Shower phobic toddler

kimmy_bos

You need to buy a small plastic blow-up pool! The ones that are about 2-3 feet wide. These will fit in the shower stall and your wee girl can have her bath in that.

I found that both my kids would amuse themselves for ages with a small amount of water in their "tub"... usually long enough for me to finish unpacking (as the door was propped open and I could see them the whole time)

Also, you can take the pool on deck for your toddler to use as little ones who still use diapers can't go in the regular pools. (your wee girl may be potty trained, but at age 2 mine weren't so we had to improvise!) Sit it next to your deck chair in a shady spot, use a small bucket to fetch pool water to fill it, and let her splash with a few toys! Then when she's finished, dump the water into one of the deck drains (just not back into the pool!) and everyone is happy. I wouldn't even deflate it after we used it - I just hung it on the back of my stroller, took it back to the room, and usually filled it back up with some bubbles and clean water to wash the salty water off the kids again.

One of my best cruise investments... not back for something out of the dollar store!

Edited by Seraphine

You need to buy a small plastic blow-up pool! The ones that are about 2-3 feet wide. These will fit in the shower stall and your wee girl can have her bath in that.

I found that both my kids would amuse themselves for ages with a small amount of water in their "tub"... usually long enough for me to finish unpacking (as the door was propped open and I could see them the whole time)

Also, you can take the pool on deck for your toddler to use as little ones who still use diapers can't go in the regular pools. (your wee girl may be potty trained, but at age 2 mine weren't so we had to improvise!) Sit it next to your deck chair in a shady spot, use a small bucket to fetch pool water to fill it, and let her splash with a few toys! Then when she's finished, dump the water into one of the deck drains (just not back into the pool!) and everyone is happy. I wouldn't even deflate it after we used it - I just hung it on the back of my stroller, took it back to the room, and usually filled it back up with some bubbles and clean water to wash the salty water off the kids again.

One of my best cruise investments... not back for something out of the dollar store!

Awesome idea

Thank you so much

We are starting to think about potty training but not going to be quite there by the cruise so again amazing advice x

I'm glad it helped! Here's a picture of our little girl in her pool - she adored it, and was happy to splash for hours!

CIMG3347.jpg

(I promise I had a hat on her... you can see it floating in the water!)

You'll often see babies/toddlers in the pools, but they really shouldn't be in there. Staff seem reluctant to do anything about it, and the signage is often in a non-visible place. Yet if someone has an accident, then the pool has to be closed and scrubbed, which means no one can use it that day. This applies to all ships so it's not just a cruiseline rule. So this was our way of letting her have her fun and still keeping above board... lots of people would stop to talk to us saying what a clever idea it was (and it's one that I got from this board, many years ago!)

Good luck with your cruise planning and have a fantastic time!

Edited by Seraphine

Target has a blow up tub shapred like a duck that fits in the shower. It has a plastic piece on the bottom that sticks it to the bathroom or shower wall when not in use. But any of the blow up bath tubs you can find should fit in the shower. I brought a plastic cup to rinse the soap off (and for them to play with).

Best,

Mia

I'm glad it helped! Here's a picture of our little girl in her pool - she adored it, and was happy to splash for hours!

CIMG3347.jpg

(I promise I had a hat on her... you can see it floating in the water!)

You'll often see babies/toddlers in the pools, but they really shouldn't be in there. Staff seem reluctant to do anything about it, and the signage is often in a non-visible place. Yet if someone has an accident, then the pool has to be closed and scrubbed, which means no one can use it that day. This applies to all ships so it's not just a cruiseline rule. So this was our way of letting her have her fun and still keeping above board... lots of people would stop to talk to us saying what a clever idea it was (and it's one that I got from this board, many years ago!)

Good luck with your cruise planning and have a fantastic time!

Aww that is a lovely picture- may I ask what the best way to fill

Up the pool

On deck is?

Target has a blow up tub shapred like a duck that fits in the shower. It has a plastic piece on the bottom that sticks it to the bathroom or shower wall when not in use. But any of the blow up bath tubs you can find should fit in the shower. I brought a plastic cup to rinse the soap off (and for them to play with).

