Unable to perform standard muster drill

I have a few questions regarding a modified/alternative muster drill location & procedure.

My dh & I have cruised several times before. We are sailing on the Freedom of the Seas in December with our 4 year old son & my in-laws (who have never cruised before). This is our retirement gift to them so both cabins are under the same reservation. However, it was most cost effective to put my dh & I in separate cabins since we had past guest discounts. Since booking the cruise in January of this year, I've been diagnosed with something that will prevent me from being able to do the standard muster drill. I understand that I can get a dr note to request an alternative. My questions are:

Can anyone explain/describe the non-standard muster drill?

Will our party be split up & the rest of my group be required to do the standard muster drill? I ask because I prefer not to be separated from my dh & young son during that process (I've always found it the most chaotic part of cruising) and my in-laws will not feel comfortable (having never cruised before) doing it on their own. They are easily overwhelmed by the crowds, instructions, etc. Given that my dh is technically assigned to a different cabin, I didn't know if we'd need to be apart for the drill if I receive a modified muster drill accommodation.

In a related question, I am needing to drink 32 oz of Gatorade everyday for medical reasons, will I be allowed to bring a case of unopened Gatorade onto the ship with us? Thank you!

...In a related question, I am needing to drink 32 oz of Gatorade everyday for medical reasons, will I be allowed to bring a case of unopened Gatorade onto the ship with us? Thank you!

I would contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] and get something in writing from them that will allow you to bring the Gatorade. While you can probably get by without authorization, it is tecnically against the rules to bring on any beverage (except two bottles of wine), so there's a small chance they would deny it.

They don't really care about Gatorade. Just bring it.

As far as muster...you could write RCI and request some sort of "alternate" instructions, I guess. If you have a disability, they will allow you to be seated.

Once you board, go to customer service and tell them who will be in which cabin...get it straight. They don't care if you do that...it's done ALL the time.

It would be helpful in an emergency if you knew where your muster station is...that's the whole point of muster drill.

My mom is unable to stand too long and cannot do the standard muster drill. We always go to the station, check in with the person who is checking everyone in, then tell them that she needs to sit inside. They always direct us to an inside area for handicapped individuals or those that simply cannot stand outside (if your station is an outside one).

They don't usually have a problem. Perhaps, you and your son can sit inside and your DH can stay outside with your in laws, unless there is a reason they cannot stand outside either.

As for the Gatorade, getting an approval from special needs (and perhaps a note from your dr. indicating your need to have them for your trip) would be a good idea.

ETA: On Freedom they have the freestyle soda machines and they have powerade. Can you substitute that for Gatorade? If so, maybe get yourself a soda card, then use the cups to get the powerade when you need it, and not bother lugging those heavy bottles of Gatorade with you. Just a possible alternative for you to consider.

Edited by njmomof2

Some people have arrived at muster drill w/ their scooters. But, we sat on some loungers while waiting, and they stacked the loungers and made us stand.

I'd include your muster drill problems in your special needs.

Check at Guest relations to make sure they'll let all four of you have the same muster station.

Edited by knittinggirl

I have a few questions regarding a modified/alternative muster drill location & procedure.

My dh & I have cruised several times before. We are sailing on the Freedom of the Seas in December with our 4 year old son & my in-laws (who have never cruised before). This is our retirement gift to them so both cabins are under the same reservation. However, it was most cost effective to put my dh & I in separate cabins since we had past guest discounts. Since booking the cruise in January of this year, I've been diagnosed with something that will prevent me from being able to do the standard muster drill. I understand that I can get a dr note to request an alternative. My questions are:

Can anyone explain/describe the non-standard muster drill?

Will our party be split up & the rest of my group be required to do the standard muster drill? I ask because I prefer not to be separated from my dh & young son during that process (I've always found it the most chaotic part of cruising) and my in-laws will not feel comfortable (having never cruised before) doing it on their own. They are easily overwhelmed by the crowds, instructions, etc. Given that my dh is technically assigned to a different cabin, I didn't know if we'd need to be apart for the drill if I receive a modified muster drill accommodation.

In a related question, I am needing to drink 32 oz of Gatorade everyday for medical reasons, will I be allowed to bring a case of unopened Gatorade onto the ship with us? Thank you!

You are booked in separate cabins for now. Once on board, you can rearrange your cabin arrangements as to who is going to sleep in what cabin by just getting additional keys from Guest Services. It's done all the time.

Regarding the muster drill. If standing is a problem, you can "all" sit inside as there will be a staff member there going through the same instructions that are taking place on deck. I believe it will be on Deck 5. Just make sure that your husband lets them know that you are all there, but are just sitting inside. They check you off by cabin number and if you are not checked off, you will get a nastygram the next morning.

Regarding Gatorade, all you need is a letter from your doctor stating that, for medical reasons, it is necessary for you need to bring Gatorade on board with you. Again, no problem.

I would contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] and get something in writing from them that will allow you to bring the Gatorade. While you can probably get by without authorization, it is tecnically against the rules to bring on any beverage (except two bottles of wine), so there's a small chance they would deny it.

