Things people do that make it obvious they are cruise virgins

acesgame

Packing entirely too much junk. I mean really, some of the packing lists I have seen are insane. I have traveled two weeks at a time out of a carry-on...

QUILTY 9 Cruises and I still overpack.

Packing entirely too much junk. I mean really, some of the packing lists I have seen are insane. I have traveled two weeks at a time out of a carry-on...

I've cruised a month with just 1 carry-on & like you I still bring too much. I plan to take a 35 day cruise & will still take a carry-on.

Was at Mendenhall Glacier tour when I left my Ameribag sitting on a bench while taking my jacket off. Luckily I had my lanyard with my license and ship keycard on it. So it was easy getting back on the ship. I reported it to the service desk and it was returned to me that evening, all intact. Was glad my cruising partner had given me the lanyard.

I got a laugh or two reading this thread. I also am not a newbie, but I wear a lanyard on sea days (it's pretty). I carry a small cross shoulder purse on shore. I almost always have a camera with me, I am a scrapbooker, so you never know what may make a good layout until you are home with thousands of pictures, lol. I HAVE to get a sail away drink, it's part of the experience. I know port from starboard, but I too get lost at least the first day. Love getting to the shows early for a good seat. And my biggest problem is always overpacking. I just like to bring choices!

• 5 weeks later...

People have no idea just how strong the sun is!!

Another easy tell is people who stack their plates mountain high with food at the buffet.... They get all excited & forget... You CAN go back & get more you know! LOLOLOL!

Edited by Pack My Bags

I've cruised once before with CCL and going on my second in September. I too have done some of the very things that have been listed. I am glad I packed to much because on our travel down to florida all our luggage got wet in a monsoon and luckily I was able to get some of it washed on board. I will not overpack this time. I took like five towels cuz I didn't know they were provided. I will say that I will continue to wear my KCCO lanyard cuz I like it and it represents who I am no matter who makes fun...I am there to enjoy myself...if you get a laugh then I'm glad I was able to assist you in that...also I do not carry purses...if I don't have pockets then it stays locked up in the safe...but I don't wear stuff without a pocket unless I'm in a dress..And I'm still gonna rock my KCCO lanyard! I make sure I have packed all needed toiletries just in case...I have a family of three girls so you never know when Mother Nature will appear, and I always get lost....but that is nothing unusual! I don't plan nothing because there is never nothing to do...I do exactly what I want...because I'm on vacation! 😎🍻

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just booked our second cruise - only a year to wait!!! I probably did everything a "newbie" does last cruise. Didn't use a lanyard though because I didn't know it was an easy way to carry your card. Didn't know it is called an ss card. Carried a small purse (not a bag) because it held tissues, card, lipstick, mints - all those things you might need when not in your cabin. Didn't feel like a newbie just enjoyed every single moment of the cruise oohing and ahhing at every possible thing. Lucky we were on a NCL cruise and the dolphins on the carpet faced the front of the ship so I knew which way to go to our cabin. Counting the days to our next cruise and I really don't care if I look like a newbie because I know I will be having the time of my life. Love reading the posts.

Just booked our second cruise - only a year to wait!!! I probably did everything a "newbie" does last cruise. Didn't use a lanyard though because I didn't know it was an easy way to carry your card. Didn't know it is called an ss card. Carried a small purse (not a bag) because it held tissues, card, lipstick, mints - all those things you might need when not in your cabin. Didn't feel like a newbie just enjoyed every single moment of the cruise oohing and ahhing at every possible thing. Lucky we were on a NCL cruise and the dolphins on the carpet faced the front of the ship so I knew which way to go to our cabin. Counting the days to our next cruise and I really don't care if I look like a newbie because I know I will be having the time of my life. Love reading the posts.

Not using a lanyard doesn't make you a newbie

It is a choice and I don't use one and am anything but a newbie

Cruising is a personal experience

Enjoy it your way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have spent a very enjoyable two hours reading the posts here. DH and I have been on one previous cruise to Alaska on Carnival and now going to Caribbean on HAL. We travel with his sister and her hubby. So...

I will use a lanyard, have many to choose from.

If I need a purse it will be small over the shoulder/chest so I don't have to handle it.

I travel with camera everywhere so depending on clothes will use small purse. I usually loop the long lanyard through a belt loop and stow it in my pocket.

I over pack. But when else will I get to use all the cool "clearance" deals I find and never wear since I am now retired.

Don't wear heels anyway but will pack more than my usual two pairs of shoes.

Have fun you all and thanks for the laughs.

thats a good one.....my friend went to the art auction and happen to be talking to someone with her HAND IN THE AIR.....and bought a WORK OF ART.........they called her every day of the cruise telling her to come down and pay for it ......scared her to death!!!!

• 3 months later...

I defy anyone (newbie or not) to read through this thread and not have a couple of laughs. We are about to hit our second cruise and I am determined to maintain the 'new' feel. Will explore the ship, wear a lanyard for my SS card and enjoy everything. I almost wish we could 'like' some of these posts, because several made me laugh.

I think we need an equal and opposite thread - how to spot the old salts!

Happy cruising everyone