Royal Clipper May 31st/ advice please

Mrs Miggins

Our first cruise on Royal Clipper. On past cruises with other companies they have supplied excellent shampoo/conditioner/shower gel etc. as well as beach towels. Have read Star Clipper brochure but cannot find any mention of what is supplied. Also our recent cruises have been on Azamara which include most drinks. Are there any wine packages? what about coffee - water - fruit juice etc. Is the onboard account in Euros or USD?

Also I have read on another site that it is wise to choose the single bed option (we are cat 2) as this seems to give extra storage under the beds and avoids the need to climb over the other person to get in/out of bed.

Any advice much appreciated.

Looking forward to this cruise and a new experience.

We have been on the RC several times (next one Feb 2015) and based on our experience:- Beach towels are provided and you can change them as you wish. Drinks are not included in the fare and I am not aware of drinks "packages" That said, drinks are reasonably priced and you charge them up to your account as you go along. Quite a good wine list and the Starclippers red and white house wines are good. There is a free tea / coffee station in the lounge just behind the tropical bar. There is a free fresh chilled water unit permanently available to the right of the tropical bar (looking towards the tropical bar). The onboard currency is the Euro. Some or all of the Cat 2 cabins have a double bed which can be divided in to two singles - your cabin steward will do that for you on request. In the double bed formation one does not necessarily have to crawl over the person next to you as you can slide down the bed and get off at the end. In either configuration there is a lot of storage under the bed(s) and your suitcases should go under there.

A thought or two to get you started on the first day. Boarding usually starts at 4.00 p.m.. The compulsory lifeboat drill may be at 6.00 p.m. Dinner usually starts at 7.30 p.m. Suggest that, on your first night, you go in promptly at that time and be out by, say, 9.45 p.m. Then make your way up to the open part of the bridge for sailaway - which is usually at 10.00 p.m. Listen as well as watch!!! Life on the RC is pretty relaxed and one normally meets some very interesting fellow passengers leaving you, perhaps, with stories to tell for years to come. Have a super holiday.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. Really looking forward to the cruise and I have been told the sailaways are very emotional.

Its a big birthday for me so I am hoping this will be really special. We love Azamara but its been a dream to go on Star Clippers ever since we saw one the ships sailing when we were on the Amalfi coast road. Just spectacular !

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. Really looking forward to the cruise and I have been told the sailaways are very emotional.

Its a big birthday for me so I am hoping this will be really special. We love Azamara but its been a dream to go on Star Clippers ever since we saw one the ships sailing when we were on the Amalfi coast road. Just spectacular !

Hi,

I do hope you enjoy Royal Clipper - please will you post a review when you get back?

Your review of your Royal Clipper experience will have context for me because you're an Azamara fan. We've been on Azamara Quest once so far - Easter 2014 from Seville. (Your name is familiar - were you on that sailing?). Our next cruise on Quest is next week.

However, we've wanted to go on Royal Clipper for a long time and are booked on a September cruise for a late celebration of one of my milestone birthdays. (My actual birthday was celebrated on Thomson Dream in the Caribbean - I was actually very impressed with their service, onboard staff and entertainment.)

I'm really looking forward to our Royal Clipper experience, but am also a little apprehensive. We will be in a Cat 4 cabin - number 112. I don't think it's a particularly good choice, but seemed the best option when I booked. Our cabin next week on Quest isn't wonderful though - but we booked on the Inside-to-Balcony offer, and can't complain for the price we paid.

Thanks, and enjoy !!

Wacktle - your cabin should be fine! You will have seen above that I recommended to Mrs Miggins that they be in the vicinity of the open part of the bridge for sailaway on their first night - that is even more relevant for sailings from Venice, which it seems you will be on. The RC will (mainly) motor out of the port because of the route changes on the way out. When (not "if" hopefully) you are indeed where I suggest, I further suggest you should be on the Port side and, as you go past St. Marks Square, look carefully over in that direction - it should be most memorable for what you are likely to see there - you (by which I mean the RC and all those aboard) are the stars of the show.

Wacktle - your cabin should be fine! You will have seen above that I recommended to Mrs Miggins that they be in the vicinity of the open part of the bridge for sailaway on their first night - that is even more relevant for sailings from Venice, which it seems you will be on. The RC will (mainly) motor out of the port because of the route changes on the way out. When (not "if" hopefully) you are indeed where I suggest, I further suggest you should be on the Port side and, as you go past St. Marks Square, look carefully over in that direction - it should be most memorable for what you are likely to see there - you (by which I mean the RC and all those aboard) are the stars of the show.

Hi - Thanks for the cabin reassurance and your advice. We are indeed sailing out of Venice. We've sailed in and out of Venice before and it was a very emotional experience, even though we were on a normal ship that time. On RC, I'm expecting it to be many times better. We will certainly ensure we're on the port side for the sailaway.

I will certainly post a review as information about Med cruises seems fairly sparse on this board.