Bob, we take juice with us all the time due to medical reasons and have never had a problem. We do have a letter from our doctor stating that it is necessary.

Bob, we take juice with us all the time due to medical reasons and have never had a problem. We do have a letter from our doctor stating that it is necessary.

Do you carry it on, or pack it in checked bags?

Careful of the Gatorade...I'm sure your physician has reasons for prescribing 32 oz of Gatorade a day, but please make sure that you brush your teeth afterward, or at least vigorously rinse with water after you drink the Gatorade.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/news/20060309/gatorade-tough-on-teeth

Good luck!

Or drink the Gatorade with a straw.:)

As for the Gatorade, getting an approval from special needs (and perhaps a note from your dr. indicating your need to have them for your trip) would be a good idea.

Contact special needs department. Don't waste your drs. time getting a letter. They won't need it, nor will they care.

We sailed on freedom and I had a broken foot. I was heading to Muster and someone took me aside and had me and my family sit in a lounge. They asked our room number and went to tell the person in charge of our Muster. It was easy.

If you do not look like you need a special muster station I would ask someone explaining that you can not stand outside for directions to the special station. Then after you and your son are seated send your DH to your station to tell them you are at the inside station.

On a plus they also released us a few minutes earlier to beat the crowd to the elevators.

Well here is my story to add to all of this so far.

This past April we took a family cruise and there were 10 of us in 4 cabins. My granddaughter does not eat and is fed through a tube. It is a special formula and my DIL brought enough for the entire week in a carryon. She did have to go through special screening at the airport with all the liquids. She had a note from the Dr about all the formula but when boarding the ship they never said anything or asked about what it was.

My granddaughter is Autistic and they let her stay in the cabin with my DIL for muster drill and just told her to watch it on TV. The rest of us had to go to the regular drill. I would advise to go to Guest Services as soon as you board to ask if you can stay in your cabin for muster. Also call the special needs dept at RC and they will flag your reservation. If you need a "medical" fridge for the gatorade they will put on in your cabin.

They no longer have you bring the life jackets to the drill.

Edited by Marie51

Contact special needs department. Don't waste your drs. time getting a letter. They won't need it, nor will they care.

Our experience has been that Special Needs told us to bring a letter from our Doctor in case we were asked going through security.

Special Needs will note on your Confirmation Invoice any special needs. That Confirmation Invoice is not available to the security people checking you in.

Plus, a doctor's letter is needed when going through TSA when one is carrying more than one 3 ounce box of juice.

Edited by cruisenfever

Our experience has been that Special Needs told us to bring a letter from our Doctor in case we were asked going through security.

Special Needs will note on your Confirmation Invoice any special needs. That Confirmation Invoice is not available to the security people checking you in.

Plus, a doctor's letter is needed when going through TSA when one is carrying more than one 3 ounce box of juice.

A doctors letter is not required. We just went through TSA with a carryon full of liquids(see my above post) and all they did was look it over and then did a special test on it and we were on our way. Nobody ever asked for the doctors letter although we did have one with us.

A doctors letter is not required. We just went through TSA with a carryon full of liquids(see my above post) and all they did was look it over and then did a special test on it and we were on our way. Nobody ever asked for the doctors letter although we did have one with us.

I believe Patti is referring to the cruise line security, not the TSA.

I know I was I a different ship, but our muster drill took place in the theatre rather than on deck, I was sat down the entire time.

I was in a different cabin to my parents with different muster stations... In essence this meant we sat in different parts of he theatre.

Weird - I always thought it happened on deck!!

Actually that is a Question. Is Royal Caribbean Muster Drills outdoors standing up?

This is very important to me because I can't stand for more than a few minutes and if Royal still makes you stand outside I will have difficulty; however, I feel they are important to attend in case there is a true emergency.

Celebrity hasn't had outdoor muster in years; at least not since my back surgery in 2008.

Edited by mjwcruising

Unfortunately for us, when flying out of Cleveland, a doctor's letter is required and must be shown. We are also subject to the special test of the boxes of juice I carry. It all depends on who the TSA agent is and the time of the flight.

Seems that if we have a very early flight and there is little traffic in the security lines, the TSA agents take more of an interest in what is going through their x-ray machines. I even take the boxes out and put them in the tray. They are juicy juice boxes in a sealed package of 8.

I believe Patti is referring to the cruise line security, not the TSA.

No, I was referring to TSA.

Edited by cruisenfever

Actually that is a Question. Is Royal Caribbean Muster Drills outdoors standing up?

This is very important to me because I can't stand for more than a few minutes and if Royal still makes you stand outside I will have difficulty; however, I feel they are important to attend in case there is a true emergency.

Celebrity hasn't had outdoor muster in years; at least not since my back surgery in 2008.

Depends on the ship and muster station. There are still many ships with outdoor muster stations where you passengers are standing. If you cannot stand for long, see your muster station leader and they will accomodate you.