Using a Quad Copter to get footage onboard

This may seem like a crazy question, but here it goes. My friend recently purchased a small quad copter that he can attach his GoPro to. He's gotten some pretty amazing aerial footage from it. He was wondering if it would be a problem to bring in onboard a ship and get some footage while its leaving port, during a sea day, or of the ship while he's on land during an excursion. If allowed, he would probably only use it once or twice for a maximum of 20 minutes each time as not to be annoying. Is there an official policy regarding this? I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or input.

For reference, the one he bought looks like this. Pretty small and quiet.

DJI-Phantom-GoPro-Camera1.jpg

That's awesome, and the exact type of footage we're hoping to get. I just wasn't sure if it would be an issue with the cruise line or if the passenger would be at risk of getting booted off for something. I was hoping to ask around here before going directly to the cruise line.

This may seem like a crazy question, but here it goes. My friend recently purchased a small quad copter that he can attach his GoPro to. He's gotten some pretty amazing aerial footage from it. He was wondering if it would be a problem to bring in onboard a ship and get some footage while its leaving port, during a sea day, or of the ship while he's on land during an excursion. If allowed, he would probably only use it once or twice for a maximum of 20 minutes each time as not to be annoying. Is there an official policy regarding this? I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or input.

For reference, the one he bought looks like this. Pretty small and quiet.

DJI-Phantom-GoPro-Camera1.jpg

Saw this at St. Croix last March. One of the guests on Adventure brought it.

If the ship is moving in open water there can be anywhere from 10-50 MPH wind across the open decks, so controlling or retrieving it would be problematic if you could bring it onboard (which is doubtful). Even if you could get it launched, there are so many wires/cables/obstructions on the superstructure of a ship, that all you may be able to retrieve are the pieces of it after it crashes into one or more of those.

If it was near me I would find something to throw and hope it goes in the water.

I don't know the rules about the drone, but I know Royal frowns upon people throwing things off the ship :rolleyes: plus I doubt you're that good of a shot :p

If it was near me I would find something to throw and hope it goes in the water.

Do you also break photographer's cameras if they point in your direction? There was a CT lady that was arrested for attacking 17 year old kid flying one over a public beach. Nice to know that mentality also likes cruising.

ref: http://abcnews.go.com/US/conn-woman-arrested-assaulting-teenager-flying-drone/story?id=24076891

They may let you bring it but I doubt you'd get away with flying it on the ship while it was moving. Too many people and too much in the way, not to mention the winds.

I doubt they'd have a problem w/you bringing it off on a private island like haiti or the bahamas and getting footage though. You might get away with some onboard footage while the ship was in a port as well with less people and wind.

I'd call and see what they say, I'm kind of curious as well.

I seriously doubt they would knowingly permit flying it anywhere near the ship, moving or not. Too many liability concerns.

I agree with Bob on this, lots of potential issues on a ship with a few thousand guests if your friend was to accidentally run it into passengers or crash it into part of the ship. While it is relatively small, I do not think they would want to take the chance of any accidents.

Since you're asking for opinion, I would say there not be a problem bring it on board, but there would be a problem using it on board.

However, I like the concept and would like one for my GoPro, but as stated, it is a hot topic right now.

I agree with Bob on this, lots of potential issues on a ship with a few thousand guests if your friend was to accidentally run it into passengers or crash it into part of the ship. While it is relatively small, I do not think they would want to take the chance of any accidents.

Agree, the potential for guest injury should something unplanned or unforeseen happen is too high. I have a small RC helo (120SR) and I accidentally let it get away from me while standing close and left me with a nasty cut. I can't imagine what kind of bodily harm a four blade drone could do and I'm sure Royal wouldn't want the potential liability. But, as someone suggested, contact RCI and find out their position on it.

Edited by joepeka

Google FAA and Camera drones - I just did and a recent US ruling says the drones are not illegal BUT taking photos with them is! Now as to being on the high seas well then do not forget the laws in the registery of the ship

Google FAA and Camera drones - I just did and a recent US ruling says the drones are not illegal BUT taking photos with them is! Now as to being on the high seas well then do not forget the laws in the registery of the ship

I've only found mention of commercial use of camera drones being banned, but can't find anything about personal use. Can you provide a link?

Also, do the Bahamas have such a ban, as that is where RCI ships are registered? And if they do, do you know for a fact that that would apply in international waters?

Edited by time4u2go