Wacktie, have done 3 Azamara cruises. We have done two in the Western Med cruises with a similar itinerary to your cruise in a couple of days. Our favourite port of call was Sanary Sur Mer. Just beautiful, with none of the glitz of St Tropez or Monaco. Just a pleasure to wander around and beautiful views from the coast path. I hope your weather is good as I understand Quest had a little problem in Monaco recently. If your Azamazing evening is in the Oceonography Musuem in Monaco you will have a very enjoyable evening.

I will certainly post a review as information about Med cruises seems fairly sparse on this board.

Wacktie, have done 3 Azamara cruises. We have done two in the Western Med cruises with a similar itinerary to your cruise in a couple of days. Our favourite port of call was Sanary Sur Mer. Just beautiful, with none of the glitz of St Tropez or Monaco. Just a pleasure to wander around and beautiful views from the coast path. I hope your weather is good as I understand Quest had a little problem in Monaco recently. If your Azamazing evening is in the Oceonography Musuem in Monaco you will have a very enjoyable evening.

Our Azamazing evening is in Marseilles, at a chateau. We're in Monaco the day before the F1 Practice starts, so I guess that's why it's not there. Sanary Sur Mer sounds wonderful, and will be even better if the weather is kind. Yes, I have read about the docking incident. One person's report sounds a little scary. I'll look forward to reading your review!

• 1 month later...

Hi Mrs Miggins, Have you posted a review of your Royal Clipper cruise yet? I'm looking forward to reading it. We loved our 2nd Azamara cruise, but I confess that I haven't yet written my review.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry havent written review yet. Just got back from Lemnos in Greece to visit my daughter working as a Nanny at a Mark Warner resort.

This board is so quiet that not sure I want to write a full review anyway but will write a few lines about this lovely trip of a lifetime.

Our only problem was a ridiculous pick up time from our Rome hotel, arranged by the Royal Clipper GSA. This dropped us at Civitavecchia at 11.30 when we learned that there was absolutely no embarkation until 4.

It may suffice to say that we had a great time. Royal Clipper is a wonderful ship. Cabin was very good and spacious. Lovely beds which we asked to be separated as recommended somewhere on this board. Otherwise it meant that person next to the wall had to climb over the other one to get in and out!

Staff were really great - nearly as good as Azamara. Food plentiful and good but not quite so "arranged" as on Azamara.

Itinerary was lovely. First port Palmarola, lovely little port. Followed by tender trips around one of the Islands with goats running about on near vertical cliffs.

Sorrento - long day in port - we went to Herculaneum.

Amalfi, got the bus to Ravello - bit of a panic on the way back as an accident in town stopped all traffic and we had to get a taxi to the outskirts and then leg it down the hill to the ship. The ship then put on tenders around the ship with all the sails down so that we could all get loads of photos.

We missed Taormina as there was a one and a half metre swell which meant tendering was impossible. So we sailed on to Catania. Very interesting, a bit like a small Naples. We liked it but many were disappointed although they could have got a taxi for about 80 euros.

Lipari also lovely - picturesque town, nice shops. Sailing past Stromboli at night is fabulous.

Entertainment minimal. Just one guy who played piano and then did a disco at night. We had a quiz, a staff concert. All rather amateur but very good natured.

The weather was lovely but not ideal for sailing as the sea was calm and we had little wind. This rather suited us but not the keen sailers.

The sailaways complete with music are magical even though we knew the engines were probably powering us.

There were 148 of us onboard. I would say biggest percentage German, then American, British and Australian.

If there are any particular questions - let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Pam

Our only problem was a ridiculous pick up time from our Rome hotel, arranged by the Royal Clipper GSA. This dropped us at Civitavecchia at 11.30 when we learned that there was absolutely no embarkation until 4.

Hi Pam, Thanks for your review comments. One initial question re the above - did they allow you to check in your bags before 4pm? Our flight (booked by Star Clippers) arrives in Venice before noon and sitting on our bags at the dockside before being allowed to board wouldn't be a good start to our holiday!

Hi, we arrived really early and the security staff allowed us to leave our baggage in the departure area, but it was in not "checked in". We arrived back at 3.30 and there were around 20 people waiting but official check in did not start until 4.

It was really annoying to miss our planned further day in Rome and I am still waiting for some sort of explanation from Fred Olsen the Starclipper GSA.

Ridiculous pick up and drop off times seem to feature in SC arranged tours - read the cuba cruise thread - being dropped off 2-3 hours ahead of embarkation at Cienfuegos port with no shade or facilities was not fun ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And the four plus hour delay on disembarkation when the SC transfers failed to arrive was worse. Head office response was non existent and the need for compensation barely acknowledged ...

Not good

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Am writing on behalf of my friend (she doesn't speak any English). She will be on Royal Clipper sailing from Venice on July 23rd. She also had an early flight in and transfer from airport to vessel.

Is there any sort of comfortable place to wait/have a drink/some food even while waiting for check-in to start at 4 pm?

The brochure she received states that water, tea and coffee are free. I read on this forum that there is some water and coffee/tea available near the tropical bar. Does this mean no water offered at lunch/dinner and no coffee?

