov, (bet you wished you had never offered) and was confused as to where the ship anchors, as believe it is different all the time. Love to have a chaufer for the day....name your price, but suggest after tonight and our big 'draw'...lol.

ps Under no circumstances are you to let Bob drive:D....he is an ex superbike rider....which is where his love for anything on wheels comes from:eek: BTW he is a skilled driver. Had to say that incase he reads it..hahaha.

We happened to be in exactly the wrong place at exactly the wrong time in the Atlantic this year in January (winter) - 14 metre(50 feet) waves coming directly at us in P&O Arcadia - a big ship but she had to slow right down to 10 knots. We missed a mid-Atlantic port and had 7 days to the Caribbean from Southampton. BUT - it does give us something to bore future dinner companions with for the next several years :)

Barry

OK Barry. You win with 14m. Your's is bigger than ours (10m). :)

Barry

Social security benefits are better :p

I'm another NZ lover :D The people and places :D

Pete

Hi Pete,

Would really like some info on your area. Many thanks again for your offer, which is such a huge imposition on your behalf. I have not had much luck with tour enquiries in BOI mainly due to the uncertainty of ships departure, which I think is 5pm. Anyway would appreciate some advice, re tours. You can contact us on jenhsvauatyahoodotcomdotau. I am hesitant to give this out over the net BTW, but here goes. Also Bob said to say he is not a 'bikie', apparently there is a difference...he just likes nice cars, bikes, anything on wheels. I was told off:eek:

Jen

We did the Xmas 2009 cruise to New Zealand and struck a rough crossing of the Tasman. The Captain told us that it was as bad as it gets and over 400 passengers had injections for seasickness. It was rough until we reached Milford Sound but after entering the Sound all the seasickness was more than worth what we experienced there. Three days before Xmas day it was snowing (sleet) at Port Chalmers (Dunedin) and the wind so strong that the ship pulled two bollards out of the wharf. We could not leave Port Chalmers because of the high winds as it was too dangerous to negotiate the channel and a tug had to push us against the wharf all night. The next morning was perfect weather but we missed Christchurch because of our overnight delay in Port Chalmers. The rest of thecrjuise was perfect. One bloke got off at Auckland and flew back to Melbourne as he was not going to go through the rough seas again. The Tasman was like a millpond on the way home.

I think it is the luck of the draw going across the Tasman. It can be rough anytime of the year but I can assure you that it is more than worth it to see the sights of New Zealand.

John

Hi

Jen

Hi Jen,

Excellent advice ...I couldn,t agree more with your comments ...they are spot on ....seeing Both Islands in NZ is like seeing the world on a budget..

Cheers

Col

Pete,

We are there in Nov, (bet you wished you had never offered) and was confused as to where the ship anchors, as believe it is different all the time. Love to have a chaufer for the day....name your price, but suggest after tonight and our big 'draw'...lol.

ps Under no circumstances are you to let Bob drive:D....he is an ex superbike rider....which is where his love for anything on wheels comes from:eek: BTW he is a skilled driver. Had to say that incase he reads it..hahaha.

Hi Jen and Bob

Have looked at the cruises coming in to the Bay of Islands in Nov and guess yours is the Sea Princess arriving on 15th. The ships cannot dock in the Bay and so it is a little time consuming getting off and on the ship. However consider your day booked and I will try and show you the highlights of our area. Oh by the way Bob will have to put up with riding in an FPV!!!!!

We did Alaska on Sea Princess last June. Just fabulous!

Will e mail you with my address.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I will email you later today. Nice to have a penpal again...must be fifty years since my last one!! Also thanks for the advice re BOI. I had gathered that disembarking was tricky and slow, mainly from the hesitancy of tour operators to book tours. Looking forward to chatting and getting some inside info about your lovely area.

Jen

• 1 month later...
We're considering taking a Princess cruise that leaves from Sydney and cruises throughout New Zealand this Nov. A friend told us they had such rough seas when they went that they were unable to visit the ports. Has anyone had a similar experience? Or has anyone taken this cruise and had smooth sailing? Thank you!

Hi, i did this cruise, on the pacific pearl, on the 24th April this year. The ship is lovely, BUT we had 3 days and night of 10 meter swells and 50 knot winds! My cabin was on the 9th floor and it was too rough for me to sleep, so i slept on a chair (tried to) on the 5th floor at reception. The captain and crew said 'this is nothing' and none of them were worried. Its only my 2nd cruise so i was very nervous. We didnt dock at Norfolk Is as it was too rough. I wouldnt do that trip again....

Last year i did the Princess Dawn (better ship and food) around the Whitsundays. Because its protected ocean from the barrier reef, we had lovely smooth sailing, and we went in July ( not cyclone season). I could reccommend this cruise for first time cruisers. Just do your homework. I made the mistake of letting someone else book my last cruise to NZ and when i got to NZ, everyone i spoke to (that lived there), told me it was nortorious for being a rough trip on the ocean.

Hope this helps.

ps... my sisters neighbour, on the 5th floor, well, her cabin window smashed in when hit by a big wave. She was in the cabin at the time. My sister was first on the scene. It was very scarey. Water came gushing in and starting swoosing up the hall way. In all due respect, the crew were very proffessional and sorted the problem almost immediately.

Cheers.

Yep, happens sometimes but not always. My daughter was on Dawn Princess this past season as crew and they did miss Christchurch and Dunedin as well as Milford on a couple of trips and for various reasons.

Bad weather is not a constant, however, and I would go again in a heartbeat. ( We were in Dunedin the cruise after Dawn skipped it and had the best weather ever for Dunedin-the sun actually shone and the temps were in the 22-24 range!

We're thinking of going on a NZ cruise for a third time! Love it. First crossing was a bit roughish around the Sounds, but the wind was the reason we didn't get in, second time I thought we were cruising on a lake - very smooth. Years ago we crossed the Tasman coming home from the UK. That was also calm as a mill pond. All of our crossings have taken place in late Feb/early March. However, having said that, it is unpredictable.

It can also be roughish going up the Qld coast. It's just the luck of the draw - or something! :rolleyes:

HI everyone. Im new to the site. WE have just booked for a cruise to New Zealand on the 30th oct, for thirteen days. Im looking foward to it all. Its interesting being on here and reading some comments about the Tasman sea.

This is our first cruise. I never thought for one moment that hubbie would be interested in "just another boat" as he was a fisherman and diver for many years before retiring... but he probed me wrong ! lol.

We have a few months yet before we sail, so Im going to make the most of being on here.... picking everyones brains . lol.

oh... we are on the Sea Princess... leaves about 3pm on sunday the 30th oct 2011. cheers everyone. restless 071 tassie.

Hi Jen,

Excellent advice ...I couldn,t agree more with your comments ...they are spot on ....seeing Both Islands in NZ is like seeing the world on a budget..

Cheers

Col

HI everyone. Im new to the site. WE have just booked for a cruise to New Zealand on the 30th oct, for thirteen days. Im looking foward to it all. Its interesting being on here and reading some comments about the Tasman sea.

This is our first cruise. I never thought for one moment that hubbie would be interested in "just another boat" as he was a fisherman and diver for many years before retiring... but he probed me wrong ! lol.

We have a few months yet before we sail, so Im going to make the most of being on here.... picking everyones brains . lol.

oh... we are on the Sea Princess... leaves about 3pm on sunday the 30th oct 2011. cheers everyone. restless 071 tassie.

Welcome to cc and enjoy your cruise. I promise you wonr be dissappointed!!

Archived