Lobster Tails Apparently Gone on NCL

MATHA531

On our June 7th Gem cruise we got awesome lobster tails the first night in the Grand Pacific. On the Breakaway cruise in Dec they had lobster in the buffet on the 2nd night. We didn't get any but I heard they were nice tails. Not sure if there is a fleetwide policy on this as of now. Maybe the NCL poster will answer?

On our June 7th Gem cruise we got awesome lobster tails the first night in the Grand Pacific. On the Breakaway cruise in Dec they had lobster in the buffet on the 2nd night. We didn't get any but I heard they were nice tails. Not sure if there is a fleetwide policy on this as of now. Maybe the NCL poster will answer?

Hi. You might not have gone through the whole thread. All the evidence suggests they moved lobster tails from the mdr to the buffet sometime early this year and are gradually replacing the lobster tails in the buffet with a lobster pasta in the buffet gradually. Nobody has stated it one way or the other although the Hotel Director on the Star told me early in June this was going on and on one of the reviews of the 22 June Breakaway cruise from NYC to Bermuda, somebody reported that was the first cruise where there were no lobster tails in the buffet but the lobster pasta and I can report that on my cruise on 06 July on the Breakaway, that indeed was the case.

The evidence may be circumstantial but I don't see how one can reach any other conclusion that as the new menus NCL is claiming is so much improved is introduced gradually on ship after ship, lobster tails are an endangered species. I do hope that the suits will at least own up to it.

Hi. You might not have gone through the whole thread. All the evidence suggests they moved lobster tails from the mdr to the buffet sometime early this year and are gradually replacing the lobster tails in the buffet with a lobster pasta in the buffet gradually. Nobody has stated it one way or the other although the Hotel Director on the Star told me early in June this was going on and on one of the reviews of the 22 June Breakaway cruise from NYC to Bermuda, somebody reported that was the first cruise where there were no lobster tails in the buffet but the lobster pasta and I can report that on my cruise on 06 July on the Breakaway, that indeed was the case.

The evidence may be circumstantial but I don't see how one can reach any other conclusion that as the new menus NCL is claiming is so much improved is introduced gradually on ship after ship, lobster tails are an endangered species. I do hope that the suits will at least own up to it.

Was just posting my recent experiences. Sorry, we only get to cruise twice a year.

Edited by P&Lcruising

I received a welcome email July 15 which included this statement: SCRUMPTIOUS LOBSTER IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM, NO BIB REQUIRED. Please tell me they're not referring to lobster pasta! That's very misleading!

Lobster night is history.

We just sailed the GEM last week, July 12-19, 2014. When I asked if lobster tail night was still the first night at sea, I was told that it had been discontinued -- starting with OUR cruise. :(

We just sailed the GEM last week, July 12-19, 2014. When I asked if lobster tail night was still the first night at sea, I was told that it had been discontinued -- starting with OUR cruise. :(

But I'm sure you went to the buffet and found the lobster pasta delicious.

I have sailed only 3 times with NCL. I enjoyed the first night dinner. I order the roast beef and have two 1/2 tails as that is how they serve. Was served rubber the first time and sent back to kitchen. Came back cooked correctly. Keep in mind these tails have been frozen. Heck, the may not even be North Atlantic lobsters.

The point is dining on lobster while on a cruise is traditional and if NCL drops lobster night then they are really "NICKLE and DIME" the passengers. Did you know I can buy at retail 4 ounce lobster tails that were frozen for $5.00? At the wholesale level I am sure they buy in huge volume. So, for much less than $5.00 they take off the menu. :mad:

Just spoke to pre-cruise concierge desk for an upcoming cruise in September on the Gem. She confirmed that NCL no longer offers lobster tails in main dining rooms or buffet. It may be an experiment taking them off, and they may come back again.

As posted here previously, we liked to order the tails as an appetizer in our cabin after sail-away, with glasses of champagne. They always came hot and perfectly cooked. It was just an additional treat at the start of our cruise vacation, and because they were served that night in the main dining rooms, there was no extra charge.

Though we're not devastated that we can no longer do this, I'll miss this experience. Had the lobster pasta many years ago on the Dawn at La Cucina, and frankly, was not impressed. Very little lobster and no lobster taste. But that was at least 4 years ago. Times and menus change, so will try it again.