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

We don't have target in the uk :( I am going to start doing a hunt of the £1 shops and if not will try online x x

That pool will be too big to fit in the bottom of the shower, the showers are really small. Can you find a blow up tub instead?

You can possibly put it on the floor in the bathroom instead of in the shower itself, but it will be really tight.

Kimmy, ask for a plastic bucket from the bar (they serve beer in them) and just keep it for the cruise duration. Fill the pool up with that. Alternatively if you have a large plastic shopping bag (a heavier one, like from a department store) you can scoop water into that and fill your pool in about two shots.

The one you ordered looks a little big, but keep an eye out for a little one. Thankfully they aren't expensive - I think we've gone through 2 or 3 over the past 6 years of cruising.

That pool will be too big to fit in the bottom of the shower, the showers are really small. Can you find a blow up tub instead?

You can possibly put it on the floor in the bathroom instead of in the shower itself, but it will be really tight.

Thanks for the tip - we could just use this one for the deck and I will look for a smaller one for bath time x

Kimmy, ask for a plastic bucket from the bar (they serve beer in them) and just keep it for the cruise duration. Fill the pool up with that. Alternatively if you have a large plastic shopping bag (a heavier one, like from a department store) you can scoop water into that and fill your pool in about two shots.

The one you ordered looks a little big, but keep an eye out for a little one. Thankfully they aren't expensive - I think we've gone through 2 or 3 over the past 6 years of cruising.

Great tip thanks

Will keep my eye out for a little one x

Can you order from Amazon? We had one similar to this on our cruise when our dd was 22 months.

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Kirby-Inflatable-Tub/dp/B001MTELJY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407103550&sr=8-2&keywords=blow+up+baby+bathtub

In March she had just turned three and we were staying for a week in FL in a Marriott that I knew only had showers and then on the ship for a week. I figured she'd just have to make it work because she would not have fit in that little tub again and I didn't want to haul it there either. I held her in the shower in the Marriott the first day and used the bucket from the sand toys to rinse her off. She cried the whole time. :( But, the next day she was excited to try it again and was so proud of herself for doing it. By the time we were on the ship she wanted to stay in there longer than I did. On most ships the showers are adjustable in height. I got it just at her height and she loved it. I would be a great place to give it a try and see how she does. If it's a disaster, you'll have the tub.

I have found a couple of reasonable baths on eBay so think we will probably try and take both the pool and a bath.

We have tried on a couple of occasions to get her into the shower but sadly everytime has just led to hysterics!

I have found a couple of reasonable baths on eBay so think we will probably try and take both the pool and a bath.

We have tried on a couple of occasions to get her into the shower but sadly everytime has just led to hysterics!

Honestly no reason to take both. The bath will do double duty and then you don't have two blow ups in your room. And the great thing about the shape of the bath is you can fit it between two deck chairs so it's out of the way.

Best,

Mia

My son would often try things on holiday that he would totally resist at home. It might be worth trying your little one with the shower on board if she seems amenable to the idea at the time. Whatever, I hope you have a great cruise :)

On our last cruise my daughter was just over 2. She was potty trained so pool wasn't a problem but the shower was. Boy did she scream, despite me holding her, the water only hitting her back and I even gave her a pacifier! My husband was horrified and thought we'd thrown off. Thankfully it was a family cruise and neighboring cabins were grandparents and aunt/uncle. It actually became a family joke. This next time she'll be 4 but baby sis will be 15 mos so I'm getting an inflatable tub - will use on deck for younger daughter and in bath/on balcony for both.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

We are travelling on a 12 night cruise on September - my 2 year old daughter is completely shower phobic and there is no tub in our room (balcony - rc serenade)

Any ideas on how we are going to wash emilie?

Have you considered upgrading to a JS if there are any available? The bathroom would have a tub and you would have that much more space in the room, especially for 12 nights.

A couple years back we had the same issue with our son. We did these things.

1. At the store (before leaving)you can buy disposable Bath wipes that all you have to do is get wet. Soap is in the wipe. It cuts out the time of getting a rag wet, pouring soap on it etc.

2. Most cruises we been on have adjustable shower heads that come off the wall to be hand held. Move it to the lowest position on take off wall. Pretend it's a squirt gun.

3. We also used a ice bucket to fill with water and poured it over him when the spray handle freaked him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums