Stingray sandbar AND 7-Mile Beach on our own? Is this feasible?

NOLAbebe

Hey, y'all!

I've heard GC is very safe to go out on your own, and we will be there from approximately 10-4. I wanted to go to the Stingray sandbar, and we were considering going to 7-Mile Beach afterwards, but for those of you who have done this: is this feasible? Will we get back to the ship in time? We were going to try to be the first off the boat, if possible, because I hear you have to tender? Then do stingrays, then catch a cab to the beach. I have no idea if this is suggested or realistic, but none of the ship-approved excursions include both of these activities paired together.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Doable....if you don't spend much time at the Stingrays. (That is a beach, too, you know!!)

Take the bus...$2.50 pp...they run regularly and will pick up and drop anywhere along the route.

Bear in mind that afternoon traffic gets jammed up...so plan to leave the beach and start heading back to the ship by 2-2:30. The last tender is at 3:30 if you depart at 4! The road is VERY visible from the beaches (they are narrow!), so you can monitor traffic and plan your escape!!! Just walk up to the road, and hop on the next bus passing by!

Edited by cb at sea

Doable....if you don't spend much time at the Stingrays. (That is a beach, too, you know!!)

Well, actually it's a sandbar out in the ocean. Not quite the same thing. And you cannot go there on your own unless you have a boat. An excursion of some sort is a must, although it doesn't need to be one booked through the ship.

There are many excursions that go to Stingray City, and the vast majority of the private ones will drop you off at Seven Mile Beach afterwards. It's very easy to then get a taxi back to the ship when you're done for the day.

• 2 months later...
Hey, y'all!

I've heard GC is very safe to go out on your own, and we will be there from approximately 10-4. I wanted to go to the Stingray sandbar, and we were considering going to 7-Mile Beach afterwards, but for those of you who have done this: is this feasible? Will we get back to the ship in time? We were going to try to be the first off the boat, if possible, because I hear you have to tender? Then do stingrays, then catch a cab to the beach. I have no idea if this is suggested or realistic, but none of the ship-approved excursions include both of these activities paired together.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

A good option for you to book a Stingray City only tour, that just takes you to Stingray City and back (2 hours) and then you can have them arrange transportation to drop you off at 7 mile beach. This is what we did when we booked with Stingray City United but we wet to turtle farm afterwards instead of 7-mile. Check them out and have a great time :)