Name change...New passport?

paladinpride

I got married about a year and a half ago and we went on a cruise for our honeymoon. Since my name was not legally changed at the time I didn't have to get a new passport. Now we are in the early stages of planning our next cruise. Do I need a new passport with my married name or would taking my marriage license be sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

The name on your passport must match the name on tickets. This would include both air and the cruise. You can use the passport in your maiden name, but then would have to have the air and sea reservations also in that name. The other choice is to get a new passport in your married name and have that be on the air and sea reservations.

I got married about a year and a half ago and we went on a cruise for our honeymoon. Since my name was not legally changed at the time I didn't have to get a new passport. Now we are in the early stages of planning our next cruise. Do I need a new passport with my married name or would taking my marriage license be sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

Typically, the name on your ID needs to match the name on your reservation. As to whether they allow "bridging documentation", I don't know for sure.

If you have made the reservation in your married name, I'd suggest calling both the cruiseline as well as the CBP people for clarification as to what's needed.

SWMBO has never changed her name on any ID documents. Where she comes from the woman DOES NOT take on the husbands last name.

As mentioned above as long as the name on your tickets and travel ID (passport) match you are good to go.

IMO wait until you renew your passport to change your name.

SWMBO has never changed her name on any ID documents. Where she comes from the woman DOES NOT take on the husbands last name.

As mentioned above as long as the name on your tickets and travel ID (passport) match you are good to go.

IMO wait until you renew your passport to change your name.

well that is nice but does not answer the OPs question she has changed her name since her honeymoon. it seems to me if you plan to travel much go ahead and bite the bullet sooner then later. or as mentioned make you airline and cruise tickets with the name on your passport.

Edited by Sherlock43031

well that is nice but does not answer the OPs question she has changed her name since her honeymoon. it seems to me if you plan to travel much go ahead and bite the bullet sooner then later. or as mentioned make you airline and cruise tickets with the name on your passport.

It doesn't matter that she's changed her name since she got married, as long as the name she books the cruise under matches the name on her passport, she's fine. She doesn't have to use her married name to book the cruise or the airfare.

Since she would have to pay for an entire new passport to change her name, no point in doing so before it's up for renewal.

I would just book the cruise in your maiden name so your cruise documents match your passport and be done with it.

Any name change is not the point. OP must have the same name on her cruise reservation and her passport. No one will be checking to see if she changed her name. She just needs to make the cruise reservation in the name that are on the passport that she will be using.

The name on the passport only has to match if the passport is presented as both the identity document and proof of citizenship document. If someone presents another government ID as proof of identity then the passport may be used to prove citizenship and having the marriage license as a bridging document may or may not be needed. Of course if you only want to present one document to prove identity and citizenship then the names should probably match.

A small point, but perhaps important. Technically, one is supposed to obtain a new passport when there is a name change. The timing of this is very fluid, however, and many women continue to use their maiden name passport until it expires. There is no illegality in doing so as long as there is no fraudulent intent. As long as you book your travel in your passport name, no problem.

However, if you book travel in your new name and intend to use your former name passport with a bridging document, that may or may not be allowed. It depends on several factors, but do not assume that a passport in a former name with a bridging document to a new name is accepted for all travel.