Athens, 2pm arrival; 9 pm departure??

Motorcycle Gma

Our cruise this September docks at 2pm in Athens. Is that too late to head to Acropolis (thick of crowds), or will they be headed elsewhere by then? We've been once, but want to go again and maybe head to the Acropolis museum and to Plaka.

Also, we're in port until 9pm, I thought seeing the Acropolis at sunset might be cool. Anyone done that? Safety issues?? We're thinking of taking the new X80? bus from Piraeus port for 4euro. Wonder if it runs until 8pm also.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Our cruise this September docks at 2pm in Athens. Is that too late to head to Acropolis (thick of crowds), or will they be headed elsewhere by then? We've been once, but want to go again and maybe head to the Acropolis museum and to Plaka.

Also, we're in port until 9pm, I thought seeing the Acropolis at sunset might be cool. Anyone done that? Safety issues?? We're thinking of taking the new X80? bus from Piraeus port for 4euro. Wonder if it runs until 8pm also.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

There are ALWAYS crowd at the Acropolis--but in September, hopefully they will have died down somewhat. I would definitely go to the Acropolis first, ----it also depends on what you want to do in the Plaka area--wander? Eat? You may have time for a short lunch, and then I would go to the Museum...You should have enough time. Worst comes to worse, and there's traffic coming back from Athens to Pireaus, I would just take the train back, then a taxi to the port.

At the very end of the day, the Acropolis does tend to become less crowded. It's a nice time to visit.

As to seeing the Acropolis at sunset, the best places to see it would be from a good rooftop terrace somewhere. The Acropolis Museum has a nice outdoor deck where you can order something to eat or drink and since you want to go there anyway, it might work for you.

Of course, hands-down the most enchanting experience I've had was having a drink on the rooftop bard of the storied Grande Bretagne hotel (on Syntagma Square) at sunset. It is farther from the Acropolis but still has a good view.

Late in the day is a wonderful time to visit the Acropolis. Hopefully it is cooler then, and it certainly is very magical.

We have dined several times at restaurants with views of the Acropolis and when the lights slowly come up in the evenings (in layers taking a few minutes), it is a very memorable experience.

At the very end of the day, the Acropolis does tend to become less crowded. It's a nice time to visit.

As to seeing the Acropolis at sunset, the best places to see it would be from a good rooftop terrace somewhere. The Acropolis Museum has a nice outdoor deck where you can order something to eat or drink and since you want to go there anyway, it might work for you.

Of course, hands-down the most enchanting experience I've had was having a drink on the rooftop bard of the storied Grande Bretagne hotel (on Syntagma Square) at sunset. It is farther from the Acropolis but still has a good view.

I think I have a plan now, thanks. Acropolis visit, Acropolis Museum and drinks on their patio! I would love to go ride the funicular up the mountain too. I will have to research more on that.

Cruisemom42, there is a current warning about Syntagma Square on the Dept. of Labor or whomever's website. Would you still venture there?

In 2010-2011 when I was last in Greece, there were lots of strikes, bad economy, warnings, etc. Has that all been resolved? I haven't seen much about this on CC now. I hope things are better. Please advise. Thanks

I think I have a plan now, thanks. Acropolis visit, Acropolis Museum and drinks on their patio! I would love to go ride the funicular up the mountain too. I will have to research more on that.

Cruisemom42, there is a current warning about Syntagma Square on the Dept. of Labor or whomever's website. Would you still venture there?

In 2010-2011 when I was last in Greece, there were lots of strikes, bad economy, warnings, etc. Has that all been resolved? I haven't seen much about this on CC now. I hope things are better. Please advise. Thanks

I think that your plan sounds lovely! The Acropolis Museum's cafe has a great view--just be sure you're not there on a Monday, when they close mid-afternoon.

What specifically are you interested in knowing about the funicular up Mt. Lyabettus? We did it in May and thought the view was well worth the trip. You can look through the columns of the Parthenon to the Aegean, which is spectacular. There is also a cafe/bar on top of the mountain.

Syntagma is perfectly safe these days. We stayed in a hotel a few meters away with no problems whatsoever. You would only want to avoid the area if there's a particularly large demonstration, which isn't likely. Don't be afraid to go to one of the hotel rooftop bars if you want--they also have great views.

Syntagma is perfectly safe these days. We stayed in a hotel a few meters away with no problems whatsoever. You would only want to avoid the area if there's a particularly large demonstration, which isn't likely. Don't be afraid to go to one of the hotel rooftop bars if you want--they also have great views.

I agree 100% with flatstanley.

How would I get there and do you think it would fit in with our plan?

I just read a little on it, that it is 7 euros, RT. Would I take a taxi there or the Metro or?? If taxi from Acropolis, any idea the cost? Thanks

I think there are two ways you could do this. You could take a taxi to the base of Mt. Lycabettus straight from the port, then go to the Acropolis after, or go to the Acropolis first, take a taxi, and watch the sunset from Lycabettus. Just be aware of the funicular's schedule--it runs on the half hour, I believe. 7 euros round trip is what we paid.

We walked from our hotel, so I'm not sure what a taxi would cost. You do have to make a pretty good climb to get to the funicular station. A taxi would spare you some of that, but I don't know if they can drive you right up to the station (the area immediately around it seemed to be pedestrian-only when we were there). You would ask the driver to get you as close to Ploutarchou (the street name) as possible.

I'm on my phone right now, but when I get back to my computer I will upload a picture or two!

Here are the pictures! One is a daytime view of the Acropolis from the top of Mt. Lycabettus. The other is an evening view from the rooftop bar of one of the hotels, to give you an idea of what you might see if you go that route.

Thanks, Flatstanley for the advice and pics!