Pink Boas and Pirates commandeer Vision of the Seas to Bermuda!

I wonder if Captain Lis realized what kind of minor mayhem she allowed on her ship? Probably not, but we had a good time anyway.

Welcome to my second review of Vision of the Seas on a long cruise. This run was the first of three trips to Bermuda. In addition to Bermuda, the cruise included stops at Charleston, SC, Nassau, Bahamas, and Coco Cay, Bahamas.

The trip had its ups and downs, some service hiccups in the MDR, but those were taken care of in a reasonable fashion and nothing was going so wrong that it would ruin anyone's vacation.

(A fast note for friends that were on board, the migraine problem was likely found and solved this morning. Neck was thoroughly locked up. Chiropractor made me sound like a rice crispy treat, but way better now. Thanks for concern on board. :) )

A bit about myself and those with me. I am a mid-forties robotics technician with a tendency to tinker with scale models, video games, and computers. And of course, cruising.

My GF is close to 40, but I'm not saying which side of it. She has one of the world's most stressful jobs. She assists in a daycare of pre-school and younger kids. Needless to say there are job hazards there that most people would avoid like the plague.

And lastly but way far from least is my own grandmother, aka "Mimi". Ninety three years young, she happily filled the spot vacated by the 11 year old that was supposed to go, but did herself out of the trip. Oh well. Quite frankly, Mimi had an excellent time. Her only complaint was that she didn't feel like she was on a ship. Well, her last cruise may well have been on Stella Solaris, which was a toy even next to Vision.

14486479183_f15c22c45c_b.jpg

P1000241 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

From Left to Right, my GF Jolene, your humble host on this review, David, and Mimi.

I am going to unabashedly swipe Emmy's screen grab from our sail away at Fort Lauderdale. It was one of those moments you just can't let go.

10325370_780088098702030_8351338683048666624_n.jpg

As can easily be told this was a group that was going to have a good time.

Also, first launched the "Rum Raiders". Yep that's me trying to keep the now notorious pirate flag in line. I just don't do pink at all, so I came up with that bit of silliness to make things a bit more fun. Of course, Jolene and Mimi went for the boas. Jolene actually did both.

10478578_10152457299992999_2586896465698522067_n.jpg

That's most of the folks that were at sail away. There's a few missing. Mimi had by this point claimed a deck chair.

I'm taking this cruise in September with my dh and several friends.

I've been reading some reviews that don't really put the Vision in a good light. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

MaryW

Normally, I'm about a year between cruises but this year turned out a bit different. We were just on Serenade in February and I picked up an open booking before they were gutted. The plan was to find a cruise to take the 11-year old on for her first trip. This one showed up and the opportunity was entirely too good to pass up.

Unfortunately, said 11 year old goofed up rather thoroughly and lost her spot on the trip. Thus the first of a few things that had to change. I called C&A and switched the kid out for Mimi is all of about 5 minutes. It would be Mimi's first trip in several years and the family as a whole was hoping she would be able to get out and enjoy. Needless to say she did. But, getting to FLL and the ship proved to have some extra adventure for her that no one had planned on.

Our flight day turned out to be very nice with some most interesting clouds visible at the 39k feet. I hate flying with a passion, but at least we had non-stops. Mimi, on the other hand, did not since she booked her flights almost at the last minute.

149954_10152457293342999_4186134551390362934_n.jpg

We got into Fort Lauderdale a little after 9pm and had no trouble picking up our luggage or getting a cab to the hotel.

We stayed at the Best Western Plus Oceanside Inn right off A1A. The room was clean and the breakfasts were very good. I'm not posting any pictures simply because there's no point. The hotel will be undergoing major renovations in July and won't look the same afterwards.

We hit the Bahia Cabana for a late dinner. No joke, those famous fish sandwiches of theirs are pretty impressive. Price wasn't bad even with a rum runner and pina colada attached. They're open until quite late and were not terribly busy that evening.