Thank you.

Am writing on behalf of my friend (she doesn't speak any English). She will be on Royal Clipper sailing from Venice on July 23rd. She also had an early flight in and transfer from airport to vessel.

Is there any sort of comfortable place to wait/have a drink/some food even while waiting for check-in to start at 4 pm?

The brochure she received states that water, tea and coffee are free. I read on this forum that there is some water and coffee/tea available near the tropical bar. Does this mean no water offered at lunch/dinner and no coffee?

Thank you.

I don't know the specifics for her embarkation point, but there has always been some sort of refreshments (provided by Star Clippers) at the port during the check-in process. I have embarked in French Polynesia (Papeete), Costa Rica, and now in Monaco, and they have provided water bottles and fruit at the minimum.

Once onboard there is water available at/near the Tropical Bar and a coffee/tea station available 24/7. In the dining room they will bring you water, coffee and tea upon request. At breakfast there are also several juices to choose from.

She should have no problems, really! :)

Hi,

Our September cruise on Royal Clipper also starts in Venice and our flight (arranged by Star Clippers) will arrive late morning/noon, so we expect our transfer (also arranged by Star Clippers) to get us to the ship early afternoon. Therefore I have the same concerns. It won't be a good start to an expensive (for us) holiday if we have to spend a few hours guarding our luggage. I am hoping that we will be able to check it in and, as a minimum, go off in search of lunch. I believe Royal Clipper uses a very small port area in Venice, so please can someone advise?

If nobody knows the answer now, maybe Lemailu could post an answer on here after the friend has returned from her cruise? It would be most appreciated. If it's not good news, at least we'll be prepared.

Many thanks.

Hi,

Our September cruise on Royal Clipper also starts in Venice and our flight (arranged by Star Clippers) will arrive late morning/noon, so we expect our transfer (also arranged by Star Clippers) to get us to the ship early afternoon. Therefore I have the same concerns. It won't be a good start to an expensive (for us) holiday if we have to spend a few hours guarding our luggage. I am hoping that we will be able to check it in and, as a minimum, go off in search of lunch. I believe Royal Clipper uses a very small port area in Venice, so please can someone advise?

If nobody knows the answer now, maybe Lemailu could post an answer on here after the friend has returned from her cruise? It would be most appreciated. If it's not good news, at least we'll be prepared.

Many thanks.

Hopefully they have a place to hold your luggage at the port.

In Monaco they tagged our bags and put them in the holding area in the back and we were free to go sight-see until it was time to start the embarkation process.

Hopefully they have a place to hold your luggage at the port.

In Monaco they tagged our bags and put them in the holding area in the back and we were free to go sight-see until it was time to start the embarkation process.

Sailed Star Flyer from Palma on 12 July this year. Embarkation was 4pm, but when I arrived early afternoon staff were on hand to take and tag any luggage you wanted to leave, which was taken away for safe keeping and was outside your cabin on embarkation. A stand with water and fruit juice and a selection of fruit was available in the waiting area for those who wished to wait there, toilets were available a short distance away.

• 1 month later...
Our first cruise on Royal Clipper. On past cruises with other companies they have supplied excellent shampoo/conditioner/shower gel etc. as well as beach towels. Have read Star Clipper brochure but cannot find any mention of what is supplied. Also our recent cruises have been on Azamara which include most drinks. Are there any wine packages? what about coffee - water - fruit juice etc. Is the onboard account in Euros or USD?

Also I have read on another site that it is wise to choose the single bed option (we are cat 2) as this seems to give extra storage under the beds and avoids the need to climb over the other person to get in/out of bed.

Any advice much appreciated.

Looking forward to this cruise and a new experience.

Though I have not sailed Royal Clipper (planning to on Jan. 24, 2015 sailing), from what I have read there are no liquor packages (or wine), bottled water and soda pop (coke, etc.) are extra. Tea and coffee are complimentary. On board account is in Euros on the Royal Clipper only (star clipper is USD). We are booked on cat. 3 which will be set up as one bed, but gives more storage than lower categories. Interior space in sq. ft. is as follows per a booking agent: cat. 6 (inside) = 104, cat. 5 = 118, cat 4 = 124, cats. 2&3 = 145. As for toiletries, I did see that the suites provide that, but I have not seen any mention in the other categories. I always bring my own shampoo and conditioner (in small bottle) and a liquid soap. This is a sailing ship and we did consider Wind Star also which is more "luxurious" with those amenities included plus robe/slippers, but we want the very casual sailing experience with the ability to participate which is why we chose Royal Clipper. I'm fairly sure that a towel is provided, but I plan to ask (Wind Star does provide). You can call and talk to an agent at Star Clippers at 800-442-0551.

Sorry, I have to correct you.. We have sailed all of the ships several times. And the onboard account on all of the ships is in Euro. Of course you can pay with your CC. Also, towels und bath amenities are provided. Please read the complete cataloge for Information. Also about the sizes of the different catagories. Maybe your Agent hasn't travelled with them.