Carnival Magic leaving Galveston for good? Sunshine leaving New Orleans for good?

thecruiserofships

After seeing new itineraries posted today from Carnival and reading much speculations here on the boards I just wanted to share some information that I think I have discovered:

Galveston - Carnival Magic:

Right now the Magic does 7 day voyages and goes to Grand Cayman. The Port of Grand Cayman's website shows the Magic docking May 1, 2014, but it does not appear on the schedule for the rest of the year when other Carnival ships do. I don't know what this means. If you want to see what I am refering to (http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php). I did the start date in the search as May 1, 2014 and ending the search result with December 31, 2014.

New Orleans - Carnival Sunshine:

When I visited the Port of New Orlean's website I searched for cruises in June 2014 and the port only shows the Elation docking. Here is the link:

http://corelserver1.portno.com:8082/cruisemain.htm . Search at the top for June 2014.

Hopefully, neither of these ships are changing homeports as I enjoy cruising from Galveston and New Orleans. After seeing this it makes me think that they are decreasing capacity or replacing ships.

Please share any information you have. I am trying as hard as possible not to speculate, but thought I would share my findings in light of today's itinerary changes.

The May 1st 2014 date reflects current announced itineraries. You cannot currently book a cruise on Magic after the April 27th 2014 sailing. That doesn't mean the Magic will be moved necessarily. I guess we will all have to wait for new sail dates to be released.

Best guess would be that the websites you are looking at are not correct. Could be they just don't have the information yet.

I would be very surprised if the Magic or the Sunshine left their respective ports. Did you check Carnivals site to see if they are still showing bookings for both ships?

Best guess would be that the websites you are looking at are not correct. Could be they just don't have the information yet.

I would be very surprised if the Magic or the Sunshine left their respective ports. Did you check Carnivals site to see if they are still showing bookings for both ships?

Yes, as of a few minutes ago Carnival's website still showed the same bookings for these ships. It does not look like anything has been cancelled. I just though it was a little weird that Grand Cayman showed other Carnival ships on their schedule and New Orleans showed the Elation, but no other ship on the schedule. That is why I am slightly alarmed.

Hopefully, they just don't have information yet because I really enjoy cruising from both of these homeports.

The May 1st 2014 date reflects current announced itineraries. You cannot currently book a cruise on Magic after the April 27th 2014 sailing. That doesn't mean the Magic will be moved necessarily. I guess we will all have to wait for new sail dates to be released.

It is true that this does not mean the Magic will be moved, maybe itinerary changes possibly? Or maybe, the schedule is wrong?

You are right about us having to wait for new sail dates to be released. Hopefully that will be soon.

It is true that this does not mean the Magic will be moved, maybe itinerary changes possibly? Or maybe, the schedule is wrong?

You are right about us having to wait for new sail dates to be released. Hopefully that will be soon.

Carnival Magic currently sails three different itineraries so I would be quite surprised to see a fourth added. Carnival Triumph has no itineraries published past April 2014 either so perhaps the line is considering its options from Galveston.

While any change is possible I cannot recall Carnival moving both ships from a port at the same time. That doesn't mean one or both won't be moved but at this point it just tells me they have not made any decisions.

Carnival's database does not show any ship officially sailing after 4/26 or 4/27/2013. The itineraries have simply not been published yet.

Hope that helps! ;)

After seeing new itineraries posted today from Carnival and reading much speculations here on the boards I just wanted to share some information that I think I have discovered:

Galveston - Carnival Magic:

Right now the Magic does 7 day voyages and goes to Grand Cayman. The Port of Grand Cayman's website shows the Magic docking May 1, 2014, but it does not appear on the schedule for the rest of the year when other Carnival ships do. I don't know what this means. If you want to see what I am refering to (http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php). I did the start date in the search as May 1, 2014 and ending the search result with December 31, 2014.

New Orleans - Carnival Sunshine:

When I visited the Port of New Orlean's website I searched for cruises in June 2014 and the port only shows the Elation docking. Here is the link:

http://corelserver1.portno.com:8082/cruisemain.htm . Search at the top for June 2014.

