Star Clippers Leaving Costa Rica?

cluso

Just read the "Is Anyone going to Cuba?" thread. Looks like maybe SC is rethinking the Flyer's schedule after some "incidents" on the first Cuba sailing in Feb 2014. Interesting read starting on page 3. :eek:

They were in due in Cuba from Late November 2014. We are booked 11 Jan 2015 on the Cuba week cruise on Flyer.

Have been following the Cuba thread with dismay. Have paid a deposit so now really worried. Wonder what our options are........and rights.

• 4 weeks later...
As of today, Star Flyer has a big gap in her schedule---23 Nov 2014 to 30 Mar 2015---nothing there. That's where I would expect to see Costa Rica. Hmmm...

I, for one, would be very interested in a Costa Rica sailing trip. I would love to get into some of the beautiful small bays on the Pacific side, i.e., Drake Bay, etc. Please post information if anyone becomes aware of Costa Rica trips for the winter of 2015. Thank you.

If you get the chance to do the Costa Rica trip, do it! We did it last November on Star Flyer. However, we've also done it on Windstar. Both lines offer a great Costa Rica sailing. If you can't do CR via Star Flyer, do check out Windstar. Star Flyer's was best, as far as I was concerned, because it began in Panama and ended in Costa Rica. Windstar's begins and ends in CR, but if you are lucky, will include a stop in Nicaragua. Both times we've sailed Windstar in CR our Nicaragua stop was canceled: once due to Denguay Fever in Nicaragua (many years ago) and then due to very very high winds that forced the captain to turn the ship around and head back to CR. Didn't matter, tho......those Windstar cruises were very good. Itineraries for both SC and WS include lots of small islands. But do know that diving/snorkling is really not much on the Pacific side, due to all the churn in the waters. But there are plenty of varied options for having fun!

As of today, Star Flyer has a big gap in her schedule---23 Nov 2014 to 30 Mar 2015---nothing there. That's where I would expect to see Costa Rica. Hmmm...

Don't shoot the messenger but Mark Carlson at Star Clippers just informed me that SC will not be returning to Costa Rica in 2015.

Bummer.

I don't understand why taking hits on Cuba sailings would impact CR sailings. All the negatives are about the Cuba trips, but Costa Rica sailings have been super, especially the Panama to CR itinerary.