Just got back on Saturday from the Gem no more Lobster tails.:mad:

This bums me out. While I don't sail for the lobster, as someone said earlier, I don't typically order it when we go out and look forward to it on our cruises. When we sailed the Star at Christmas, I asked every night in the MDR when it would be and I was always given a day - tomorrow, Wednesday, etc. - and it never happened. I just wish they would have told me on day one "I'm so sorry, we no longer serve lobster....." I'm not surprised because I see cutbacks in all industries, so I get it. But I like my lobster on my cruises. At least I know now. And if there happens to be some - lobster pasta or the real deal - it'll be a pleasant surprise. :D

This bums me out. While I don't sail for the lobster, as someone said earlier, I don't typically order it when we go out and look forward to it on our cruises. When we sailed the Star at Christmas, I asked every night in the MDR when it would be and I was always given a day - tomorrow, Wednesday, etc. - and it never happened. I just wish they would have told me on day one "I'm so sorry, we no longer serve lobster....." I'm not surprised because I see cutbacks in all industries, so I get it. But I like my lobster on my cruises. At least I know now. And if there happens to be some - lobster pasta or the real deal - it'll be a pleasant surprise. :D

I got a call 'Kathy" from NCL today about cruising again with them. I was specific with my questions as it relates to lobster and she said will be on menu but not sure if first night or Captains night. So we have conflicting reports. I am not surprised. Took NCL about six hours for customer service to be updated on a schedule change of the Pearl dropping SF and adding Seattle as a POC. Read about the change on CC. Poor communications, like all large companys.

I'm a little confused. I thought I just read that NCL was adding so much more to their MDR menus then why discontinue the lobster? I thought they were looking to improve the whole dining experience since it was becoming a bit boring. Hang in there maybe its not gone forever.:rolleyes:

There's an urban legend in the airline industry claims that the former CEO of American Airlines, Bob Crandall, once saved his company $100,000 a year by calling for the removal of a single olive from every in-flight salad. As the story goes, some of these savings came from lower fuel burn thanks to fewer olives, and thus a lighter load on each flight in the American network.

I'm in the "lobster night was a joke and we're better off without it" camp. However, NCL seems to have embarked on a "how many olives can we remove?" campaign over the last couple years. This is precisely why I quit Carnival after just one cruise. Carnival seems to have optimized their cost/benefit for just about every aspect of their operation. They provided the minimum acceptable level of quality whenever possible. People who had been cruising for a while were less inclined to see the totality of this. Like the story of the frog being boiled alive in the pot, the slight changes over time eased them into complacency. "Yeah, maybe the food is a little worse, but that won't make me change my mind about Carnival." "Okay, maybe the entertainment has dipped, but that won't make me change my mind about Carnival." "I admit the staff isn't as accommodating as they used to be, but I still like Carnival." Eventually all those little things add up.

I honestly can't wait for my cruise on the Breakaway. I think it's going to be great and I think I'm going to like the bigger ship. I got the specialty dining package for free and I made reservations for the shows and dining in advance. I'm very curious how the NCL experience will compare to 2 years ago. It may not be a fair comparison considering I'll be having lobster from Le Bistro (maybe twice) and I may never have to visit a buffet during the entire cruise, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

How did you make dining reservations in advance?

How did you make dining reservations in advance?

On the NCL website. I forget when they become available for your cruise. They allow about 1/3 of the available seating to be booked pre-cruise. I strongly suggest you make reservations lest you get shut out for entertainment or dining you want to do.

:cool:We love lobster.....That being said we could care less if they serve it on the ship. After 15 cruises I've yet to have "great lobster". on a ship If we want good lobster a cruise ship is the last thing that comes to mind. For those of you who act like its the end of the world if they don't serve lobster you need some help ;) Go cruise , have fun and don't let a tiny lobster tail, not cooked properly keep you from having fun.:D:D

We are having a late day BBQ Seafood-Lobster-Feast and our supermarket has live, fresh Maine "Selects +" at $8.99 / lb. - and we are going to pig out, just like before. For us living along the coast, eating tiny "lobster" tails are not among the reasons for us to go on a cruise, IMO.

Here, I haven't seen these being served lately on any cruise ships. This was hers and mine was bigger.

Maine-SDC72.jpg

But, I'll happily get my share of smoked salmon at breakfast and enjoy salmon in the MDR - and it is actually more expensive, and, better & healthier eating for its nutrients.

Yawn, if they served soft-shell crabs from the shores of Maryland - you will get my attention. They are in-season this time of the year and spiced it up with those chilly & curry powder secret mixes, yummy !!

Is the smoked salmon wild or farmed raised? If it is farmed raised, I don't know about the "better & healthier eating for its nutrients."

Are the Lobster Tails in Cagneys "restaurant quality" or the smaller type like served in MDR?

No lobster tails in cagneys-- only lobster and shrimp mixed with linguine. We thought it was lobster and shrimp with linguine, and it wasn't that good. Rest of food wonderful.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

No lobster tails in cagneys-- only lobster and shrimp mixed with linguine. We thought it was lobster and shrimp with linguine, and it wasn't that good. Rest of food wonderful.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I ordered that same dish at Cagney's on my first night on the BA back in May. Mine smelled really fishy and wasn't very pleasant. It seemed to me like it might have something to do with it being the first night- maybe the 'new stuff' wasn't being used yet. :confused: At any rate, I'll order steak rather than seafood on embarkation night from now on. ;) (Hubby's filet looked fabulous!)