First-timer - what plugs to use and iPhone question?

Sionnach30

Hi

Husband and I are booked in for Navigator of the Seas Eastern Med cruise on 3rd June this year.

I would like to bring my hair straightener and would also like to charge my iphone. My question is, which adaptor to use when I plug them in? American, European or British?

Also, for any British/European travellers - can you use 3G roaming on the ship to access email/internet, or are you better off justs biting the bullet and buying wifi access? I realise that roaming would be prohibitively expensive for Americans, but I wondered how it is for us?

Thanks for any help you can give. Still haven't told my husband about the trip - it's a birthday surprise! How will I keep it a secret until April???:D

You will need a two pin American adaptor for charging anything.

Your hair straightners will take a little longer then normal to heat up as the current on board is different to UK voltage. So I usually put mine on about an hour before I need them and they are hot enough to do some form of damage to my curls.

As with 3g network you will not get any signal at all whilst at sea. You may get signal when you come in to ports but they will be the local mobile provider. I would call your provider and check to see if they will charge you for roaming.

We turn our phones off the moment we lose signal and don't turn them back on again until we get back to the UK

CK x

Your iphone and other small electronics will charge on either socket, American or European, for your hairstraightners buy a European, 2 round pin with earth on the side, adapter, this will give you the 240v they need to operate like they do at home.

There is data service available for mobile phones on board, but it is very expensive, check with your service provider before using.

Archived