The next day was spent mostly riding the Fort Lauderdale Water Taxis up and down the Intra-Coastal Waterway. If wandering around on a boat taking in the Fort Lauderdale scenery is of interest, the day pass is definitely worth getting. On the Hollywood leg, take their advice and get off at the first stop for a bite to eat. You'll have about 45 minutes before the boat returns to head back up to the 17th Street stop. Just don't get stupid like I did and leave your debit card on the table. Kudos to the staff at Giorgios Bakery & Bistro, they had it under lock and key right quick and kept it that way until I returned and showed my ID to recover it.

10408937_10152457299717999_4407919549165858907_n.jpg

Hollywood Route water taxi.

10492142_10152457295072999_8881981600445858151_n.jpg

17th Street Drawbridge from the Water Taxi stop underneath.

10411076_10152457295932999_2099963905825208143_n.jpg

Allure of the Seas as the skies begin to darken rather ominously.

We were on the Hollywood Water Taxi when the lightning hit the runway at the airport and gouged up the pavement a bit. We didn't know it had done that at the time but it was a pretty solid crash in the air that got everybody's attention.

I've been reading some reviews that don't really put the Vision in a good light. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

MaryW

I'll be hitting some details good and bad. But, I did not hit anything that put me off from going back out on Vision again. I am aware that one or two on this cruise had issues, but I'm going to let them get their reviews out and not try to second guess them.

I will say that the crew seemed to be much happier with a long cruise than the recent shortys. Most everyone I dealt with had a smile and was in a cheerful mood. Our stateroom attendant was commonly heard singing in the hallway for example.

Thanks,

MaryW

Mary I too was on this sailing of Vision and I quite enjoyed the ship, service, food and the itinerary. I had also read the negative reviews and comments and yes I did hear about some experiences but for myself and my DH we would not hesitate to sail on Vision again. It was quite a pleasant experience.

I especially thought that Giovanni's was one of the best I have eaten at. Great smiling and friendly staff. Ship looked great.

David nice start to the review and quite enjoyed your company, Jolene and Mimi...I had no idea of her age. She is one amazing lady :)

Edited by emmy

I am really happy I found this review! This itinerary is one that is high up on my cruise wish list. In fact, l almost booked it for 2014. Unfortunately, our plans for moving our OBB with Disney out to 2015 didn't work out the way I wanted so we decided to just go ahead and sail what we had already booked with them this year. I am not sure yet where we will fit FLL to Bermuda into our vacation plans, so I really hope to see it offered again over the next couple of years. I do have a really long cruise wish list. :eek::D In the meantime I am looking forward to hearing about all of the adventures of the pirates, the pink boas, and whoever else happens to show up in this review.

Happy to see you and Jolene sailing again and would also like to say HI to emmy, DW and I sailed with the Pink Boas about a year and a half ago had a great time, what a wonderful group of folks.

Jim & Claire form Myrtle Beach, SC

David, I am enjoying your review. That is quite the cloud at 39,000 feet.

I must also say your Mimi has the spirit of my grandmother Amar. She passed at 96 but was always up for a trip near or far well into her 90s. She had that infectious spirit that was so wonderful. It is unfortunate that the 11 year old didn't go, however having Mimi there made the trip memorable and special for so many reasons.

I am looking forward to the rest of your review.

Andrew

Happy to see you and Jolene sailing again and would also like to say HI to emmy, DW and I sailed with the Pink Boas about a year and a half ago had a great time, what a wonderful group of folks.

Hi back at ya! thank you for the kind words. Hope to see you again on a cruise. :)

I too was on this cruise and I am loving your review so far! I had no complaints about anything on Vision with the ship, the crew or the food. Excellent on all levels. I would sail Vision again in a heartbeat!!

This was my first time to Bermuda and it is spectacular! Can't wait to go there again......next time I will bring the DH!!