Hopefully, neither of these ships are changing homeports as I enjoy cruising from Galveston and New Orleans. After seeing this it makes me think that they are decreasing capacity or replacing ships.

Please share any information you have. I am trying as hard as possible not to speculate, but thought I would share my findings in light of today's itinerary changes.

Carnival's database does not show any ship officially sailing after 4/26 or 4/27/2013. The itineraries have simply not been published yet.

Hope that helps! ;)

There are hundreds of sailings listed after 4/26 or 4/27/2013. :confused: :confused: :confused:

And even if you meant 2014, there are several listed on Ecstasy, Imagination & Inspiration. Still :confused: :confused:

There are hundreds of sailings listed after 4/26 or 4/27/2013. :confused: :confused: :confused:

And even if you meant 2014, there are several listed on Ecstasy, Imagination & Inspiration. Still :confused: :confused:

When you are referring to the "hundreds of sailings" where are you seeing those?

Are they on Grand Cayman's site, New Orleans's port website, or somewhere else?

Hmmmm interestingly on cruise fish almost all the Magic and Sunshine itineraries for 2014 are now crossed off.

Sunshine was on there through the end of April 2014.

It seems that it is the itineraries that go to Grand Cayman for both ships.

Maybe they are going to switch up the itineraries.

Sunshine

crossed out from 1/5/2014 forward

New Orleans, LA; Key West, FL; Freeport, The Bahamas; Nassau, The Bahamas

crossed out from 12/29/2013 forward

New Orleans, LA; Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico

BUT this is still showing as available

New Orleans, LA; Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan; Belize; Cozumel, Mexico

Magic

crossed out Jan, Feb, Mar and Apr 2014

Galveston, TX; Key West, FL; Freeport, The Bahamas; Nassau, The Bahamas

crossed out from 12/22/2013 forward

Galveston, TX; Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico

Galveston, TX; Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico

BUT I just checked CCL site and all those sailing are showing up.

Hmmmm interestingly on cruise fish almost all the Magic and Sunshine itineraries for 2014 are now crossed off.

Sunshine was on there through the end of April 2014.

It seems that it is the itineraries that go to Grand Cayman for both ships.

Maybe they are going to switch up the itineraries.

Sunshine

crossed out from 1/5/2014 forward

New Orleans, LA; Key West, FL; Freeport, The Bahamas; Nassau, The Bahamas

New Orleans, LA; Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico

BUT this is still showing as available

New Orleans, LA; Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan; Belize; Cozumel, Mexico

Magic

crossed out Jan, Feb, Mar and Apr 2014

Galveston, TX; Key West, FL; Freeport, The Bahamas; Nassau, The Bahamas

crossed out from 12/22/2013 forward

BUT I just checked CCL site and all those sailing are showing up.

Switching itineraries could be the case, hopefully. I don't want to see either ships change homports.

Why would you rely on info from websites other than Carnival's for ships and itineraries? Those websites probably have to rely on Carnival to supply them with the ships and itineraies.

9 out of 10 times port schedules will be more accurate than the cruise line sites. They will also have schedules posted long before sail dates open up.

It could be they are looking at rearranging the schedules a bit right now if there are 2 Carnival ships docked in the same port it means the ships don't have as many Carnival Shore Ex's to offer. I'll use Cozumel as an example as the Magic and Conquest are docked side by side a couple of times a month. So instead of each ship having let's say 100 available seats for a snorkel tour with two ships in each ship would have 50 available seats. They may just be looking at port schedules and working on not having 2 or more ships in the same port at the same time. And since Galveston and NOLA are only about 6 driving hours apart having the ships do different routes each week instead of the same route a couple of times a month would be good for both home ports. Since if you don't mind which one you go out of and you want to go to select stops you have more options available. Can't sail the 1st week of the month but can sail the 3rd week of the month not having the two ships going to the same places gives you 2 route options not one for that week.

• 6 months later...

Archived