Well Darkwolfe...now you are a Pink Boa too, such a small world! Hope to catch up with you on another cruise!

BILL

Well, my GF and my grandmother for certain. Me, I have more of a piratical nature. Thus this on some T-shirts....

13986080590_ca4b05c478_n.jpg

Rum Raiders Logo by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

14225895913_cdf27490cf_o.jpg

Vision T-shirt by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

And yes, I know we weren't in the Caribbean. Who said Caribbean Mayhem had to be bound to just the Caribbean? :D

I too was on this cruise and I am loving your review so far! I had no complaints about anything on Vision with the ship, the crew or the food. Excellent on all levels. I would sail Vision again in a heartbeat!!

This was my first time to Bermuda and it is spectacular! Can't wait to go there again......next time I will bring the DH!!

We've already decided we want to go back as well. However, they had a transportation strike this week that left a lot of people stuck. All of the ferries and buses got parked while the Union got grouchy. Glad that didn't happen while we were there.

Yup, laid this one on pretty darned fast but it all worked out in the end. I'd be thrilled to run with this crowd again. Absolutely a fun time!

Mary I too was on this sailing of Vision and I quite enjoyed the ship, service, food and the itinerary. I had also read the negative reviews and comments and yes I did hear about some experiences but for myself and my DH we would not hesitate to sail on Vision again. It was quite a pleasant experience.

I especially thought that Giovanni's was one of the best I have eaten at. Great smiling and friendly staff. Ship looked great.

David nice start to the review and quite enjoyed your company, Jolene and Mimi...I had no idea of her age. She is one amazing lady :)

We had a very fun time ourselves. Hope to catch up with you and the rest of the PBCs down the road again. Got signed up with "sombody in Vancouver's" Equinox cruise for Nov 9, 2015. Betcha she might let you in if you ask real nice. ;) Just imagine THAT party!

More from "Mimi's Travel Adventure" coming up soon.

Edited by Darkwolfe

A few more random pictures from sailing along the ICW.....

Mickey's Tugboat?

14483516933_5d85d1442c_b.jpg

P1020128 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Now here's a collection of real pirates!

14463337385_460b6d546d_b.jpg

P1020135 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Another parked yacht

14440239806_43d9e8839e_b.jpg

P1020131 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Up next "Why making flights on time is important".. Also known as "Mimi's unplanned trip to Chicago".

Someone fill me in please. I've seen references to the Pink Boas and Pink Fedoras but I don't know what it means. Can someone explain.

THANKS.

It would be my pleasure to explain. We are a group of cruising friends mostly who have connected through Cruise Critic (Thank you CC) and have chosen to wear Pink Boas for the Ladies and the men Pink Fedoras. The pink boa is a symbol of our cruising friendships and it is all about FUN ~ FEATHERS~ FRIENDS

We have been gathering new members quickly on our cruises and we like especially to wear our pink boas and pink fedoras/shirts at sail aways especially when there is a PTZtv webcam so that we can wave to family and friends back home. We also wear our PINK at formal evening, Meet & Mingle, other events on the ship.

Anyone can join in and wear a pink boa on their cruise and be part of the group. Thank you for asking. :) We always have a fun time.

We are boarding Vision on July 3rd and have been anxiously awaiting your review. We don't expect much except clean surroundings and pleasant staff. We don't eat anywhere except the buffet or room service and we love not having a schedule. Sounds like most of the kinks have been worked out. Can't wait to relax on deck with a drink of the day!

Someone fill me in please. I've seen references to the Pink Boas and Pink Fedoras but I don't know what it means. Can someone explain.

THANKS.

The "Rum Raiders" bit got created by me simply as thing to give an alternate color choice and add a few more laughs. I just don't do pink, but the PBC crowd is way too much fun to not want to hang out with. Besides, pink and black go together just fine. Just ask our 11 year old with the pink and black zebra striped curtains in her room! :D